advertisement

Technics 1210 GR2 any reviews yet ?

Technics really make a big thing about the improvement
There's always a marketing office which are trained to write you in heaven.
Nothing new - take it with a kilo salt, its all about getting the message out to potential customer base.
The people in writing have likely never listen or compared the decks.

Visually those claimed improvements are not subtle - at least there are quite a bit more parts in the power supply :) So, several hundred pounds.. I don’t know, a cartridge might bring more if you add there but who knows, they’re also usually a matter of taste. I agree with Fremer on 2 things - from the vibration isolation point of view it could be better and that this might be a decent machine for some upgrades, it’s precise and easy to use so you can go quite high with it.

I think a comparison is important for two reasons:

1. The outgoing GR is still available, often discounted, so currently can be had for a few hundred £ less than the GR2. Possibly an important factor for someone looking to buy.

2. Technics really make a big thing about the improvement brought about by the drive circuit and power supply changes. So how much better does this actually make it sound? Is it that much better, enough to justify the price increase, or is there a hefty dose of marketing BS going on?
The price difference isn’t that large, they seem to be available for under £2k now. Only your ears can decide whether it’s worth it.

Brady’s have a great deal on the GR2, effectively including an Ortofon Black for free with the deck! Not sure how long it lasts or how many units they have!

This happy shopper appears to be elated with the purchase of his new National Panasonic (Technics) SL-1100 turntable.

Ivor-T-carrying-off-a-Technics-SL-1100.jpg

I seem to recall that Ivor dabbled with the idea of direct drive at the time but it was unworkable and went with the synchronous motor.

Analog planet review

With this particular one the only interesting comparison would be the previous GR with same cartridge into same phonostage. Maybe also listening via some very good headphones. Comparing to some random much pricier TT combo (so not to upset anyone) doesn't tell much. Fremer did this too. I'm not expecting reviewers to have the previous GR laying around but if Technics are so proud of this new drive tech they could surely supply reviewers with a GR1 too?

And in the conclusion of that AP review Ken seemingly makes some assumptions comparing to other decks (Michell, Pro-ject, Rega) that wasn't mentioned elsewhere in the text so seemingly not available at the time?

I guess there’s no point for Technics doing so as this is a successor model, they just stopped producing GR and the only available soon will be GR2.

I still think those reviews missed the point - not that I expect them to be of much use anyway.

Was G2 slated for January 2024 - must be on the horizon.

I guess there’s no point for Technics doing so as this is a successor model, they just stopped producing GR and the only available soon will be GR2.
Surely the point is that we GR owners might be convinced to trade up if a review perceives a night/day difference.

Well I did have the GR but unfortunately had to sell it to raise some funds for essential work on my house.
But I would buy the GR2 in a heartbeat if I could find a place for it, thing is I'm currently running two turntables in my main system, a third might be a tad excessive.

Well I did have the GR but unfortunately had to sell it to raise some funds for essential work on my house.
But I would buy the GR2 in a heartbeat if I could find a place for it, thing is I'm currently running two turntables in my main system, a third might be a tad excessive.
Is there a difference in sound quality between the GR and the 1500c?

3 TTs is a nice balance between excess and enthusiasm :)

advertisement

Back