advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

makes an F1 pit stop look like child’s play :D

Unlike current F1 cars, you can feel, and I mean feel, the blast of noise as those cars go by. Stand at the right place for the start, and you can feel each pulse from the exhausts hitting your body. They’re truly phenomenal, and quite addictive. Nothing compares to them.

Tyre warmers are staying for next year.

The FIA and F1 will be pushing to ban them, but at least for now, the tyres are just not safe when cold, and as one driver said, they’ll look stupid coming out of the pits on cold tyres.

363811418_6600050200082799_4255248024739034020_n.jpg

How many of today's F1 juggernauts would fit?

Pat Fry as CTO is out, although staying until end of the year before joining Williams.

Alan Permane, the Sporting Director is out after 34 years at the team.

All of them are responsible for Alpine slipping to a weak 6th, when their target was a strong 4th, closing in on 3rd.

But they are only part of the problem that has held the works team back so I expect more changes.

Looks like Fry to Williams was a poaching by Vowles, not part of the reorg. According to Vowles arranged some months ago:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alpine-in-period-of-pain-and-trouble-vowles/10501489/

On this day in 1973, Zandvoort…

Every single F1 driver running at the time in that race who lap after lap passed by WIlliamson's burning car (and there were precisely 18 of them - Ronnie Peterson, Jackie Stewart, Francois Cevert, Carlos Pace, James Hunt, Denis Hulme, Carlos Reutemann /for two laps only since he retired just then/, Peter Revson, Clay Regazzoni, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Wilson Fittipaldi, Gijs Van Lennep, Graham Hill, Niki Lauda, George Follmer, Mike Hailwood, Chris Amon, Howden Ganley) had to live afterwards with a heavy burden on their conscience. David Purley stopped. None of these 18 did.
If only one did, perhaps Williamson's March could have been turned over and he might have been saved.

RIP Roger Williamson and Brave Dave Purley

Looks like Fry to Williams was a poaching by Vowles, not part of the reorg. According to Vowles arranged some months ago:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alpine-in-period-of-pain-and-trouble-vowles/10501489/
Yes, I am aware of what James has said and the timing.

It is just that Permane is responsible for trackside operations where they clearly had some problems and Otmar was responsible for the whole lot, and as the team was and is under performing, Alpine needed to sack senior people. Pat has been there for over 3 years and car performance was getting worse and so at some point (I think now), he would be held accountable for the lack of performance, and as Alpine likes to sack senior people, that is what was on the cards. Fortunately Alpine, and most teams, would e happy to warn Pat, he would have found another job and the sacking, whilst imminent, may have been avoided. And the fact that he is off to Williams (not seen as a competitor to Alpine) and they wanted someone in technical charge and had not sorted out a replacement for Pat, yet, suggests that it was all done amicably.

Otherwise it would have been odd to sack Permane and Otmar for the poor performance, which they were not fully responsible for, and leave the person who is fully responsible for the poor laptime performance, in post.

In summary I do not think that timing worked out ideally for Alpine, but they got to the point that they had to act.

Pouring down, just before the sprint race start, start delayed.

So, yet again, the best drivers in the world, in the most expensive race cars ever, on a purpose built race track…. And they can’t race because, predictably, it’s bloody raining.

Glad my Sky F1 subscription is coming to an end.

Edit: it looks quite heavy and windy lol.

On this day in 1973, Zandvoort…

Every single F1 driver running at the time in that race who lap after lap passed by WIlliamson's burning car (and there were precisely 18 of them - Ronnie Peterson, Jackie Stewart, Francois Cevert, Carlos Pace, James Hunt, Denis Hulme, Carlos Reutemann /for two laps only since he retired just then/, Peter Revson, Clay Regazzoni, Jean-Pierre Beltoise, Wilson Fittipaldi, Gijs Van Lennep, Graham Hill, Niki Lauda, George Follmer, Mike Hailwood, Chris Amon, Howden Ganley) had to live afterwards with a heavy burden on their conscience. David Purley stopped. None of these 18 did.
If only one did, perhaps Williamson's March could have been turned over and he might have been saved.

RIP Roger Williamson and Brave Dave Purley
53:45 here:

Purley received the George Medal for his actions.

In British English, does "geyser" rhyme with "geezer"?

It does not in American English. And we have geysers here. Do you?

I ask because the F1TV crew were talking about "geezers" at Eau Rouge, and it took me a while to figure out what they were on about.

At least two laps behind the safety car.

Really? Just let the buggers get on with it please!

This is boring, amateur, pointless and a waste of time.

Now let’s see how many laps it takes to clear Alonso’s car and get the safety car off the track.

Complete waste of time.

The only bit of proper racing in the whole event and Lewis gets a penalty for it...

Such a daft event.

Helmut isn't going to be happy with Checo I don't imagine, I can see Daniel rubbing his palms together in anticipation.

In British English, does "geyser" rhyme with "geezer"?

It does not in American English. And we have geysers here. Do you?

I ask because the F1TV crew were talking about "geezers" at Eau Rouge, and it took me a while to figure out what they were on about.
Yes it does.

The most exciting thing about this race are the comms handbags between CH and MV. Given that they both can’t be right which one is being an arse? The straight line speed of that RB, simply incredible.

advertisement

Back