advertisement

Tannoy FSM

Thanks Joe but I do have a copy of the actual FSM Manual from Strummer. For some reason I cannot post any attachments. I have already forwarded a copy to Dubkarma...
Dave

Dave,

To post a pic here you have to host the image somewhere else, then link to it. Easy to do, but if you've already forwarded the scan, mission accomplished.

Joe

Recently took delivery on a pair of reconed FSMs in the plain black utility cabinet. Thanks to James Sutton at Valley Sound in Burbank, California for getting them from Los Angeles to Toronto in 7 days for less than half of what Craters and Freighters quoted me.

I've got the DCs up too high, but they'll have to stay that way until I get someone over to help me turn them upside down.

My impression so far (i.e., a few hours of listening) is that the DMT 215 II are a more refined speaker with deeper bass. Which is not to say I'm not thoroughly enjoying the FSMs--I am! They're brash and exciting and definitely make you want to m-o-v-e. . .

Special thanks to Ian, Joe, Strummer and David for much helpful info, including numerous photos of FSMs and FSM internals, the FSM technical manual, and the FSM crossover schematic.

Just in case anyone's interested, a few days ago I saw an ad on the Atlanta, Georgia craigslist for a pair of FSMs (in the veneered cabs) with an asking price of US$2000. Vendor describes them as in "very good" condition. The ad includes a photo.

When I figure out how to post photos, I'll upload some for your consideration and amusement.

Cheers,

Joel.

Hi Joe,

The present, temporary set-up is: Esoteric P70 transport, Universal Audio 2192 DAC/word clock, Luxman T117 tuner, Bryston BP-26 preamp, Bryston 4B-ST power amp: same system I was using with my active TAD speakers.

So far, I've been listening with the LF window open. It'll be interesting to try them with the LF window closed. Which do you favour?

I'm also wondering whether a 20+ year old crossover might need some caps replaced.

Joel

Hi, Joel.

I've not heard any Tannoys with Bryston amps, but I suspect they would work well with the DMT studio series and the older Tannoys that use HPD drivers, which I believe the FSMs have. Really old Tannoys -- at least the GRFs I have -- seem to gel better with tubes. (I tried the GRFs with Naim electronics, my previous amp, but the combination didn't work -- dry, lifeless and strident.)

Electrolytic caps would likely be shot after 20 years, so if the FSM's crossover has any it would be worth the effort and cost to have them replaced. The guys at Tannoy NA should be able to answer that one for you.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by LF window open/closed. Is this a crossover setting?

Joe

Joe,

The FSM don't use HPD drivers, although I think they still use the "Girdacoustic" cone struts introduced in the HPD series and quite possibly the same HF driver/horn. The cone surrounds appear to be neither the foam used in the HPD nor the rubber used in many other Tannoy drivers, but some kind of doped fabric.

The FSMs were certainly made with high-power solid-state amplifiers in mind--and that's how most studios power them--but compared to the DMT 215 II, I am feeling some of that "dry, lifeless and strident" that you mention.

Thanks for the reminder about Tannoy NA. I'll put a call in to Mark Kinsey--who built my 215s--and see what he thinks.

Oh, about the "LF Window" adjustment on the FSM crossover. The FSMs allow the listener to choose between "a two-way system with enhanced bass" and a 1000 Hz crossover point (the two 15s run in parallel) or a three-way system with what Tannoy calls "flat anechoic response" with crossover points at 500 and 1000 Hz (the 15s run in series). The System 215 offers the same feature but with different crossover points (250 and 1500 Hz).

Cheer

Joel,

Good thing the FSMs don't use foam surrounds because they inevitably crumble to dust. They can be reconed, but I'm O-CD enough that I'd worry the surrounds are going even if they looked to be intact.

I don't know if the FSMs were voiced with tube and transistor amps, but if they're sounding a bit cold and clinical you might want to try them with some juicy and groovy valves.

Joe

offtopic, but...

JoeP said:
I'd worry the surrounds are going even if they looked to be intact.
These days , you don't have to: the problem of foam crumbling is long in the past I'd say. These days replacements (on pretty much any driver) come 'sealed' against the effects of humidity and, to an extent, UV. My brother has a pair of speakers (usig Dalesman drivers) that I had refoamed 10yrs+ ago, and they still look - and work - like new; they were only 8yrs old when the orginals split!

So put your OCD to better use ;)

Spock300.jpg

M'tin,

Have you ever been unable to sleep, wondering why the hyper-intelligent sentient machines that discovered Voyager 6 apparently had the technology to build an enormous ship for the probe, so it could go back home to find The Creator, yet it never occurred to these clever machines that much could be revealed with a bit of Duraglit?

V%27ger.JPG

J'o

M'tin,

Is there anything Spock hasn't mindmelded with -- crazy guy (Simon Van Gelder), living rock (Horta), ugly twinkling lights in a box (Ambassador Kollos), little sentient machine (Nomad), big sentient machine (V'Ger), Kim Cattrall (Vulcan in ST:IV), humpback whales (George and Gracie in ST:IV)?

There is where my ST O-CD leads.

Joe

I came on here because I was thinking of selling my Fsms, as I was changing my control room, and moving into a 12x 10 foot room, but after reading everyones views about them , it woke me up!! I dont know what I was thinking. I had some cool speaker holders made by some local biker garage that enable me to hang them thru the ceiling on to the joists above, via a half inch thick stainless steel bar. The speakers are cradled in the frame, and can be tilted any direction. I use them for studio monitors, running them from just a quad 405 amp.

First time poster here! I just purchased a Pair of Tannoy FSM's studio black models in very good condition. I am pumped to get them. I have a few amps the guys throwing in. He has no manual or info. I would like to know more about the crossover and the front panel adjustments. If any one would be so kind to send me a pdf of the FSM's I will buy you a few cold ones when you are in Houston, TX. [email protected]

thanks and I will post pics next week when I get them!!!

advertisement

Back