advertisement

System pics 2024

After a brief flirtation with wanting to build a balanced system (which was successful & I enjoyed it), I knew that I missed my valve gear & wanted to get back to valves again with most components changing.
The front end of my Nottingham Analog hybrid deck/Siggwan 12 inch unipivot arm/Clearaudio Pradikat MC cart stays the same, the phonostage is now a 2 box BigBottle 3, pre is also a 2 box job diy job (not by me), & a pair of Bluebell Audio 300B mono's, & speakers have changed to hORNS FP10's.
Now I am not a great fan of boring black boxes, so I have given the boxes a new look, which I am sure will be very polarising, but I like it so there we are.

wiBaV9K.jpg

Sk2SgOk.jpg

42Z71Wu.jpg

oiROWV1.jpg
Green!

Yes, it is, the model is CS300F

It sounds really nice. I've been into Naim for years and really wanted to try valves, I was looking for an audio note Oto but came across this and am really enjoying what it does. I'm sure the speakers I am currently using aren't the most compatible so am working on some Devore type self builds to take their place and I'm sure things will sound even better then

The only trouble is I still want to try the audio note amps and there's also a valve pre/power combo that has come up for sale that is a little tempting so my original intentions of getting off the constant Naim upgrade treadmill may not yet be over

Could somebody kindly pm me the instructions and recommendations for hosting photos so I can post one on this thread please?

Thank you.

Very interesting Andy. Could you please give a bit of a breakdown of your kit? Thanks.
Sure!
  • Top shelf
    • Rega P8 with Apheta 3
    • Icon Audio PS1 MkII phono amp
  • 4th shelf
    • Gustard R26 DAC
    • Gustard U18 DDC
    • Gustard C16 Master Clock
    • Copland CDA 266 CD player - Used as a transport only and feeding the DAC
    • iFi Neo Stream with Long Dog LPSU
  • 3rd shelf
    • Don Sachs Custom 6SN7 Line Stage pre-amplifier - Currently running Full Music 6SN7's in the gain stage and Cossor Globes in the buffer stage
    • Musical Fidelity X-10v3 tube buffer (with full Rock Grotto upgrade and LPSU. This sits in the chain between the DAC and pre and can also be bypassed so can be easily switched in and out)
    • Khozmo Acoustic passive pre-amp (not anywhere in the chain at present, replaces the Don Sachs when I fancy a bit of passive-pre action...)
  • 2nd shelf
    • Icon Audio Signature MB150's mono blocks (really not looking forward to having to re-valve these when the time comes...)
    • Space Tech Labs STR -1001 - Mk2 Super valve rectifier (this is an outboard PSU for the Don Sachs pre replacing the onboard 6BY5G rectifier valve - currently not is use as I need to make a longer umbilical power lead for it. Currently running an 872A mercury vapour valve but also takes 811, 845 etc.)
  • 1st shelf
    • 2 x IsoTek Substation power conditioners
    • SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer
  • KEF Reference 1 (non Meta) speakers
  • Cables and interconnects various - Nothing too exotic but 'Of a quality'!

Last edited:
I could drape some tinsel round it if that would help?
I agree that it sits more towards the functional than aesthetic! It is however the office system and therefore does not need any WAF...
It may not look pretty, but it sure sounds damn good!

A man after my own Heart - a room stuffed with copious fishing tackle and Hifi yet called my “office”!

mild update as the IMF Super Compacts are back, being run by the second system, bit of which is visible in the mirror reflection.
dead easy to move as they are on wheeled stands, although they sound great in this position.

IMG-1810.jpg
Now that's a room. I could be happily lost in there for days!

Sure!
  • Top shelf
    • Rega P8 with Apheta 3
  • 4th shelf
    • Gustard R26 DAC
    • Gustard U18 DDC
  • 3rd shelf
    • Don Sachs Custom 6SN7 Line Stage pre-amplifier - Currently running Full Music 6SN7's in the gain stage and Cossor Globes in the buffer stage
    • Musical Fidelity X-10v3 tube buffer (with full Rock Grotto upgrade and LPSU. This sits in the chain between the DAC and pre and can also be bypassed so can be easily switched in and out)
    • Khozmo Acoustic passive pre-amp (not anywhere in the chain at present, replaces the Don Sachs when I fancy a bit of passive-pre action...)
  • 2nd shelf
    • Icon Audio Signature MB150's mono blocks (really not looking forward to having to re-valve these when the time comes...)
    • Space Tech Labs STR -1001 - Mk2 Super valve rectifier (this is an outboard PSU for the Don Sachs pre replacing the onboard 6BY5G rectifier valve - currently not is use as I need to make a longer umbilical power lead for it. Currently running an 872A mercury vapour valve but also takes 811, 845 etc.)
  • 1st shelf
And this is just the 'office' system?! Good for you!

Sure!
  • Top shelf
    • Rega P8 with Apheta 3
  • 4th shelf
    • Gustard R26 DAC
    • Gustard U18 DDC
  • 3rd shelf
  • 2nd shelf
  • 1st shelf
Wonderful! Can I please ask another question? Were you pursuing a specific sound signature when you assembled this system? There are so many valves in there I'm wondering what quality they bring to the sound?

After a brief flirtation with wanting to build a balanced system (which was successful & I enjoyed it), I knew that I missed my valve gear & wanted to get back to valves again with most components changing.
The front end of my Nottingham Analog hybrid deck/Siggwan 12 inch unipivot arm/Clearaudio Pradikat MC cart stays the same, the phonostage is now a 2 box BigBottle 3, pre is also a 2 box job diy job (not by me), & a pair of Bluebell Audio 300B mono's, & speakers have changed to hORNS FP10's.
Now I am not a great fan of boring black boxes, so I have given the boxes a new look, which I am sure will be very polarising, but I like it so there we are.

wiBaV9K.jpg

Sk2SgOk.jpg

42Z71Wu.jpg

oiROWV1.jpg
Interesting! where did you get the FP10s from and what do you think of them?

advertisement

Back