advertisement

tannoy legacy series

For reference

vfF2CEP.jpg

shl5+

@tuga , thank you for posting these measurements. Are they your own or from another source? The three Legacys appear to have rather different tunings from each other. The HF seems best behaved in the Cheviot, the Ardens by comparison show a brightness around 5kHz, but the lower mids are fuller in the Arden which may help to balance things up. I''d love to be able to audition all three!...

@tuga , thank you for posting these measurements. Are they your own or from another source? The three Legacys appear to have rather different tunings from each other. The HF seems best behaved in the Cheviot, the Ardens by comparison show a brightness around 5kHz, but the lower mids are fuller in the Arden which may help to balance things up. I''d love to be able to audition all three!...

I got them from a german magazine -> https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsp...nnoy_legacy_cheviot-tannoy_legacy_arden_15338

Great to see a new range of dual concentric monitors even if they are little ones! About time, but they need a 15” obvs.

Could these new monitors be used in the home? I have a small office with a listening chair close to speakers (chairs is centre of speakers). I noticed there is also a 5" and a 7" driver.

At £190 (each) for the 8" active coaxial monitor there will inevitably be some aggressive cost cutting in the design. If the drivers are reasonable (not a given but possible) these could form the basis for a number of DIY projects aimed at addressing the cost cutting or putting the drivers in more home friendly cabinets. The smaller drivers (if reasonable) may be better with separate woofers but the 8" may be happy down to a conventional sub at 80 Hz or so. Interesting and tempting at the price.

This is great news! The FR plot of the Gold 8 looks suspiciously flat to me, but if it is genuine then it's very impressive! I really like the aesthetics too, apart from the port. I've never owned actives before but this could tempt me, assuming the price is sensible (I'm hoping it is given it's targeted at the pro market). Excuse my ignorance but do active speakers usually come with a remote to control the volume or are you expected to drive them from a preamp?

EDIT - Gold 5 = £150 each, Gold 7 = £185 each, Gold 8 = £230 each. I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to manufacture them for anywhere near that, let alone sell them at that price! Makes you wonder about the quality of the built-in amplification...

Do you think there will be much of a market for the 7-inch model? I suspect it's close enough in price and size to the 8-inch that most folk will choose the latter. The 7 and 5 appear to be tuned slightly brighter than the 8 so maybe that will influence sales, though I suspect the HF control ought to be able to make all three models sound very similar.

Last edited:
This is great news! The FR plot of the Gold 8 looks suspiciously flat to me, but if it is genuine then it's very impressive! I really like the aesthetics too, apart from the port. I've never owned actives before but this could tempt me, assuming the price is sensible (I'm hoping it is given it's targeted at the pro market). Excuse my ignorance but do active speakers usually come with a remote to control the volume or are you expected to drive them from a preamp?

EDIT - Gold 5 = £150 each, Gold 7 = £185 each, Gold 8 = £230 each. I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to manufacture them for anywhere near that, let alone sell them at that price! Makes you wonder about the quality of the built-in amplification...

Do you think there will be much of a market for the 7-inch model? I suspect it's close enough in price and size to the 8-inch that most folk will choose the latter. The 7 and 5 appear to be tuned slightly brighter than the 8 so maybe that will influence sales, though I suspect the HF control ought to be able to make all three models sound very similar.

Class AB amps too, none of the this Class D nonsense! ;)

Class AB amps too, none of the this Class D nonsense! ;)

got some class D amps this week [icepower monoblocks ] to use with the tannoy eaton legacy with bel canto pre 3 . i expected a clean , powerful , glassy sound . I got a very natural , realistic sound which has absolutely zero glassiness . I must confess i was swayed by the hundreds of pages about nord amps on a certain American forum . extraordinary love for Nord which i believe is class D . its a good many years since i had bel canto class d which was supeceded by belles class Ab

got some class D amps this week [icepower monoblocks ] to use with the tannoy eaton legacy with bel canto pre 3 . i expected a clean , powerful , glassy sound . I got a very natural , realistic sound which has absolutely zero glassiness . I must confess i was swayed by the hundreds of pages about nord amps on a certain American forum . extraordinary love for Nord which i believe is class D . its a good many years since i had bel canto class d which was supeceded by belles class Ab
I’ve an ice power 1200as2 - I’d not heard LF authority like that in my system before.

Could these new monitors be used in the home? I have a small office with a listening chair close to speakers (chairs is centre of speakers). I noticed there is also a 5" and a 7" driver.

I don't think so as they are pro monitors. Unless you do actually get work done in that office.

:)

At £190 (each) for the 8" active coaxial monitor there will inevitably be some aggressive cost cutting in the design. If the drivers are reasonable (not a given but possible) these could form the basis for a number of DIY projects aimed at addressing the cost cutting or putting the drivers in more home friendly cabinets. The smaller drivers (if reasonable) may be better with separate woofers but the 8" may be happy down to a conventional sub at 80 Hz or so. Interesting and tempting at the price.

Aren't they made by Behringer?

Without having much technical details to back it up, I'm not surprised that the Tannoy work well with a strong class d. They're pretty easy to please.

advertisement

Back