advertisement

Tannoy FSM

strummer, what you gonna drive them with? a small leben int would be probably enough for them and would work wonders for reasonable sum, i would really love to hear that

If these are anything like the Tannoy Dimensions, that bass driver drops the overall impedance a lot, which means these like a bit of welly (not a muscle amp, 50WPC should do it).

-- Ian

Where have you sited them Ian, in the chimney alcoves or at the sides of the patio doors firing down the room?

Yes, either side of the window. Pics to follow.

how old are these?

I presume "FSM' stands for F***ing Scary Monitor?

Or MONSTERS!!!!!

Well done Ian! (not to mention Darren who is probably in need of a lie down)

I'm looking forward to hearing them, did you keep the slate hats on?

As I might be able to do a bit of tap dancing on top there :D

Steve

Yes, the Slate Slabs are the really heavy bit. Dangerously heavy!

Darren will testify that they make quite a difference to the sound & they look nice.

top stuff!

you'll have to write up a big report.

Peter Stringfellow looks a little dissapointed to have sold them on.

Don’t be mean! He is a top bloke & has done VERY, VERY well for himself. He actually had changed his mind! He’d got them out of storage & fallen in love again AND his missus, on hearing them, had granted a reprieve. I threw the money & ran. Well, I would have, but you’ve seen the buggers. He was a gent & stuck to the deal. He was very clear that if I changed my mind, he was keeping them. Apparently the £18k replacements not quite as good.

F'ing serious monitors. I guess these are about 20-25 years old?

Some of the stats I got from this site:-

Weight - 90Kg (how's your (and others who assisted) back?)
Max Power handling 700W
Sensitivity 97db
Minimum impedence 3.5 Ohms.

Thanks for the info. Yes, they make a BIG sound, even at low volume the room is full. Just what I was looking for. Very clear & detailed with loads of DEEP bass, but not booming.

these were advertised for £1800 shortly before NYE at hififorsale, right?

strummer, what you gonna drive them with? a small leben int would be probably enough for them and would work wonders for reasonable sum, i would really love to hear that

Probably the same. I was tipped of by Steve (Effinity).

Bel Canto S300iu, 300W Class D. Sounds very nice. No doubt Darren will be here with his Leben at some point. You are welcome to hear them if in the North West.

Hi strummer/Ian,

I've taken the liberty to edit your opening post and make the pictures visible without clicking.

If you want to insert a picture, use the picture button which looks like a little postcard of a mountain view, at the left of the row of icons over the message box (go to edit > advanced to check out what I mean).

Thank you Marcus. I will remember next time.

If these are anything like the Tannoy Dimensions, that bass driver drops the overall impedance a lot, which means these like a bit of welly (not a muscle amp, 50WPC should do it).

-- Ian

Sound fantastic with the Bel Canto 300W. Great at low volumes too.

Don't think my little leben would be strong enough for these buggers - the bass driver needs a decent high current amp per the chap who sold them and having looked at the specs he seems to be correct - as you say SSB its the bass driver that needs the extra umph - sounded good to me with only one bass driver going so must be kicking ass now they are working properly

Darren

PS the slate lumps were heavier than the speakers - made a definite difference though

As I might be able to do a bit of tap dancing on top there :D

Steve

Hi Steve,

I would like to see that! been working on my blues harp this weekend steve (since I heard your chops) any tips on where to learn to play properly?

Darren

PS had a lie down and feeling better now (nothing to do with the moving just plain jealously

Damn right!

Yes I have worshipped at the twin shrines ;)

Such realism and aliveness.

Lets see how the Mogami helps the top end but I have a feeling that you may still need to tend to the source.

The FSM's have such presence and are not at all physically overbearing, they ooze quality and are perfect for the room. They do give off a pro studio kind of feel, they mean business but are not at all show offy, challenging perhaps, they love music, can you give em what they need?

I think you've led the way on from the previous generations of Red/Gold/HPD's, these FSM's have the Tannoy house sound and take it on to another level.

I can't imagine anyone needing anymore than you've got in speakers right now, you can go as far as you want with amps, cdp's etc, these handsome boxes which are balanced, full and natural, will take you all the way.

The whole family united around them, what more do you want man!

I look forward to more listening.

all the best, Steve

Hi Steve,

I would like to see that! been working on my blues harp this weekend steve (since I heard your chops) any tips on where to learn to play properly?

Darren

PS had a lie down and feeling better now (nothing to do with the moving just plain jealously

hi Darren, hey, glad to hear you've been working out on the harp, perfect antidote to work related stress.

Just suckin and blowin really, you got the rhythm & timing (obvious from your guitar performance) so just keep doing it in rhythm.

If you get a chance to see any authentic american blues players they are often quite sparse with great feel and emotion in their playing.

It's a whole body thing, physical movement, breathing and playing, often its what you don't play that counts.

Hell, i'm a conguero, what do I know! ;)

My friend Fyl was runner up in the world blues harmonica championships back in early 80's when he was 19, got a gold blues harp from Lou Adler. I'll look him up, maybe he'd give you some tips.

I played with Victor Brox & The Blues Train in the seventies and we also toured as backing band in UK for US blues artists, it was amazing to hear, watch and feel those guys work, including Jimmy Witherspoon, Johnny guitar Watson and Snookie Prior. Snookie told us he was the first person to play a blues harp through a pa system in a base on a Pacific island in ww2 after the bugler met his demise.

Victor's daughter Kyla Brox (he had 8 or 9 children with Annette Brox, a wonderful singer in her own right (related to Fela Kuti as a matter of interest), many of whom are in the music business) is on the road with her own blues band, hav'nt seem em yet but there's more than likely a harp player with a good pedigree in there somewhere.

http://www.kylabrox.com/

hope to see you again soon, have fun.

Steve

Damn right!

Yes I have worshipped at the twin shrines ;)

Such realism and aliveness.

Lets see how the Mogami helps the top end but I have a feeling that you may still need to tend to the source.

The FSM's have such presence and are not at all physically overbearing, they ooze quality and are perfect for the room. They do give off a pro studio kind of feel, they mean business but are not at all show offy, challenging perhaps, they love music, can you give em what they need?

I think you've led the way on from the previous generations of Red/Gold/HPD's, these FSM's have the Tannoy house sound and take it on to another level.

I can't imagine anyone needing anymore than you've got in speakers right now, you can go as far as you want with amps, cdp's etc, these handsome boxes which are balanced, full and natural, will take you all the way.

The whole family united around them, what more do you want man!

I look forward to more listening.

all the best, Steve

What happened to the Tap dance though Steve? You promised a Tap dance :D

Have to say, I'm happier now (Hifi wise) than I have ever been. Not even started tweeking yet. They're just plonked flat on the carpet, no spikes. Not played with the jumpers. If they sound this good now, what will they sound like with 1000 Watts through them?

Actually on those, I'd be tempted to stick a dirty great Crown on the bass unit - the more current the better IMHO.

Actually on those, I'd be tempted to stick a dirty great Crown on the bass unit - the more current the better IMHO.

Any model numbers? Where from? What sort of cost?

yeah you could actively bi-amp them.

I'd definately want valves (personally) with the dual concentric horn.

I'm open to suggestion. If I hear something that blows away the Bel Canto, then on ebay it goes.

Ta

Any model numbers? Where from? What sort of cost?

Ta

It's a shame you are "up north" otherwise I'd bring one of these over to get the bottom end pounding.

Again, Class D effectively, you can pick these up in the US for around £500 and it's very impressive in a visceral kind of way.It's also highly damped and as most Tannoys sound slightly underdamped to me, it should kick butt. I recently had it on the JBL's and had huge fun rattling the windows and kitchen doors.

hi strummer , glad you got sorted!(you heard the lancaster golds at our shop in sheffield) they look like proper ****ing speakers! hows the bass?!

It's a shame you are "up north" otherwise I'd bring one of these over to get the bottom end pounding.

Again, Class D effectively, you can pick these up in the US for around £500 and it's very impressive in a visceral kind of way.It's also highly damped and as most Tannoys sound slightly underdamped to me, it should kick butt. I recently had it on the JBL's and had huge fun rattling the windows and kitchen doors.

You have to come up north. I need educating. Did you know there’s a place just a mile from here where the women run round half naked & it’s “all you can drink”?

Are you saying amps can be mixed? So the outs from the Bel Canto would feed one of those beasts, BC to the DC cone & Crown to the bass cone? Is that correct?

I tell you, the sound I’m getting now is amazingly big & real, but I can just tell that a load more clout will push it to new levels.

hi strummer , glad you got sorted!(you heard the lancaster golds at our shop in sheffield) they look like proper ****ing speakers! hows the bass?!

Andy! How the bloody hell are you? Yes, that was I (& Andy831). You are a 100% gent btw. You couldn’t have helped me anymore than you did. I think the room did the damage, because I would have expected more from that Naim/JMLab combo.

I was really gutted coming back without those, but I’m glad I did, because these FSMs are unbelievable!!!!! Bass? Oh yes. The sound is just massive & real. If you’re over this end (Merseyside), come & have a listen.

advertisement

Back