advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

I wonder how much it’d cost to buy Sky out of the contract. It runs until 2024, so potentially a lot of misery for Britain unless a compromise is reached. I think C4 only have the one year for now, maybe a better service next year?

I understand that some races will be broadcast on sky1 , I have this with my virgin package so will be able to watch without additional cost . I still prefer the channel 4 offering and sad to see sky are giving them restricted access .

On the basis that F1 is substantially if not completely advertising dependent, surely improving viewing figures is more important to the teams than revenue to Liberty?
As for the Liberty model of lets do everything the American way and make the show bigger and therefore better. Well good luck with that, it's not for me and I suspect many others.

Yeah, he seemed at times like the only cool-headed and completely rationale figure in the sport. A big loss at any time but just a few days before the start of the new season will be tough on quite a few people who have to get on with the racing. RIP.

RIP Mr Whiting. A legend. Along with Prof Sid, most of the old guard has passed now.

Bernie soldiers on. Watching Liberty fail must be keeping him going.

I understand that some races will be broadcast on sky1 , I have this with my virgin package so will be able to watch without additional cost . I still prefer the channel 4 offering and sad to see sky are giving them restricted access .

We get Sky 1 through Virgin too and them showing the first few races on that channel is just a ploy to tempt the likes of me and you to subscribe to the full Sports package. Time will tell if they're successful...

I am certainly going to miss the live coverage, including the Friday Practice Sessions however my problem is that there is nothing else on Sky that I want: No Films; No Rugby; No Golf; No Football; No Cricket = No subscription.
I am intrigued by the idea of using a VPN - if possible can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Either I have totally misunderstood your post or you are looking at a different Sky to me.

Cricket-Ashes, World Cup etc Overseas tests and a dedicated channel.
Golf-all PGA and European events, Ryder Cup and a dedicated channel.
Loads of football for those that like it but wrong shaped ball and not enough blood for me so agree there.
Films, almost never watch.

Charlie RIP too, a fixture in my watching F1 for decades.

I find the Sky coverage actually lacking, especially in the screen resolutions, they still use 768dpi, not even 1080 (its upscaled), when now we should be seeing it in 4K. I believe there is a '4k' option for even more money through Sky. It shows lack of investment and increase in charges.
Don't think you are correct there. When they started advertising F1 in HD, it was certainly upscaled. They changed, I believe, to 1080i (not P) several years ago and have been offering 4K for sometime.
Where is does lack is on Sky Go. I sometimes watch that and it is not as good.

Don't think you are correct there. When they started advertising F1 in HD, it was certainly upscaled. They changed, I believe, to 1080i (not P) several years ago and have been offering 4K for sometime.
Where is does lack is on Sky Go. I sometimes watch that and it is not as good.

Possibly, I know through Now TV it is upscaled, and my brother tells me 4K is available on Sky but at yet more money.

The NOW TV definition maybe the same as your Sky Go thing?

I resent Sky using subscribers' money to buy up rights to sports and then denying those sports to any non-Sky users, I will therefore never buy into Sky!

My sentiment exactly. The best thing for the sport is more followers. I hope Liberty Media regret their decision.

How long until they introduce something as utterly ridiculous as fan boost?

Possibly, I know through Now TV it is upscaled, and my brother tells me 4K is available on Sky but at yet more money.

The NOW TV definition maybe the same as your Sky Go thing?
Not sure on that. I thought that NOW TV was just a daily pass to use the service but never checked into it. Sky Go is internet access to Sky on other devices. I think it's limited to 2 or 3 so you can watch the race on a PC, laptop or phone.

The cameras are all 4K nowadays so I would assume downscaled to 1080.

EDIT Had a look at NOW TV and yes it looks like it is the Sky Go internet offering on a PAYG basis so the quality is indeed inferior to the TV service via a box. Makes sense now.

Well I like the Sky coverage. There is enough of it for the days I spend the afternoon in the kitchen chef-ing and highlights when I don't or am away. Crofty is a decent primary commentator with Martin the best colour in the business. Karun is a far better commentator and colour than he ever was as a driver Less keen on Ted and Natalie and really wish they would lose Johnny and Nico, they do not add much IMO. Looking forward to Jenson's input and Ant does a great job on the analysis of fastest laps.

Moto E-bikes at a Jerez test caught fire, undoing any ‘good’ they did the environment within a few minutes.

advertisement

Back