advertisement

Tannoy FSM

I had my fun with active ATC's which although having very different philosophies, gave me a good taste of a bigger speaker sound. I treasure my memories of owning them!!!!!

We certainly all have different listening tastes and agendas. I can only say that I just couldn't believe how much music was missing from the 20 pro's once I've upgraded to something bigger....

Morning All,
Thanks for the tip. Ran them that way very soon after getting them. Didn't take long to figure that one out. I intended to take pics of a DMT, BBSM15 and an FSM all in a row but I have created a little dilema. A Friend came over to hear the Westlakes and took the DMT's home with him. Now he wants to sell his JBL 4345's because the DMT's are that much cleaner, clearer, smoother. Imagine that! He wanted my FSM's but they're NFS, period. I do however, take great pleasure in assisting wayward JBL fans to the next level!!! :D:D:D

Morning All,
Thanks for the tip. Ran them that way very soon after getting them. Didn't take long to figure that one out. I intended to take pics of a DMT, BBSM15 and an FSM all in a row but I have created a little dilema. A Friend came over to hear the Westlakes and took the DMT's home with him. Now he wants to sell his JBL 4345's because the DMT's are that much cleaner, clearer, smoother. Imagine that! He wanted my FSM's but they're NFS, period. I do however, take great pleasure in assisting wayward JBL fans to the next level!!! :D:D:D

:D I seem to be facing in the opposite direction!
They're just so big and heavy, I need to swap back to the 215's just to be sure I'm not kidding myself with my new found adour for JBL's....

:D I seem to be facing in the opposite direction!
They're just so big and heavy, I need to swap back to the 215's just to be sure I'm not kidding myself with my new found adour for JBL's....

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my JBL's.
http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speakers/Professional_Series/bbsm15.html
Of course they are integral to a pair of 20 or more year old TOTL Westlake Studio Monitors with TAD 2001's and a hand built factory crossover that takes up the whole 2'X4'back panel. JBL never did anything near the extreme that Westlake has gone (possibly excepting their $60k DD66000's, although I have my doubts.) JBL built great drivers and pretty cabs but cheated on bracing, dampening and crossovers. As we all know, crossover is EVERYTHING. The DMT is the only other cabinet I've heard besides the Westlake that is DEAD silent and virtually resonant free. Even the FSM's are lacking in that regard although I can remedy that easy enough with some of the latest technology in cabinet damping materials while the asthetics still can't be beat. The FSM's are the most beautiful speakers I have ever owned. I love my JBL's but my Tannoys do for me what the JBL's lack. It's all a matter of personal taste and experience. Mine has brought me from JBL to Tannoy. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Tannoy recommends to use the same type of amp with biamping or active.
Try to find the electronic XO for the FSM, too - but I dunno if they made modules for the FSM.

Kat recommends tubes on top, ss on bottom. I tried the DMT's "that" Tannoy way. I wasn't impressed. For the best sound, I had to rewire the crossover configuration to biamp with active LF and a passive DC instead of the stock connections which made both woofers quasi parallel and the horn alone passive. I do have a pair of 6v6 PP stereo amps that I intend to give a bi-amp whirl on the FSM's when I have time. I doubt they will have the power I require but I am curious to experience how they balance top to bottom. There is already a time alignment module built into the passive DC xover. Since the FSM was not intended for full active use, I doubt Tannoy built specific modules for them. I'd love to hear any real facts or experiences you could dig up on that topic. In bi-amp, the LF is wired straight through full range but could easilly be changed inside to allow full passive bi-amping. Manufacturers design things for mass production and for use by all types of people. For ultimate satisfaction, minor modifications may be necessary if the end user is so inclined. These are wonderful speakers with ample room for improvement. All in good time.

Hi Kat, If you bi amp 'active' on the bass unit you must roll it off at 500 hz@12 db/oct if you have the links set accordingly to bipass the internal xover. You can passive bi-amp it by leaving the LLP links in place this will have the effect of running the system 2.5 way ie bass augmented below 500hz .You can also run the system 3 way, this only rolling the DC in above 500hz.
There doesn't appear to be a way to split the DC LF/HF probably because of the various energy, presence, treble controls, cd horn compensation built into the network-it would be very easy to disconnect the xover hf section though and just run the hf wires back to 2 spare terminals on the front the tannoy horn does follow the normal cd hf roll off that can easily be eq'd.
Heres a link to the xover diagram-as you say you're not done yet.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4AVoSO...7IWZwyHkVhK4JlU/FSM type 1060 (0001 0096).jpg
Cooky

Thanks Cooky,
First I must make an update, you are correct about the 215 DMT's lower tuning. I misread the FSM manual, they are claerly tuned at 40hz, not 30hz. I have the manual thanks to Strummer and have a good handle on the factory xover adjustments. I have had a xover out, taken a couple dozen closeups and reinstalled it. I really appreciated the link but I cannot get it to work. Could you please try it and get back with me on it or just send me a copy? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Dave

Thanks Cooky,
First I must make an update, you are correct about the 215 DMT's lower tuning. I misread the FSM manual, they are claerly tuned at 40hz, not 30hz. I have the manual thanks to Strummer and have a good handle on the factory xover adjustments. I have had a xover out, taken a couple dozen closeups and reinstalled it. I really appreciated the link but I cannot get it to work. Could you please try it and get back with me on it or just send me a copy? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Dave

Hi Kat,
Please check your Katzass mail.
I can't stop drooling over all that lovely vintage JBL kit.:)
Cheers
Cooky

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone had an electronic version of the FSM Manual. I have a pair of these fine speakers but have never had a manual to set them up properly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

zero101

Hi strummer,

I tried to send you a PM, but got the following message:

strummer has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Please send the file to:

[email protected]

Thanks.

Hey Hey! You guys sound as keen on Tannoy as I was when I got my first pair.........25yrs ago!:D It`s the Tannoy sound..........don`t ya love it! Is it the missus that`s going?

Went & had a listen to a pair of B&W 802 last night.

Not even close.

FSMs just came off ebay.

Will I ever find a speaker of sensible proportions that can replace these things?

Ian,
You might find a 400 pound each Westlake or perhaps a big TAD to fill the same space as the FSM's but never will they be able to replace a World Class Tannoy! NEVER!!!:D:eek::D

advertisement

Back