advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Pure luck.

Pure luck that Norris had nobody following.

He’s ok, car not so.

With much lower grip levels and rapidly changing grip levels due to depth of the standing water varying, the track becomes very difficult to drive for an F1 driver in an F1 car.

With no one around him, he had a long time for the car to decelerate. The car was also throwing off bits around him when he hit the barriers, that dissipated even more energy.

Halo has been proven beyond doubt now, an essential safety feature. I hate to think what would have happened in the crash above without it. Next area that needs work is the safety of marshals. That’s an obvious fail this year that needs a huge spotlight shining on it until fixed.

Vettel was obviously right about the red flag - so many shunts there recently that the pressure for change must be immense. Maybe the clerk of the course needs to use the pace car more and be quicker on the trigger once a session or race has started. Could cambers be changed to aid drainage, rather than butchering Eau Rouge? The weather isn't going to change so the circuit may have to.

And Russell's performance - just brilliant!

Russell outstanding drive , must have signed his Merc contract yesterday . Norris also very good , shame he had the spin . We now have 2 great British prospects for the future

RUS has got a well sorted setup on his car, that was spot on for qualifying. Getting the tyres into the ball park operational temperature window is what is the big differentiator in conditions like that. Some drivers and engineers (vehicle setup, directions for outlap etc) are just better at doing that.

Now before we all get too carried away, this does not mean that he will be quick in the race, as the conditions will have changed, but clearly he is well placed for a good result in the wet.

Will be interesting to see how Lando Norris does today, that was some accident he had.

I Googled Lando Norris and one of the articles that came up was this, which includes an item saying the decision on the second seat at Mercedes has been made.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/6...nfirms-russell-decision-made-gpfans-f1-recap/

Anyone heard of this website or used it before?
I don't know, but I have been told by a source (who will know), within the team, that BOT is leaving the team.

There are other articles that suggest that the deal is done.

As I said above George Russell did look very upbeat yesterday and that was before his lap, he just looked very pleased and his body language was very positive.

I don't know, but I have been told by a source (who will know), within the team, that BOT is leaving the team.

There are other articles that suggest that the deal is done.

I think you are probably right and it makes sense for Mercedes more than anyone. Hamilton, as good as he is, could start falling away any time as in F1 terms he's no spring chicken and very few can drive into their late 30s/early 40s at the same level as earlier in their career. Clearly someone like Russell is a very strong case for being a future WC so why not get him in the car next season before he finds somewhere else to drive. I like Bottas as a person (from what I have seen of him) and he's a very good driver, but he's not in the same bracket as Hamilton/Verstappen and I feel Mercedes would need a much better car than the other teams for him to win a WC whereas Russell may well deliver even with a few different teams at the top of their game. With 2022 being conducted under a massively changed set of rules nothing is guaranteed so if I were Merc I'd have Russell in that second seat.

With very different cars next year Merc might as well start with a new driver as who know knows whether Bottas or Russell will adapt better….my money is on Russell to adapt better. We’ve seen this year how long it can take to settle into a new car.

WRT marshalling, a GT Mclaren has just finished up on the wrong side of the barrier at Brands, again.
From a spectator point of view I loathe catch fencing but that shunt was another potential disaster. The faster the cars, the more kinetic energy there is to dissipate. It follows that the circuits have to adapt or the cars have to be slowed down.

I've sent my sim laps to Toto again hoping to get the BOT seat, so fingers crossed.

Although as a sim racer, obviously I only ever race GT3 cars at Spa so will have to put in some work learning the other circuits.

Is anyone watching this… they can’t start a race in these conditions surely? If they do I really hope there’s no bad incidents as the track looks borderline impossible to drive.

advertisement

Back