advertisement

Technics 1210 GR2 any reviews yet ?

Back to the GR2, Stereophile have a review in the April edition just out. Positive all-up, but no direct comparison to the GR. Ranked as class B in their guide, the 1200G is Class A.

Last edited:

Technics has made significant steps forward with the GR2 and the result comes Highly Recommended.

Reading between the lines here its interesting that 4/5 months after this was released that no-one has attempted a back to back with the GR.

What does that tell us ? That there are no ground breaking SQ improvements here ? I am happy to be corrected here.

As I said upthread, if it isn't being reviewed side by side with the GR there is no point. And it's certainly disingenuous to talk about significant steps forward other than in advertising bumph.

The packaging is a little more eco-friendly according to Technics. More cardboard, less polystyrene. Who cares how it sounds?

At Bristol I asked Kevin, the very nice Technics chap about a G2. He could not say much but I got no hints that such a thing was in the pipeline. Of course, he may be the last person to discuss this with as it's probably more than his life is worth to spill the beans, especially to someone as indiscreet as I am.

My own experience is that all 1200s are superb motors, so one shouldn't expect huge differences between how they actually play music. Trading a GR for a GR2 is probably mostly a psychological exercise IMO.

"Could be more dynamic and rhythmically precise"

Coming from What HiFi that's not a critisism. I've come to the conclusion that they prize upfront and leading edge driven presentation over actual accuracy.
Definitely a good review, especially from them who doesn't usually like anything Japanese as Japanese gear usually has very little dealer margins compared to the more well known brands (I know about these things).

My only minor concern is the arm lift,

'Our minor quibble is that the lifting mechanism for the tonearm could be more precise and smooth in its movement. It feels vague in use; but in every other regard, we have no complaints about the deck’s build.'

I've seen a few videos online about them being quite loose, especially compared to my SL1200G I had that was perfect.

I'd definitely like another 1200G though but when I bought mine they were ÂŁ3k, less with discount. đź‘Ť

Definitely a good review, especially from them who doesn't usually like anything Japanese as Japanese gear usually has very little dealer margins compared to the more well known brands (I know about these things).

My only minor concern is the arm lift,

'Our minor quibble is that the lifting mechanism for the tonearm could be more precise and smooth in its movement. It feels vague in use; but in every other regard, we have no complaints about the deck’s build.'

I've seen a few videos online about them being quite loose, especially compared to my SL1200G I had that was perfect.

I'd definitely like another 1200G though but when I bought mine they were ÂŁ3k, less with discount. đź‘Ť
The arm lift on my GR was a let down, they haven’t changed it on the GR2, maybe worried if they did there would be less incentive for people to buy the G. Head to head there’s really not much in it SQ wise G vs GR ime.

I reckon most folk wouldn’t be able to reliably tell which was playing in a head to head between a GR and a GR2.

The arm lift on my GR was a let down, they haven’t changed it on the GR2, maybe worried if they did there would be less incentive for people to buy the G. Head to head there’s really not much in it SQ wise G vs GR ime.

I reckon most folk wouldn’t be able to reliably tell which was playing in a head to head between a GR and a GR2.
The fact they’re probably all like that on the GR at least shows that they're not actually faulty!

The fact they’re probably all like that on the GR at least shows that they're not actually faulty!
It’s been commented on since it was released, a small thing and for many a non issue cos they free cue the arm, for those of us who need a lift/lower it’s about the only reason I’d go for a G, that and a niggling that there’s a better deck for not that much more £ ex demo/used.

I bet you a Blackbird’s beak there’ll be a G2 within a few months.
Breaking is an Olympic event this year, I read somewhere that the DJ’s will be using Techy TTs - if they are gonna drop a G2 reckon that’d be good PR.

I still find the comments about the GR's arm lift bizarre. Just cue to a stationery platter and hand-turn to seat the stylus. Then run the deck. It's a perfect way to cue and takes advantage of the DJ credentials of the deck. I've come to do it 100% of the time as the possibility of the stylus skipping into the programme material is eliminated entirely.

If you must cue with the deck running, just lower it gradually rather than just letting it drop. There's no damping, but its operation is accurate and perfectly satisfactory imho.

I still find the comments about the GR's arm lift bizarre. Just cue to a stationery platter and hand-turn to seat the stylus. Then run the deck. It's a perfect way to cue and takes advantage of the DJ credentials of the deck. I've come to do it 100% of the time as the possibility of the stylus skipping into the programme material is eliminated entirely.

If you must cue with the deck running, just lower it gradually rather than just letting it drop. There's no damping, but its operation is accurate and perfectly satisfactory imho.
That’s fine if you have good eyesight and steady hands. Gradually lowering with a nicely damped and smooth lift mech is safer for me and how I prefer to cue now I’m an old git.

That’s fine if you have good eyesight and steady hands. Gradually lowering with a nicely damped and smooth lift mech is safer for me and how I prefer to cue now I’m an old git.
I do understand that and the custom lift on my SME 3012 is a wonderful thing: drop and leave. But if you cue without the record running it alleviates any of that anxiety ime.

I do understand that and the custom lift on my SME 3012 is a wonderful thing: drop and leave. But if you cue without the record running it alleviates any of that anxiety ime.
Here's the thing, I grew up with belt drives, it has not ever crossed my mind to start the Techys with the stylus already lowered, did try that on a couple of decks as a youngster and the hop skip jump that ensued plus the slow wind up cured me me of it.

I was using a SME the other day and was very taken with the M2 arm on it, the lift/lower was super nice to use, so much that I put out a couple wtd ads for am M2-9R.

advertisement

Back