advertisement

TECHNICS SL1200/1210. HYPE OR FACT?

Why would you need an especially low OP impedance to run a motor of a couple of hundred watts?
I think the consumption will be way less than that. The nominal power consumption is 13.5W.

The SL1200 has a simple discrete transistor regulator. Replacing this with a better regulator may be advantageous, but I think the design assumes a voltage regulator rather than a filter. Voltage regulators have, by definition, low output impedance. Teddy regs are more about very low noise than stiff voltage supplies.

If you leave the onboard regulator in circuit then I think its noise will dominate.

It would be interesting to do some open research on the SL1200, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors about. £400 12v PSUs, for example.

Paul

Doesn't it need 21V?

The problem will still be in finding a way to measure what you've 'improved'.
Your demodulation approach showed promise I thought.

It could well be 21v....

An interesting possibility is to capture the output of the frequency generator before it is filtered and turned into an error signal. This is how Technics establish the basic performance of the deck, but doing it while playing a record might be revealing.

Paul

Sonddek - is there any way you can swap that 17D3 onto your ekos2? I'm running a 17D3 on my LP12/ittok and think it is great. I expect that it would be killer on an ekos on an SLS1210.

I always look forward to your posts on the Technics, as it seems to me that you're one a the main guys who treats it like its a serious contender, what with your ekos2 setup. Keep the updates coming...thanks

Thanks - I'm just playing really.

The 17D3 was attached to the Simplex, and the very kind dealer brought it round for me to have a listen on my own system. I thought asking to remove the 17D3 might be taking the mickey.

Rather than annoy anyone else with a PM, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I have bought an SL-1200MK2 and am selling a WT Classic, regardless of the relative merits of either. I can rest easy knowing I can get a WT Simplex or Amadeus later.

Meanwhile, I would like to do a few things to the Technics and seek advice and reassurance. I don't not have an Art of Sound budget and anything I do I want to be undoable so I can return the deck to stock with minimum fuss.

It came with a cork mat. I've bought an SDS mat and cover since the bloke was nice on the phone.

It came with Isonoe feet, so I'll stick with those.

I've bought a Sumiko headshell and a Rega Carbon to put in it, my plan is to put a working DV10x5 in it later.

It came with a Jelco arm board so if I change the arm it would probably be the Jelco.

I can't solder. The KAB psu seems not to require this ability?! And the deck can be returned to stock if this is removed..? The Paul Hynes PSUs look good but expensive. Other options seem to amount to charging me £250+ for doing the same as taking the existing psu out and 'sticking it in a plastic box for a tenner'.

Vantage Audio seems to be in deep hibernation...

I don't really want to spend £500 on a Mike New bearing (if he decides to make any more) unless I am advised (here) that I must do so.

Any thoughts on the above or anything related very welcome...

Alex, did the Isonoe feet come with the sorbothane "boots"?

The only other suggestion I'd make is getting the stock arm rewired + better phono plugs.

My advice would be to use the deck without further mods and put a DV10x5 on it now rather than later. it will be a far bigger upgrade than peripheral mods of questionable merit.

It has a fine power supply, plenty of torque and holds rock steady speed - stock.

if you want to experiment with things that will directly impact the sound without breaking the bank, play around with mats.
Try felt, cork, rubber, glass, plastic .....anything you like. These will modify the presentation.

But please put a decent cartridge on it as a matter of priority.

Greg, I had Foculpods in a drawer from another failed adventure. These are under a 2" slab of slate with the Isonoed deck on that, so I decided not to bother with boots.

Robert, point taken. Whatever I do is very much a what's in the parts bin or what's easy to sell on category. The deck didn't come with Technics mats, just the cork, so I thought I'd play around just a little there.

This is just having a bit of fun whilst learning how to set up a deck properly since up to now I've relied on others. As I say, the idea is to be able to return it to stock within the hour and recover nearly all costs.. Will also get slip-mats for the girls, another reason for the DV not to be my only cart option.

Rather than annoy anyone else with a PM, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I have bought an SL-1200MK2 and am selling a WT Classic, regardless of the relative merits of either. I can rest easy knowing I can get a WT Simplex or Amadeus later.

Meanwhile, I would like to do a few things to the Technics and seek advice and reassurance. I don't not have an Art of Sound budget and anything I do I want to be undoable so I can return the deck to stock with minimum fuss.

It came with a cork mat. I've bought an SDS mat and cover since the bloke was nice on the phone.

It came with Isonoe feet, so I'll stick with those.

I've bought a Sumiko headshell and a Rega Carbon to put in it, my plan is to put a working DV10x5 in it later.

It came with a Jelco arm board so if I change the arm it would probably be the Jelco.

I can't solder. The KAB psu seems not to require this ability?! And the deck can be returned to stock if this is removed..? The Paul Hynes PSUs look good but expensive. Other options seem to amount to charging me £250+ for doing the same as taking the existing psu out and 'sticking it in a plastic box for a tenner'.

Vantage Audio seems to be in deep hibernation...

I don't really want to spend £500 on a Mike New bearing (if he decides to make any more) unless I am advised (here) that I must do so.

Any thoughts on the above or anything related very welcome...

I have a KAB psu that's doing nothing PM if you are interested. It's 230 volts.

So, with an SDS mat (which may have just enabled correct VTA) and a Rega Carbon (funky little fellow) in a Sumiko headshell the SL-1200 sounds pretty decent. Almost all the things I didn't like a week ago have now gone.

I've said this before, but for me, the big jump in 1200 performance occurs when you just take out the power supply. I have no idea why, as it looks well shielded enough. I don't bother taking the deck seriously until this is done. Sure, it'll keep speed beautifully in stock form, but it can be more than that. Take out the power supply, put it in a plastic box, and have a good listen. If you're starting to like it, think about a one grand arm.

I also thoroughly recommend the thick rubber Technics mat. Whatever other mat you use, put it on top of the thick rubber one. I suspect the platter was designed to be used only with this mat. It kills the ringing, and significantly increases the weight of the platter. The only problem with it is that it overlaps the slight lip at the edge of the platter, by a millimetre, which raises the edge. I use a sharp knife to remove a flange all the way around the mat so that it lies completely flat. Put your favourite mat on top of that.

Don't worry about feet or bearings until you have a bad 1200 obsession, and have mounted a very fancy arm.

All IMHO, of course.

So, with an SDS mat (which may have just enabled correct VTA) and a Rega Carbon (funky little fellow) in a Sumiko headshell the SL-1200 sounds pretty decent. Almost all the things I didn't like a week ago have now gone.

And after about 50 albums the little fellow will be a smoother dude into the bargain.

Mr Tibbs

Smoother would be good... Anyway, he's going on the WT Classic for dem purposes and a DV20x will grace the Tech. You have taken the sensible Linn route, I'm fitting a cartridge roughly twice the cost of the deck...

Smoother would be good... Anyway, he's going on the WT Classic for dem purposes and a DV20x will grace the Tech. You have taken the sensible Linn route, I'm fitting a cartridge roughly twice the cost of the deck...

Technics built three and a half million of this deck, and it has ended up being very affordable. As soon as you open one up and look at what's inside it's pretty obvious why this deck cost more than twice as much as a Sondek when they were introduced. Leaving aside any arguments about what sounds better, just looking at how the two decks were engineered and manufactured illustrates quite clearly that the SL1200 is a serious bit of kit at a knock-down price. I see no reason why it shouldn't be a platform for expensive and affordable cartridges alike.

50037437-00002.png

technics_1210_turntable.jpg

I'm not sure what route I'm on and where it will end up but in the meantime I'm enjoying the journey a lot!

Mr Tibbs

My Teccie it's getting an Ortofon 2M Bronze. It has a Blue, presently. The original transfo has long gone. Sounds better than the CD player most of the time, but not always, depends on the pressing/mastering.

advertisement

Back