advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Good analysis as always by Motorsport magazine explaining why Merc were on pole despite RB being the quickest car all weekend and then the somewhat hopeless task they faced. Even if BOT had managed to block VER path at the first corner, you get the feeling that with both RB in contention, it was only a matter of time until VER would have got ahead using the undercut. However we were denied this much more entertaining outcome and settled in for a race on the FF button.

VER did a great job at that first corner, it was a very tricky move even in a RB and a excellent calculated gamble. He would have known that the Mercs were not great at that corner all weekend. Its what makes him a very special driver not merely "very good". BOT is "very good" PER is "very good". They can win in those cars of course but what makes great drivers is winning consistently in varying conditions, over many years and against many competitors. This is what critics of HAM, MSC, Senna, Fangio and many other "drivers in the best car" miss every time. They are in the best car because they are the best drivers and make the difference in those sometimes tiny opportunities to win a race, they can elevate their performances when it matters. They can't make a Haas win a race but in a sport where the top cars are separated by milliseconds sometimes, they can make the difference.

Excellent post and totally agree about Max at that first corner, it was a superb maneuver expertly executed by a truly great driver.

By @cutting42

“This is what critics of HAM, MSC, Senna, Fangio and many other "drivers in the best car" miss every time. They are in the best car because they are the best drivers and make the difference in those sometimes tiny opportunities to win a race, they can elevate their performances when it matters.”

But many people don’t want to believe that, even though it’s spot on. Being savvy enough to manoeuvre your way into a better team and contract is also an essential part of F1, now that mafia backing is pretty much gone ;)

By @cutting42

“This is what critics of HAM, MSC, Senna, Fangio and many other "drivers in the best car" miss every time. They are in the best car because they are the best drivers and make the difference in those sometimes tiny opportunities to win a race, they can elevate their performances when it matters.”

But many people don’t want to believe that, even though it’s spot on. Being savvy enough to manoeuvre your way into a better team and contract is also an essential part of F1, now that mafia backing is pretty much gone ;)

Ricciardo vs Verstappen is a good example of this IMO. I'd much prefer to have a beer with the former, the latter is the better driver and competitor. Ricciardo ran from the fight at Red Bull, and in so doing gave up any possibility of ever becoming an F1 champion.

I'll be interested to see if Verstappen matures into a more likable person once he's achieved a title or two.

Ricciardo ran from the fight at Red Bull, and in so doing gave up any possibility of ever becoming an F1 champion.

I think Ricciardo was more upset about the money than the competition. He didn't run from the fight so much as run toward a bigger paycheck.

I think Ricciardo was more upset about the money than the competition. He didn't run from the fight so much as run toward a bigger paycheck.

I believe RB did offer him more money ultimately than Renoo but his mind was made up by then. I always felt it was more down to RB not believing in him. They put all their cards on VER (probably correctly) and RIC wanted a proper shot at being the number or at least with equal billing. He knew he never would be at RB when VER was there. I think he would happily go toe to toe with him - after all he had the beating of him initially - the issue was the lack of support/belief.

That’s it. Red Bulls are fast again, Hamilton taking a grid penalty for an engine change.

RB are always fast this year, their car works and they understand it pretty well. HAM penalty is only 5 places rather than 10 and you can overtake in Brazil, best track to take it at and still better than a DNF.

Hmmm, not sure how wise another engine and the resultant penalty is. I appreciate Mercedes must know they have an issue with the used engines, but Hamilton is not going to win the championship by starting 6th or lower against Verstappen in his current form. Might it not have been a better idea to just suck it and see for a couple of further races at least. If he suffers a DNF then so be it, but he has to finish ahead of Verstappen this weekend to have any realistic chance now and Mercedes have all but assured that won't happen barring some freak circumstance.

Hmmm, not sure how wise another engine and the resultant penalty is. I appreciate Mercedes must know they have an issue with the used engines, but Hamilton is not going to win the championship by starting 6th or lower against Verstappen in his current form. Might it not have been a better idea to just suck it and see for a couple of further races at least. If he suffers a DNF then so be it, but he has to finish ahead of Verstappen this weekend to have any realistic chance now and Mercedes have all but assured that won't happen barring some freak circumstance.

Merc are not gamblers not many front running teams are. That is why a midfield team can occasionally knock one in, throwing a hail mary or taking a chance on a tyre not blowing or an engine not grenading suits Aston, Alpine or even McLaren

I wonder if Mercedes have decided that they must try and make sure they win the constructors this year and are trying to make sure they maximise that over the drivers title.

The way Lewis has been speaking these last few days is maybe an indication that this is what Mercedes is planning.

Really enjoyed that. But the post race interview just now with Lewis was a bit Ew....

"They had so much pace today. Nothing I could do. When you've got Checo on your tail for the last 10 laps it's obviously a very quick car"

Nice one Lewis. Mask slipped a bit there.

Yeah. Really. On Sky. Just now. Post race interview.

Thought it was a bit of a low blow and a disingenuous thing to say on the best day of the guys life at his home GP TBH.

Not his usual magnanimous in defeat persona. The mask is slipping.
I didn't interpret that as a slight on Checo's ability, but a comment about how difficult it is to follow closely in these cars.

Hamilton's car under investigation for DRS technical infringement. If found in breach it's a pitlane start in the sprint race for him. Mercedes just don't know how to stop screwing up this season!

Yeah. Really. On Sky. Just now. Post race interview.

Thought it was a bit of a low blow and a disingenuous thing to say on the best day of the guys life at his home GP TBH.

Not his usual magnanimous in defeat persona. The mask is slipping.

Waffle.

Hamilton's car under investigation for DRS technical infringement. If found in breach it's a pitlane start in the sprint race for him. Mercedes just don't know how to stop screwing up this season!
And Verstappen is under investigation for mooching around parc fermé, checking out Hamilton’s rear wing. Not allowed.

I read that car 44s rear wing has been removed and sealed under the supervision of Bauer pending further investigations
Apparently RB (Adrian Newey) presented a large amount of evidence to the stewards questioning the legality of the MB wings 1 hour before qualifying took place

Sebastian-Vettel-PA2-952x714.jpg
Sebastian-Vettel-PA-21.jpg

advertisement

Back