advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

The straight-line speed of the Red Bull is just in a different ballpark to anyone else. It was more obvious than ever today. The rest of the grid are F2 cars in comparison.

Wasn’t the Williams fastest in a straight line today?
It’s RB’s complete package that makes them fastest round a circuit.

Another easy result for red bull ,even Perez easily finished 2nd without much effort .
Mclaren not looking good at this track ,Merc playing the bouncy castle again , Aston not really improving so not really any chance of anyone beating Max .At least Leclerc had a good race and some other good midfield battles .Sprint race totally pointless as usual !

Verstappen and the McLarens had the lowest topspeed around Spa, they won in sector 2. RB19B seems to have lower topspeed and less DRS gain.

Perez is piss poor though. Overtaken on lap 17 and finished 22 seconds behind, 27 laps later.

Not entirely fair summary I suspect: probably now knows which side his bread is buttered I.e. don’t upset the golden one; be the perfect wingman and with that in mind, don’t stress the package.

You do have to wonder don't you...considering VER overtook Perezs car like it wasn't really there...how many gearboxes this year? A few friends think they are swapping out ratios per race on the sly..:)

Nope, look at the lap before. Timestamp 4.57 below. VER was hitting the apexes much more cleanly, getting in and out of the corners much more efficiently stressing the car less and spending less time at the slower part of the corner than PER. Much shorter and better lines gaining time and getting a better run out of the corners. Not sure if PER was unsettled or the car was not working as well but his lines were fairly poor. The result was VER had much better drive and track position coming out of La Source but he had set that up earlier including the chicane. He was right behind in the tow long before the DRS zone and it was a slam dunk allied to PER clearly not going to defend.

Not entirely fair summary I suspect: probably now knows which side his bread is buttered I.e. don’t upset the golden one; be the perfect wingman and with that in mind, don’t stress the package.
In addition, every so often along comes a driver-car combination that puts everyone else in the shade. Verstappen and this particular Red Bull seems to be one of those - the best machine with the best driver for that particular machine. Perez may have the same machinery at his disposal, but he simply can't get the same out of it as Verstappen can. Think back to Vettel's stint in the team, when he won every single race after the summer break in the 2013 season, simply because Adrian Newey had provided the tool suited perfectly to his needs. Mark Webber had the same machine, but finished third in the Championship.

Unless the other teams can repeat the trick, I think that we may be in for a long period of RB domination.

Unless the other teams can repeat the trick, I think that we may be in for a long period of RB domination.

More likely the pressure will come on F1 to make changes to rules again. The US and world audiences getting bored is a bigger threat to RB than the other teams.

advertisement

Back