advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Or, just shows how second rate Indycar is compared to F1.

If only F1 had 5 different winners in 5 races, three of whom were on the top step for the first time.

On the technology side I could agree, but the racing? Close, hard-fought, with some exciting upcoming talents.

If only F1 had 5 different winners in 5 races, three of whom were on the top step for the first time.

On the technology side I could agree, but the racing? Close, hard-fought, with some exciting upcoming talents.
Artificial racing, from what I’ve seen. Safety car released at the drop of a hat etc. I’ve tried, but it’s not for me.

Artificial racing, from what I’ve seen. Safety car released at the drop of a hat etc. I’ve tried, but it’s not for me.

DRS, tyres tailored to drop off a cliff, upcoming sprint races, race strategy decided by algorithm, a similar use of safety cars in F1?

I love F1, and have since the heady days of the Lotus 78, but the trope of Indy being full of artifice is a bit tired. I have been fortunate to to be at some great races ( ISTR we were both in Stowe grandstand in 1987), Canada 2011, Mansell's first win at Brands in '85, however attending the Indy 500 in 2016 was the equal in spectacle, excitement, and close racing.

Indy on the road courses is probably more akin to current F2, which doesn't lack for thrills.

He was second, should have won.

Just shows what he could have done in F1 with a decent drive.

He did have a decent drive, several of them in fact, the 2009 Renault was decent enough for ALO to win with (crashgate notwithstanding), the Lotus Renaults were good mid field cars and the 2015 Lotus was very quick. Also Haas in its first couple of years was a proper giant killer. GRO never really convinced day in and day out, could do great things occasionally but not reliably enough.

DRS, tyres tailored to drop off a cliff, upcoming sprint races, race strategy decided by algorithm, a similar use of safety cars in F1?

The tyres don’t drop off a cliff, that was a couple of years ago. I don’t like DRS, but I think it’s almost there in its application at each circuit. Similar use of safety cars? I really don’t think so, not over the course of a season.

What I really don’t like about IndyCars is the ‘spec’ cars. There isn’t really a manufacturer side to it. You just get $20m together, buy your chassis and engine, and off you go. It’s almost a single make championship.

The tyres don’t drop off a cliff, that was a couple of years ago. I don’t like DRS, but I think it’s almost there in its application at each circuit. Similar use of safety cars? I really don’t think so, not over the course of a season.

What I really don’t like about IndyCars is the ‘spec’ cars. There isn’t really a manufacturer side to it. You just get $20m together, buy your chassis and engine, and off you go. It’s almost a single make championship.

Not even almost, it is! One chassis and a choice of two engines makes it a single make to all intents and purposes.

Like you I have tried with Indycar/CART, first flirted when Our Nige went over and after for a few years. Gave up when they split up and they were both rubbish. Tried again with Dario but other than cheering him and Dan (RIP) on never really bothered. I give it a watch every so often but struggle to engage.

It’s a great pity that we seldom see Rallycross or tractor pulling - proper motorsport!

I was helping/hindering a top rallycross team 1988 to 1991. Loved it. Incredible cars, brilliant people, and a social life fuelled by large sums of sponsors’ money.
These days rallycross is a feeble, fading shadow of its heyday, with few characters. TV friendly, spectator disappointment.

Must have been exciting times - I remember a day at Croft in the late 80s watching Will Gollop in his 6R4 - a fantastic spectacle.
The team I was with were based just off Scotch Corner, very close to Croft. It was a great circuit for rallycross before they modernised it.
Yeah, Gollop and that 6R4 were an incredible sight. Real edge of your seat stuff to watch.

The team I was with were based just off Scotch Corner, very close to Croft. It was a great circuit for rallycross before they modernised it.
Yeah, Gollop and that 6R4 were an incredible sight. Real edge of your seat stuff to watch.

Will Gollop, there’s a name that's easy to remember especially when he was manhandling that 6R4. Speaking of 6R4s, did you see the Car SOS episode when they restored one for an old guy who fell ill while trying to rebuild it?

I’ll see if I can find it on YT.

McLaren Gulf Livery for Monaco :)
Gulf-MCL35-and-drivers-.jpg

Happy memories...
Ford-GT40-Mk-I-Gulf-149046.jpg

This is GT40 Chassis 1075, perhaps the greatest of all the long-distance road warriors. 6 endurance wins, including Le Mans - twice in succession, the second by this much:

MT247_1969_lemans_finish_L.jpg

One of my favourite racing liveries, along with Martini stripes and the Blue/white Brabham F1 cars.

So many classic liveries - Marlboro McLaren, Lotus JPS (black/gold) are probably the two I remember best from when I was young.

advertisement

Back