advertisement

Technics 1210 GR2 any reviews yet ?

They also praise Rega in the review. I couldn’t really make out whether they liked it or not.
Seemed like they preferred the Rega for less money.

”At this price level, the Technics has fierce competition from the five-star Rega Planar 6/Ania MC turntable (a multiple Award-winner that costs £1616 with cartridge included), whose superb handling of timing and dynamics will find its fans over the Technics’ gentler presentation.“

For me the most important thing is how does the GR2 sound compared to the GR?

Technics marketing for the GR2 bangs on about how much the drive circuit and power supply have been greatly improved. Therefore a comparison between them is surely needed, particularly as there is a £200 price hike over the outgoing model.

However, the WHF review doesn't seem to cover this.

Seemed like they preferred the Rega for less money.

”At this price level, the Technics has fierce competition from the five-star Rega Planar 6/Ania MC turntable (a multiple Award-winner that costs £1616 with cartridge included), whose superb handling of timing and dynamics will find its fans over the Technics’ gentler presentation.“
Yes but then they praise the Technics for its rhythmic drive etc. I would have thought that timing would be a forte of a DD deck.

Yeah but can anyone take WHF seriously, everyone knows that they are Rega's biggest Shill. Not forgetting Cyrus as well of course.

Maybe, but from a brand (Rega) that to the best of my knowledge does no advertising at all - hard to see why they would do this unless the reviewers thought the products were good at their price point(s)…….

Rega do market their products very well, the ‘don’t advertise’ line is irrelevant & misleading.

I suppose you can’t have it all ways, WHF just give positive reviews to their advertisers (when it’s a product from one of the unfavourables) but their views on Rega are seen as accurate.

Just launched 1200GR2, never heard Technics before, so obviously cannot compare to the older model. Can anyone help with VTA setting for Ortofon Bronze - should it be 1 or 0 on Technics? Thanks

I have got a GR2 and posted my initial impressions in a different thread BUT I didn't have a GR before, so can't give any comparison (went from belt drive to dd)

It’s a very good turntable; I have 3 cartridges to play around with!!
Whether it’s BETTER than the Soulines Kubrick that I part exed it for, I’m not sure!!!! (Same cartridges))
The GR2 is certainly a damn site easier to set up and use!!!

I don't think it really matters that much does it?
I mean it's probably going to be a bit better than the GR but certainly not night and day.
If you liked the GR you'll going to like the GR2 !

If you didn't like it then you probably won't like this either.

I think a comparison is important for two reasons:

1. The outgoing GR is still available, often discounted, so currently can be had for a few hundred £ less than the GR2. Possibly an important factor for someone looking to buy.

2. Technics really make a big thing about the improvement brought about by the drive circuit and power supply changes. So how much better does this actually make it sound? Is it that much better, enough to justify the price increase, or is there a hefty dose of marketing BS going on?

advertisement

Back