advertisement

The 2017 F1 Thread

We may even get to a point where Mercedes decide one driver must support the other as it looks like Vettel is No. 1 at Ferarri whether Kimi likes it or not based on the results this season so far. And it looks like Hamilton will be his main challenger unless Bottas pulls a rabbit out of the hat or Ferarri suffer reliability/ development issues that make them uncompetitive. If the current trend continues, I reckon we'll have a lead Merc driver by race 12, Belgium.

Great PR by Ferrari, following Kimi's early demise, inviting his tearful young fan into the pits to meet him. Someone's clearly watching more than just the racing.

Great PR by Ferrari, following Kimi's early demise, inviting his tearful young fan into the pits to meet him. Someone's clearly watching more than just the racing.

It was brilliant and Ted's interview with the lad (Thomas) and his parents later on was fun as well. He had the day of his life thanks to Ferrari.

Not sure where the previous F1 thread is.

Raikkonen on pole with Vettel second. Will Kimi be obliged to allow Vettel to pass or will it be engineered in the pits?

Button inherits Alonso's penalties which is a shame but not unexpected.

If nothing else, we're guaranteed excitement as Hamilton tries to recover from a catastrophic qualifying.

What a remarkably boring couple of hours.

Team orders. KR well p*ssed off.

Not making me want to watch another one.

On the issue of safety car procedures, should it enable those lagging behind to catch up with those clearly quicker? Given the current technology, it should be easy for each car to retain, but not improve upon their status because of some incident.

Was there not an incident a few years ago when a driver was instructed to crash so that his teammate would gain such an advantage?

On the issue of safety car procedures, should it enable those lagging behind to catch up with those clearly quicker? Given the current technology, it should be easy for each car to retain, but not improve upon their status because of some incident.

Was there not an incident a few years ago when a driver was instructed to crash so that his teammate would gain such an advantage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Formula_One_crash_controversy

Pretty boring race , I think Jenson just got bored following the sauber and thought he may as well give it a shot , perhaps he misjudged things but the only interesting thing in the race .I felt sorry for Kimmi as he deserved the win

Pretty boring race , I think Jenson just got bored following the sauber and thought he may as well give it a shot , perhaps he misjudged things but the only interesting thing in the race .I felt sorry for Kimmi as he deserved the win

Yawn fest. (And we love F1.)

The Ferrari 'switch' using the pitstop was so transparent that I predicted it as soon as Räikkönen started leading the race. A pit switch is not as blatant as a 'team order'.

Red Bull appeared to do the same thing to get Ricciardo in front of Verstappen without team orders.

Takuma Sato won a race?
And Alonso retires with a blown Honda engine. All change/no change!

As for Monaco, it was pretty clear that Vettel was faster than Raikkonen. As soon as Raikkonen was out of the way Vettel was able to pile in faster lap after faster lap. I'm sure Ferrari didn't mind that situation, and used it to give Vettel the win, but they hardly engineered it.

Also .... JB for driver of the day for at least trying to overtake another car! I read that there was one overtake during the race, but I must have blinked and missed it.

Pretty boring race

I didn't find it thus, but then, to me, Monaco is somehow magical, part of the sport's heritage, no matter how unsuitable it is for modern cars - as Nelson Piquet famously put it, like flying through your living room in a helicopter. And is modern F1 racing really any different from the days when Jim Clark or Jackie Stewart would vanish into the distance? I guess it's the difference between an enthusiasts' sport and the mass entertainment it has become.

I suddenly realised with a jolt that the first Monaco GP I ever watched was 50 years ago, won by Denny Hulme in his championship year, motoring casually around the bendy bits one-handed. It was also the one in which Lorenzo Bandini tragically lost his life, causing succeeding races to be shortened from 100 to 80 laps.

:) Mine was only 42 years ago Tones!

IME the best thing about it was the sound when actually there. I've cycled down to the event before and the roar of unbridled power around the harbour and out of the tunnel is mighty impressive.

Somehow it never did translate to TV IME.

Still, I find today's variant remarkably boring for some reason. I guess it's me - as you say it never was exactly gripping racing.

If nothing else it highlighted the importance of 'banking' a lap early in qualifying. I really can't believe Hamilton made such a rookie error, especially on a track where someone hitting the wall is a tradition. Has there ever been a qualification there without a crash?

The race was typical Monaco, largely a procession, but interesting scenery and the odd incident to keep ones attention. Very pleased to see Ferrari so competitive, Red Bull looking pretty good too so there might be a fair bit of actual racing later in the seasons. Based on qualification the Ferraris seemed far faster than the Mercs this week.

advertisement

Back