advertisement

The 2019 F1 season.

The tech is quite amazing isn’t it. The directional power of the airflow over the front wing being pushed in a small defined area, becoming the reason the car sticks to the road whilst also routing the air back under the chassis to suck it to the ground. Then compounded with this then making it impossible for a car to follow.. which then led to DRS to enable overtaking again, which has now become boring and not racing..

I’m looking forward to 2021, just a bit gutted that that is all the commentators and manufacturers are going to be talking about (or using as an excuse!) in 2019/2020.... Should have just had a year out and redesigned it with a big launch in 2020.

In #155 I said the buck stops with the person at the top. That person employed Paddy. I.e. the team principal employed Paddy as the technical director or CTO (grade inflation).

But that does not mean that in every case the person at the top should leave the team as they cannot know how to make a fast racing car. In this case they employed Paddy to do so and he failed. If the team principal left the team, and Paddy continued, why would you expect anything different as Paddy has the same control that he had before (i.e. everything technical)?

Just to be clear, Paddy was responsible for the design, development, manufacture and racing of the Williams car. He reported to the team principal who was responsible for the overall leadership of the team.

Generally it is a game of politics who actually gets fired when it all goes wrong. For example, Geoff Willis was the Technical Director at Honda F1 and was fired in 2006 instead of Nick Fry, the CEO or team principal, after a year of under performance.

Hi Ian,

Ok, I understand a bit more now, thanks for that, appreciate your time.

One question, with the team appearing to have been behind some other teams for some time now and with this latest development happening how do you see the team progressing to get back into contention?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

It all depends on who they put in charge and the changes they make to turn the team round. Paddy seemed to try to turn it round by assuming that everyone knew what they were doing, whilst interfering a bit, but clearly that approach did not work or else they would not be in this mess.

Williams were at the top for a long time and many people there continue to assume that their way of working is the the best way there is and so have not changed. Meanwhile the rest of the grid has moved on...

To turn this around requires big changes. Possibly like when David Richards turned British American Racing around in 2002.

Ian

I must be getting old, I could have sworn during the Hunt / Lauda era they got a point for fasted lap, maybe I am mistaken.

I must be getting old, I could have sworn during the Hunt / Lauda era they got a point for fasted lap, maybe I am mistaken.

One point for fastest race lap was awarded 1950 - 1959.
It's the reason Stirling Moss was beaten to the Driver's championship by Mike Hawthorn in spite of winning more races than Hawthorn in 1958.

Maybe you're not old enough!

I know the BBC no longer broadcasts F1 on tv anymore, but at least they could keep up to date; the last entry in their Sport F1 page Gossip Column is dated 28 February!!

A friend has his own successful business installing home entertainment systems. And guess what? A lot of the time he’s removing Sky as part of the work, not installing it.

Hi,

If you like F1 as a sport to follow I would suggest £200 a year is not much to pay for the coverage you will get, especially on Sky, ok it is more expensive there as you have to buy a Sky basic package and add F1.

If you follow golf and go to watch a big competition you can pay a lot for just that one event, similar applies to a football season ticket I would assume.

I would agree there are a lot of alternatives to Sky as a home entertainment system, however for F1 they are very good. You may not like the presenters but the coverage is great.

When you say £200 is a lot, add up the cost of going the the British GP......

Cheers

John

Or for much less just buy a season ticket to your local race track and enjoy the thrill of getting off the bloody sofa!

Hi,

If you like F1 as a sport to follow I would suggest £200 a year is not much to pay for the coverage you will get, especially on Sky, ok it is more expensive there as you have to buy a Sky basic package and add F1.

If you follow golf and go to watch a big competition you can pay a lot for just that one event, similar applies to a football season ticket I would assume.

I would agree there are a lot of alternatives to Sky as a home entertainment system, however for F1 they are very good. You may not like the presenters but the coverage is great.

When you say £200 is a lot, add up the cost of going the the British GP......

Cheers

John

The F1 is actually on free to air in many European countries, hence why a huge portion of UK viewers use VPN's to watch overseas streams. I think you suggest it, because its affordable to you. There are lots of fans out there who can't afford it, and strictly speaking, if this was the case when Lewis Hamilton was growing up, he wouldnt have been able to afford it either. Does make you wonder where the next drivers come from in the UK, if they can't even watch something growing up.

I find the Sky coverage actually lacking, especially in the screen resolutions, they still use 768dpi, not even 1080 (its upscaled), when now we should be seeing it in 4K. I believe there is a '4k' option for even more money through Sky. It shows lack of investment and increase in charges.

Even Liberty Media , the owners of F1, want it to be free to air, but Sky has its contract that they intend to rape until it ends, thus ensuring they make as much from it as they can before its removed, hence the 25% price increase in the space of a year. I have no objection in paying for something I enjoy - I dont drink/smoke etc, so I see this as my Sunday pint and a fag, but when the ugly head of capitalism rears like in this 25% increase with no investment in the user experience, it can be quite sickening.

Options for those to reduce the cost is you can split it between two devices, so essentially share the bill with a friend and its £100 for the season, which is a little more palatable for me anyway. Or you can buy multiple Now TV vouches and run it at a cost of around £165, but only race days.

We still get to see highlights on C4 don’t we? That’s good enough for me. To be honest I think I prefer that format as it gets shut of the boring bits!

Or for much less just buy a season ticket to your local race track and enjoy the thrill of getting off the bloody sofa!

I might, however Knockhill is my nearest and a couple of hours away and usually the events, apart from the British Saloon championship, are pretty second rate.

So I am unlikely to see any F1 unless I go once a year to the British GP, and this is what this thread is about, it's about F1, not watching lower categories of motor sport!

I do actually get off my bloody sofa, I walk each day between 5 to 10 miles depending where I walk either hill or coast.

advertisement

Back