1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

tannoy legacy series

Discussion in 'audio' started by yuckyamson, Nov 16, 2018.

1. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Since they announced there's been shockingly little press and reviews. (I think I've scowered the earth for everything).

I really wanted to hear some more detailed thoughts on the Arden and Cheviot.

Any additional fishies here tried them and compared to other alternatives?

2. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Active Member

I just posted on the SH forums asking about them too, initially I was planning on Eaton’s but it looks like I’ll have a much bigger room soon, so I’ll be heading bigger. Interested in any feedback please. I need to organise a trip to hear them, but it’s a fair old way to the nearest place. Everything I’ve read sounds really positive.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

How about Westminsters for less than a new pair of Ardens (link)! Nothing to do with me, but that is an astonishing price!

4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I have seen quite a few reviews , when I get back on a computer I will post a few. The tannoy Eaton legacy is a superb speaker. Having had Marin Logan summit x previously I was banned from them by shmbo. So where to find a speaker with slam, imaging, not harsh on the ears and no boom . Well the Eaton legacy we tried with big thrax integrated and also msb s200 both were exceptional. Thanks to a brilliant dealer I had an extended demo of them and bought them. They go deeper than shl5plus and do not overpower room. Downsides are they are a tad ugly and pretty expensive at 4.3k

5. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

While I can't ever actually imagine having the room or time or spare cash on hand that the missus would allow blown on such a purchase, I will say that the closest to irresistible should be, for me, a pair of Canteburys. I always found them simply better than Westminsters and nicer to look at.

6. Ayya Khema

Ayya Khema pfm Member

I want them

if somebody in this forum and living in uk could buy the westminster for me and ship them to me in Canada, id buy them. the seller hasent answered me.
    this is such a incredible deal, maybe someone in here can help me? PM me, id be eternally grateful

7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Gone.
    I even went as far as showing the auction the other half. "When I get my pension lump sum." She didn't look best pleased.

8. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Active Member

Not surprised! Looks like they’d been to the UAE at some point.

9. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

10. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Is there an available online version of the hi-fi world cheviot review? Or is it subscription only?

11. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

you can read it in the second link

12. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

13. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Cheers, thanks for this. Ahsley's review is pretty thorough.

What I find interesting is the notion that, when compared directly against some other speaker of a similar overall size and price and spec (i.e. a $6-8k floorstander), and if I'm reading correctly, that the classic tannoy DC quality of just having a huge, air-moving sound wash at you is still kind of a trump card against what some other loudspeaker might do better (i.e. measure better, have better detail or more natural midrange, etc.) That's personally what I miss and have been missing since I messed up and sold the Gold's. If I read between the lines on these that's what seems to be coming out, though it may be a result of confirmation bias.

I think an interesting comparison would be the Cheviots vs. SCM-40's. I'd like to hear what someone who has heard both says about that.

14. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

did you see the pic from the warsaw show
    [​IMG]20181116_122601 by , on Flickr

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I heard the Cheviots and Eatons at a show earlier this year and was very impressed indeed. There was a scale and ease to the sound that I’ve rarely heard before. Considering this was in a hotel room this was far better than I was expecting. I think they’d really suit the kind of music I tend to listen to these days - Classical and Jazz.

16. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

17. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

There does look something very 'right' about those speakers- would love to hear a pair.

18. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

anytime you are passing brum you are most welcome to hear some eaton legacy

Tarzan likes this.
  19. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

15" 3833/3836 TW driver and its blingy framed version in the Arden Legacy is every bit as good if not better than the AlNiCo pepper-pots of old. They are not '2nd tier' drivers by a long way. The German review(s) nails it pretty much.

John likes this.
  20. NeilR

NeilR pfm Member

Now that I finally have a room that does justice to a big system, I might well invest in a pair of Ardens. They'll look and sound great in my listening room.

cooky1257 and Mintsauce like this.