advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

I really can’t see my interest lasting into 2024. I’ve just been reading some financial gobbledygook about the Vegas circuit, and it makes me feel a bit queasy. The whole of F1 is turning into something I don’t like, as I may have mentioned once or twice, ;)
“Drive to Contrive” just adds too much of the celebrity element for me. Crofty still shouts at the microphone. The hour before the race used to be interesting, now it’s just adverts and more
celebrity worship.
Vegas isn’t going to do anything except make it even worse.

My one fear is that, should the Liberty bubble burst, F1 might be beyond repair.

To add to the above, the first image I tried to post with my whinge was blocked by Photobucket. Must be an official image that the algorithms detect almost instantly.

Just to have a visual with those odd high topspeed remarks some of you made after Spa.
I have looked into the GPS data and whilst the data presented by Windsor is correct it only presents a very small part of the picture as to what is happening. VER was the fastest at the end of the Kemmel straight, primarily due to DRS in qualifying. VER had already gained 0.3 secs on HAM and LEC through La Source, but then lost 0.15 secs through Eau Rouge + Raidillon, ending the straight 6 kph faster than the others. In fact once above 290 kph, VER's competitors were faster than he was, apart from the latter stages of the Kemmel Straight.

In the race the pattern was similar. Peter Windsor has quoted one off, fastest speed in the speed trap laps (i.e. data not really comparable without much more detailed analysis of the laps when they were set), whereas looking at many laps it is clear that it varies quite a bit with VER having similar speed through Eau Rouge and Raidillon and down Kemmel straight. Early in the race when VER was able to use DRS, he was 20 kph faster than the other cars he was racing, not using DRS.

In summary, RBR were faster in low and medium speed corners and were either a it slower in the speed trap or similar to other cars, but with or without DRS they were quicker by the end of the Kemmel straight.

I can't recall if it came first

365767075_748683703730408_1918651480045634457_n.jpg

Your Youtuber video led to this one:

These videos are an example of a little knowledge is dangerous. He starts with an incorrect point and then a bit later quotes some drivers who if he listened to what they were saying, he would realise that he was wrong.

Just to be clear, F1 tyres produce the greatest grip when you are cornering and braking or accelerating and cornering, not in a straight line. Which is what Mark Donohue's comment relates to. Both in terms of stability gain (very tyre and setup dependent), but also in terms of grip gain. Mark is correct that you want to be out in the combined cornering and braking and accelerating zone (Peter's tyre circle is basically correct apart from the pure longitudinal; braking and accelerating). This is where Ayrton Senna was the best driver that I have seen data for and out driving on the race track. And this is where it is most difficult to drive a car.

Peter Windsor does make some good points himself and does quote some useful comments by drivers, but completely misunderstands some of the reasons as to why the drivers do what they do.

He also talks some complete rubbish about simulators, which do allow the drivers to experiment with their line and control through the corner (especially with thermo mechanical tyre models in use). But he is correct to say that during the race the way the car reacts to inputs is changing slightly all the time at any given corner, due to cross wind, tyre temps, slight inconsistency of line, tyre deg, tyre marbles, other drivers going off line and leaving stuff on the corner etc.

In simple terms the best drivers are managing the car into the turn so that they can get the best exit, as the faster they are than any other driver on the exit, the faster they are likely to be all the way down the straight. i.e. the drivers are optimising everything for the exit to maximise their acceleration. This is why corner exits from low speed corners have a massive impact on laptime, whereas high speed corners and corner exits have so little effect on laptime.

Very simply, the driver that maximises acceleration around the lap, will be the fastest.

I remember Windsor did a shorter version of this same lecture back in the late 1990s or early 2000s for a pre-race show when he was part of the US F1 broadcast team.

advertisement

Back