advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Really enjoyed that. But the post race interview just now with Lewis was a bit Ew....

" They had so much pace today. Nothing I could do. When you've got Checo on your tail for the last 10 laps it's obviously a very quick car"

Nice one Lewis. Mask slipped a bit there.

Really? He made it clear a couple of times during the race that the Red Bulls were too fast, and in the last race too.

Yeah. Really. On Sky. Just now. Post race interview.

Thought it was a bit of a low blow and a disingenuous thing to say on the best day of the guys life at his home GP TBH.

Not his usual magnanimous in defeat persona. The mask is slipping.

Yeah. Really. On Sky. Just now. Post race interview.

No, I meant that he didn't really let his mask slip there. It was obvious for all to see that the Red Bulls are faster as a team, so no point trying to say anything else really. Toto ws quite clear about it too.

You've lost me on that one. Brawn and Ilmor?

Well BAR begat Honda which begat Brawn which was bought by Daimler. I'm probably wrong but thought that M-B F1 engines made at Brixworth used to be Ilmor. Whatever there's not a busting lot of Mercedes other than recent management and money.

Well BAR begat Honda which begat Brawn which was bought by Daimler. I'm probably wrong but thought that M-B F1 engines made at Brixworth used to be Ilmor. Whatever there's not a busting lot of Mercedes other than recent management and money.

Yebbut saying Brawn/Ilmor/Honda/Mercedes/ Daimler each time would get tiring. And that's before you look at the team before Honda!

Fair 'nuff, but he needs to build a better car. Brawn/Ilmor have been behind RB on aero for quite a while, OK there's only one Adrian Newey, the Honda engine is tip-top too now. It's Verstappen's to lose.
The Merc aero has been very close to the RBR aero for many years. This year, as I have explained elsewhere in the thread, the aero rules were changed to penalise the Merc low rake aero solution as the rule makers wanted a closer championship. This brought the Merc and RBR cars closer together, whilst making it much more difficult for Aston Martin who have moved back down the grid as they did not find such effective solutions as Merc did to the rule changes.

VER and Lewis are very close as drivers and the cars are very close, with race car setup differences having a significant effect on 1 lap qualifying vs long run pace in the race. This has made the championship very close. The qualifying battle between Lewis and VER is very close at 9 vers 9.

So, as I have said for years, a very good driver in the best car wins. The boot is now on the other foot and the the easy life is over for Merc and Hamilton.

Yes, I know, I was working there throughout.

Once Toto and then Paddy Lowe arrived they lucked in to what Bob Bell and Ross Brawn had set up. Ross left first and then Bob Bell left (around 2014). But the team had enough depth and so many good processes in place that it dominated for many years, despite the rule makers trying to make it more and more difficult for Mercedes to win.

Brixworth, like the Brackley part of the team, have had large infrastructure investments made by Mercedes that have helped the team to remain at the top for so long.

Toto made it obvious that he wasn’t happy about Bottas letting Verstappen take the racing line at turn one, lap one, and pretty much cruise into P1.
That was pretty weak from Bottas. He kept his car ruler straight all the way down, braked too early. He should’ve let the the car drift Left and even if braked too late it would’ve forced Max out too wide to make the corner. Instead he gave him the almost ideal entry into that corner.

Max is driving too well in a faster car to make life even easier for him. Big fail from Bottas there & Merc have made the right decision in letting him go.

Exactly, he is fast enough to out qualify Lewis on occasion and win the race from pole, but if he has to overtake other drivers then he shows that he is much weaker than other drivers who might get into one of the Mercedes F1 2 seats.

Think this was shown today as Bottas tried to get past Ricciardo.

Also told you Max would win :p

Yes, I know, I was working there throughout.

Once Toto and then Paddy Lowe arrived they lucked in to what Bob Bell and Ross Brawn had set up. Ross left first and then Bob Bell left (around 2014). But the team had enough depth and so many good processes in place that it dominated for many years, despite the rule makers trying to make it more and more difficult for Mercedes to win.

Brixworth, like the Brackley part of the team, have had large infrastructure investments made by Mercedes that have helped the team to remain at the top for so long.

Indeed but I was replying to Tony, who I guess was having a bit of a joke. If it was you that said I'd lost you I'd have been 100% sure the piss was being taken!;)

That was truly piss poor by Bottas. No wonder Toto was annoyed. I think a fair summary of Bottas' CV would be: occasionally quick in qualifying, can't overtake, supine in defense, hates the rain.

Brilliant drive from Lord Sir Lewis in an inferior car to hold on for an impressive second.

Chirpy upstart Verstappen lucky that Bottas steering wheel got stuck and forced him to drive to the wrong side of the track and allow Max through. Once you have the lead and the best car it's super easy and they might as well have ended the race off at the end of lap 1.

Good analysis as always by Motorsport magazine explaining why Merc were on pole despite RB being the quickest car all weekend and then the somewhat hopeless task they faced. Even if BOT had managed to block VER path at the first corner, you get the feeling that with both RB in contention, it was only a matter of time until VER would have got ahead using the undercut. However we were denied this much more entertaining outcome and settled in for a race on the FF button.

VER did a great job at that first corner, it was a very tricky move even in a RB and a excellent calculated gamble. He would have known that the Mercs were not great at that corner all weekend. Its what makes him a very special driver not merely "very good". BOT is "very good" PER is "very good". They can win in those cars of course but what makes great drivers is winning consistently in varying conditions, over many years and against many competitors. This is what critics of HAM, MSC, Senna, Fangio and many other "drivers in the best car" miss every time. They are in the best car because they are the best drivers and make the difference in those sometimes tiny opportunities to win a race, they can elevate their performances when it matters. They can't make a Haas win a race but in a sport where the top cars are separated by milliseconds sometimes, they can make the difference.

advertisement

Back