advertisement

tannoy legacy series

yuckyamson

pfm Member
Since they announced there's been shockingly little press and reviews. (I think I've scowered the earth for everything).

I really wanted to hear some more detailed thoughts on the Arden and Cheviot.

Any additional fishies here tried them and compared to other alternatives?

I just posted on the SH forums asking about them too, initially I was planning on Eaton’s but it looks like I’ll have a much bigger room soon, so I’ll be heading bigger. Interested in any feedback please. I need to organise a trip to hear them, but it’s a fair old way to the nearest place. Everything I’ve read sounds really positive.

How about Westminsters for less than a new pair of Ardens (link)! Nothing to do with me, but that is an astonishing price!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have seen quite a few reviews , when I get back on a computer I will post a few. The tannoy Eaton legacy is a superb speaker. Having had Marin Logan summit x previously I was banned from them by shmbo. So where to find a speaker with slam, imaging, not harsh on the ears and no boom . Well the Eaton legacy we tried with big thrax integrated and also msb s200 both were exceptional. Thanks to a brilliant dealer I had an extended demo of them and bought them. They go deeper than shl5plus and do not overpower room. Downsides are they are a tad ugly and pretty expensive at 4.3k

How about Westminsters for less than a new pair of Ardens (link)! Nothing to do with me, but that is an astonishing price!

While I can't ever actually imagine having the room or time or spare cash on hand that the missus would allow blown on such a purchase, I will say that the closest to irresistible should be, for me, a pair of Canteburys. I always found them simply better than Westminsters and nicer to look at.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I want them

if somebody in this forum and living in uk could buy the westminster for me and ship them to me in Canada, id buy them. the seller hasent answered me.
this is such a incredible deal, maybe someone in here can help me? PM me, id be eternally grateful

Gone.
I even went as far as showing the auction the other half. "When I get my pension lump sum." She didn't look best pleased.

Cheers, thanks for this. Ahsley's review is pretty thorough.

What I find interesting is the notion that, when compared directly against some other speaker of a similar overall size and price and spec (i.e. a $6-8k floorstander), and if I'm reading correctly, that the classic tannoy DC quality of just having a huge, air-moving sound wash at you is still kind of a trump card against what some other loudspeaker might do better (i.e. measure better, have better detail or more natural midrange, etc.) That's personally what I miss and have been missing since I messed up and sold the Gold's. If I read between the lines on these that's what seems to be coming out, though it may be a result of confirmation bias.

I think an interesting comparison would be the Cheviots vs. SCM-40's. I'd like to hear what someone who has heard both says about that.

I heard the Cheviots and Eatons at a show earlier this year and was very impressed indeed. There was a scale and ease to the sound that I’ve rarely heard before. Considering this was in a hotel room this was far better than I was expecting. I think they’d really suit the kind of music I tend to listen to these days - Classical and Jazz.

15" 3833/3836 TW driver and its blingy framed version in the Arden Legacy is every bit as good if not better than the AlNiCo pepper-pots of old. They are not '2nd tier' drivers by a long way. The German review(s) nails it pretty much.

advertisement

Back