advertisement

System pics 2024

tidy for me. irregular.
You can see the second system in the mirror.
The cubes in the bay window are on wheels and are full of records.

hifi2024.jpg
This remains one of my favourite PFM listening rooms. Interesting, relaxed and crammed with albums I would like to root through.....

Nice to see a fellow owner of Totem Mani-2 ! I'm using mine (regular edition rather than signature), with Model 1 signature (centre and surround) in my home cinema, where they work well. The Mani-2 are great stereo speakers, although a subwoofer or 2 is required if you want true full range playback at elevated volumes, and if you want to control room modes.

As full range speakers the Mani-2 are placement sensitive but where you have them located (some toe-in, 2-4 feet off the rear wall) should yield good results.

Enjoy !
have a pair of Totem Forest Sigs here in high gloss cherry :)

This remains one of my favourite PFM listening rooms. Interesting, relaxed and crammed with albums I would like to root through.....

Thank you Darren.
The room has been my dedicated Music/Hi-Fi space for 30 years this year.
There are many boxes of records behind the chair, and a load in a spare room, and then some in the loft…

Thank you very kind. I'm surprised that the P8 looks so good, pictures on dealer websites don't get that completely across.
Hi Peter. I also have the P8 Ania Pro with an Aria mk3 and absolutely love it. Music just sounds so much fun on it, every note is a celebration. I also upgraded from a P6 which also had Ania Pro and the main difference I hear with the P8 is the image is even more defined. You can pin point the position of instruments more clearly and even detect the exact position of where the keys of a vibraphone are being struck which is something my P6 didn't do, in fact this very detail is what made me decide to buy it. I did love my P6 and it is without question a very good turntable but the P8 delivers more spacial information. Another interesting fact is that I went to the dealer with every intention of buying a P10 but after carefully comparing both turntables I preferred the sound of the P8. The P10 is unquestionably an astounding turntable with incredible detail retrieval but the P8 just sounded more fun and it made me smile whereas the P10 sounded serious and for want of a better expression "grown up". The P8 just wants to party but it still has extremely good detail retrieval.

Hi Peter. I also have the P8 Ania Pro with an Aria mk3 and absolutely love it. Music just sounds so much fun on it, every note is a celebration. I also upgraded from a P6 which also had Ania Pro and the main difference I hear with the P8 is the image is even more defined. You can pin point the position of instruments more clearly and even detect the exact position of where the keys of a vibraphone are being struck which is something my P6 didn't do, in fact this very detail is what made me decide to buy it. I did love my P6 and it is without question a very good turntable but the P8 delivers more spacial information. Another interesting fact is that I went to the dealer with every intention of buying a P10 but after carefully comparing both turntables I preferred the sound of the P8. The P10 is unquestionably an astounding turntable with incredible detail retrieval but the P8 just sounded more fun and it made me smile whereas the P10 sounded serious and for want of a better expression "grown up". The P8 just wants to party but it still has extremely good detail retrieval.

Hi @amb66 that's a very fair sum-up that matches my initial experiences with the P8. Best wishes, Peter

A couple of changes made from last year. The Garrard 401 has been replaced by the Thorens td124 and the Audionet dnc (dac) replaced with an Eversolo sac z8…

The Audionet sam 20se remains as do the mc-rl 21 speakers.
That's handsome Jan. The Turntable plinth really works with your furniture.

My partner bought me one of these for my 70th!

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C91gkvlvAgEL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_SX679_.png

I had a conversation recently with my Dad (83 yrs.) and out of nowhere he pronounced that he still feels like he is 20 yrs old in his head.
I think that is what counts.
Maybe we are all like that?
or maybe ‘young at heart’ is a personality trait?
I would hate to be whatever the other option is!

Hi @seagullsnacker and @Darkagesound thanks for your questions.

It's too early to say in detail as I only got it this morning.

First impressions are great. It looks and feels far nicer than the P6 too.

Been listening to a bit of jazz, then led Zeppelin 2, then two early Bruce Cockburn albums and now a bit more jazz. What I can say for sure is that it doesn't sound disappointing.

I was thinking of stretching to a P10 but it just felt too expensive, including those high-end (to me) cartridges so this feels about right for my system,.

Best wishes, Peter

PXL_20240207_153114384.jpg
What speakers and Amp do you use with the P8? Cheers

Sold my Falcon LS3/5A today then later confirmed purchase of a Croft 25R from @Ianp of this parish. A nice upgrade over the 25 Basic and my SUT works more quietly due to the toroidal transformer it uses. NOS matched Mullards in the phono stage, Genelex in the power supply. Very happy with it 😊

advertisement

Back