advertisement

TECHNICS SL1200/1210. HYPE OR FACT?

Except that's not what 'someone' said. The quote is just up thread.

The fact that some 'audiophiles' find expensive items sound better than equivalent cheap ones is obvious, but I don't think that Heybrook or Thorens priced their turntables on that basis (although Basis may have..).

FWIW I'm not at all convinced that the SL1200 outperforms (say) a Rega P3 in sound-quality terms. It would be interesting to find out one day.

Paul
Not the 3, the 7 actually. I've owned the Rega 3, 5, and 7. I own a SL1200 MK5. I like the SL1200 better than any of the Regas. From strict "performance" checklist the 1200 is preferred over the Rega 3 and 5, the 7 evens the gap and in fact has better detail and imaging, but none of the Regas have the musicality of the SL1200. I'm sure lots of people would like a Rega better, I'm only saying I did'nt.

Not the 3, the 7 actually. I've owned the Rega 3, 5, and 7. I own a SL1200 MK5. I like the SL1200 better than any of the Regas. From strict "performance" checklist the 1200 is preferred over the Rega 3 and 5, the 7 evens the gap and in fact has better detail and imaging, but none of the Regas have the musicality of the SL1200. I'm sure lots of people would like a Rega better, I'm only saying I did'nt.

Sorry if I overlooked it, but I didn't notice whether you specified which tonearm you are using on your Technics. Which one are you using?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Markus

Are your observations based on level-matched A/B comparisons?

I've been doing a lot of such comparisons, with instant switching, over the past year with very surprising results. Audio memory is useless.

I've recently been doing some comparisons using a totally standard Technics 1210 fitted with cartridges several multiples the price of the turntable. Results have been rather disturbing.

Did the engineers at Matsushita all go to Heath Robinson University?
There's an 'upgrading' industry looking for your money.

Heath Robinson, was that the Heathkit guy? lol. I've arrived at a mat arrangement that is working really well for me. A Sorbothane mat over which I put a thin graphite mat. As anyone knows who has used it, Sorbothane is some pretty slimy stuff however it is an extremely effective damping material. The material looks and feels a bit oily- it will actually mark up your records and platter. By putting the thin graphite mat over the sorbothane mat the records don't come into contact with the sorbothane. Out of the stock rubber mat, the thicker Technics rubber "Supermat", and the Funk Achromat, this arrangement is the best sounding to my ears. The Sorbothane mat is made by "Inspire Hi-fi", the Graphite is called "The Speed by Extreme Phono". I use the standard speed mat (with no "Label" hole). If you give it a try Just be aware that the Sorbothane will slime up the top of your platter (which of course you don't see).
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SORBOTHANE-...dioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item45fb8a54b6
http://www.extremephono.com/Mat.htm

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Are your observations based on level-matched A/B comparisons?

I've been doing a lot of such comparisons, with instant switching, over the past year with very surprising results. Audio memory is useless.

I've recently been doing some comparisons using a totally standard Technics 1210 fitted with cartridges several multiples the price of the turntable. Results have been rather disturbing.

Did the engineers at Matsushita all go to Heath Robinson University?
There's an 'upgrading' industry looking for your money.

I was able to compare my arrangement quickly so my memory didn't fade. I thought I heard better definition of the drums on a Dave Brubeck cut "Shortning bread" and improved imaging, but you know the ears can play tricks on you, just repeat the same song passage without changing a thing, does it sound the same? I tend to agree about the aftermarket "mod" cottage industries. It's like the Technics is the new Rega as far as that goes. For cartridges, have'nt gone to anything more exotic than an Ortofon OM40 or Goldring 1042. Both work very well, also using Grado Prestige gold. Mid priced magnets are where it's at for me with the 1200.

Just finished my turntable and put on an rb251 with a denon 110 it sounds fantastic will remove transformer this weekend

teccy.jpg

So nice to see this thread still going. Plenty of upgrades and variations since my first posting.

Currently working on a new plinth (wood) to take away the nasty plastic base :D. Hopefully pictures to follow......

Dare I say it but so far the AO PU7 on the Tech is by far the best arm I have tried so far....

just to question a few people on here who may know....

i've fired off an email a while ago to a certain upgrade power supply company asking for details of what is actually in the box but have received a rather typical abstract explanation - ie. nothing but a sales spiel about the vast improvements i can expect, but nothing about the question i had asked....:mad:

so what components are in the technics or#in l!ve power supply upgrade to justify it's expense?

just to question a few people on here who may know....

i've fired off an email a while ago to a certain upgrade power supply company asking for details of what is actually in the box but have received a rather typical abstract explanation - ie. nothing but a sales spiel about the vast improvements i can expect, but nothing about the question i had asked....:mad:

so what components are in the technics or#in l!ve power supply upgrade to justify it's expense?

Kevin at KAB here in the US sells a more affordable one. He has been working with the SL1200 for many years and the first to offer accessories for it. He will tell you exactly what's in his box. He does'nt sell certain upgrades because he feels they are not needed and would be a waste of money. He does'nt try to make you buy any of his upgrades if you are enjoying your 1200 as is, he's happy to hear that.

Kevin at KAB here in the US sells a more affordable one. He has been working with the SL1200 for many years and the first to offer accessories for it. He will tell you exactly what's in his box. He does'nt sell certain upgrades because he feels they are not needed and would be a waste of money. He does'nt try to make you buy any of his upgrades if you are enjoying your 1200 as is, he's happy to hear that.

well i tried a kab psu and didn't feel it was worth the money.
nice but no cigar....a tiny bit better mainly because the transx is not near the cart so less mechanical and electromagnetic noise.

i've been modding technics decks for a long long time too and a lot of the modern tweaks are snake oil really....very tiny but pricey upgrades.

i know someone who has spent so much on one sl1200 that he could have got a much better modern deck for the same amount.

i'm still wondering what's in the o.l. box as they do a 2 box upgrade for the technics is that the on/off switch in one box and the transformer in another?

I have just compared...
- stock SL1210, removed power supply, Goldring 2500
- Technics 1210/Timestep PSU/Mike New bearing/Ekos2/2M Bronze
- Well Tempered Simplex/DV Karat 17D3

Unfortunately I wasn't able to swap cartridges so I suspect that most of the differences I heard were down to the cartridges. However, the pimped Technics deck did a better job of keeping up with the Simplex. I can't say that the Simplex blew the pimped Tecky out of the water.

They are all very good decks for tunefulness and timing. The Simplex is extremely good. I intend to compare it to my pimped Technics again with the same cartridge so I can get a better idea of what is due to the decks.

Sarum the short answer is nothing the timestep psu appears to be nothing more than 317 style regulated rectifier/ smoother combo and the OL psu are Zener referenced opamp stabilised supplies.

A teddyreg hacker cap psu would be better than either.

Sonddek - is there any way you can swap that 17D3 onto your ekos2? I'm running a 17D3 on my LP12/ittok and think it is great. I expect that it would be killer on an ekos on an SLS1210.

I always look forward to your posts on the Technics, as it seems to me that you're one a the main guys who treats it like its a serious contender, what with your ekos2 setup. Keep the updates coming...thanks

advertisement

Back