advertisement

System pics 2024

I find myself in a peculiar situation this year: JBL 4435, JBL 4430 and JBL Control 10. And each of them is an amazing pair of speakers, believe me!

Rest of system: Linn KRDS /0 > vintage JBL 5234A crossover > Sonics-branded Bryston amps

I'm sure I came across to you years ago to buy a vinyl cleaning gizmo. If I'm right you gave me a quick demo of the JBL wardrobes at the back - they were phenomenal.

dCm5vrc.jpeg
Swapped out the Naim NAIT 50 and put the Quad II monos back in the system with the Croft 25 Basic. Tomorrow I collect a Croft 25R. Loving the Quad/Harbeth match. I think this is a sound I prefer, even though the Nait 50 is great in its own way. Could be up for sale very soon…

This is the direction of travel… hoping that the fireplace will be gone, TV on the wall and the SBLs replaced* with a nice pair of SL2s for an updated system pic later in the year.

*but probably kept for the second system with the Nait50 that’s yet to see light of day.

53508559610_b0302ed860_c.jpg

Hi @seagullsnacker and @Darkagesound thanks for your questions.

It's too early to say in detail as I only got it this morning.

First impressions are great. It looks and feels far nicer than the P6 too.

Been listening to a bit of jazz, then led Zeppelin 2, then two early Bruce Cockburn albums and now a bit more jazz. What I can say for sure is that it doesn't sound disappointing.

I was thinking of stretching to a P10 but it just felt too expensive, including those high-end (to me) cartridges so this feels about right for my system,.

Best wishes, Peter

PXL_20240207_153114384.jpg

Found a pair far more quickly than I dared hope. An early Cherry pair bought today from a chap who’d owned them from new, and moved them just once due to a house move two years ago. As folk advised, the Cherry finish has darkened considerably over time, but the grain still stands out beautifully (though not so much in this picture under lightbulbs this evening).

Much as I love my SBLs (and the four or five pairs that preceded them starting in 1995) these are a surprisingly clear step up, and I can see why I felt no need to sell my previous pair until life intervened in 2007 (perils of working for start-ups!).

Funnily enough I recall the last track we played on that system in 2007 (Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There’s Someone, which was a difficult listen on a kitchen or car radio, but makes perfect sense on a HiFi) and it sounded as good as I’d hoped. Followed by several more of my go-to favourite albums I’m really, really, pleased I decided to go back down this path.

Fair warning I’ll post another picture in better lighting soon, and sincerely hope the full room refurb will provide another opportunity to do so again later this year.

53515521824_1e29ba094e_c.jpg

advertisement

Back