advertisement

Tannoy Legacy series

The problem is you’re then dumbing down the intended recorded treble level within a broad bandwidth, to get rid of one bad apple so to speak..

I’m actually trying out different room positions at the minute, so I can rule out everything I can..

One option to consider is changing the interface between the speakers and the supporting surface. I've got Addis pads+Diall bumpers between my Eaton Legacy speakers and the stands they're on and one of the things the combo does is smooth out the treble a tad. It doesn't make it soft or less dynamic in any way, just a tad smoother. If you're playing music that's a bit too shrill in places or sibilant or otherwise piercing in places at the top end, the pad+bumper combo might just be the answer. If nothing else, it's cheaper than chips.

I'm back to level treble. Actually my -2 experiment only lasted a couple of days - I guess it's good to have the option for those occasional times when we have tired ears. With the Eaton Legacy, I don't hear the peak around 3-4Khz I was talking about. That was with 70s Eatons. I do think the Legacy have a revealing and quite modern sound, perhaps at odds with their appearance. I'm appreciating a little help from a sub to give this revealing sound a bit more grounding, but clearly we all experience the bass differently - Phil has frequently said how deep it goes in his room. My room is an odd one and the peaks and cancellations are almost comical in some instances. Sitting at the back of the room I get a huge 40Hz mode, but when I have my chair a couple of meters into the room (as I do for serious listening), there is quite a big cancellation.

I would love to try a pair of subs. I'm finding having one directly behind a speaker is working very well. Top tip for integration: dial in the phase by touch, not by listening. I never seem to get it right by ear, probably because I can't have my ears in 10 places at once. So I'm just touching the driver whilst I turn the phase dial - then it's pretty obvious when the output is highest.

Last edited:
Would those pads really work for that situation?

It's quite conceivable. Some users have placed them under big floorstanding speakers and reported having good results. I suppose it all depends on whether your floor is carpeted and whether you can insert pads (with or without bumpers) in place in lieu of any other interface. You could always stack pads and use 8 instead of 4 to accomodate the extra weight. Either way, I reckon it's worth a shot.

Fwiw, there's a guy in Germany who's going to try the combo sometime over the next week or so under his Isobariks, which are pretty big and heavy, and I reckon if he reports having good results then pretty much any big speaker should get the same sort of benefits.

I’m genuinely interested. What would the mechanics be behind it softening the sound of the tweeter I wonder…

I’m genuinely interested. What would the mechanics be behind it softening the sound of the tweeter I wonder…

That is a great question, arguably the $64,000 question. All I can say is that it appears the pads (PVC) and bumpers (EVA) combine to produce a sprung damper effect as the bumpers are slightly softer than the pads. That doesn't really explain much but it's as close to an answer I've got. In general, the combo combines to make everything clearer, slightly smoother at the top end and tighter and more tuneful at the bottom end.

The trade off is that you lose some weight at the bottom and bass is more placed within the soundstage than booming in the room and there's a drop in the amount of energy going into the floor as well. You could say you give up some visceral experience but you gain a cleaner and more detailed experience. If giving up a little of the visceral isn't appealing you could always put the combo beneath your turntable and CD player (or simply under whatever equipment you have) and you'll get the benefits of what the combo has to offer without changing how your speakers deliver music.

In my situation, I defo wanted and needed the combo under my speakers so I've put the combo under everything here and the results are exactly what I've been looking for and what me and my neighbours needed when it comes to the bottom end.

So I was listening to Massive Attack through the Eaton Legacy the other day and thought, wow, this sub is really kicking it now; I must have got it dialled in perfectly - I've not had deep and clear sub-bass like this before.

Then I realised the sub was switched off.

A day or two before I had finally got around to unscrewing the speaker terminal panel on the back of both speakers and tightening the terminals. A couple of them had been loose since I got the speakers. I'm wondering now: could that possibly have been having an effect on the bass? It seems unlikely, but I'm looking for reasons why the sub seems superfluous.

thats interesting . i certainly dont need a sub on mine !! never undone the terminals though . Just as an aside i see paul at RFC going into production with the ealings which are about the same size width as eaton but slightly taller

from rfc FB page

i've decided to have the Ealings mass produced as I believe they're an ideal compromise where they will fit in better to many living spaces or smaller rooms and have partnered with a professional company who have agreed to manufacture them for me to allow many more orders to be fulfilled quicker, hence many more pairs made available to the public than I could manage to produce myself. Please contact me for details. They can be supplied complete with crossovers and drivers or as cabinets and crossovers only for those already owning HPD315 or MG12RS drive units. They will also be able, in re-tuned form, for all MG12 drive units.
Prices for cabinets only will start at £3,000/pair and for complete speakers at £6,500 per pair. Please contact me if interested. I intend on having a pair built for permanent demo along with the Canterburys.
The good news is that this partnership also allows me to continue to provide my large and heavier builds such as Malmesbury, Canterbury, Rutland, Cheviot and Warwick designs made to order.

Hello there,

Tomorrow I take delivery of a pair of restored/mildly modified vintage Quad ii Monoblocks, which will be interesting to see if they will drive my Dynaudio Special 40’s in a 4mx4m room. But more interesting is whether I would be better off driving a pair of Eaton Legacy’s? Anyone using low power tube amps to drive theirs?

Gosh Dynaudio need quite a bit of power to make them sing . I use 25 watt monoblocks [ F5] with my eaton legacy and that can shake the floor . beautiful . Pretty sure the eaton legacy would be a safer bet than the dynaudio

you are most welcome to listen if you are near brum

Gosh Dynaudio need quite a bit of power to make them sing . I use 25 watt monoblocks [ F5] with my eaton legacy and that can shake the floor . beautiful . Pretty sure the eaton legacy would be a safer bet than the dynaudio

you are most welcome to listen if you are near brum

Thanks. I pretty much feel the same way, nice to know you can shake the floor with 25 watts though! Oh, and thanks for the offer.

25 watts each monoblock though and the EIX pre has increased the bass seemingly . the lovely tannoy stirlings at the cranage show certainly didnt tempt me to upgrade the Eatons .

Wow, these vintage Quad ii’s drive the Dynaudio’s perfectly. Just as loudly as the Chord Etùde, and sounds great! Shan’t need to look for something more sensitive now .

advertisement

Back