advertisement

System pics 2024

Migrated from moon dac and integrated to accuphase e5000 with phono card and lp12. now contemplating whether To move to an accuphase dac card or an external cd/dac. the speakers are SF guarneri homage. This is the year where i make a change there or keep them for good. .
Finally good speakers possitioning. Essentially for good sound. Sometimes even more than equipment quality.

aOON3yW.jpeg
Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn and Johnny Hodges session this morning. I’ve wired in my external mono switch between the Sculpture A SUT and Croft 25R phono-preamp. Would be nice to have a mono switch on the Croft or SUT but this’ll do. It makes such a difference with mono LPs. Have thought about getting the Croft modified so that it has two inputs to the phono stage with one hard-wired for mono. Then I’d use a second turntable for dedicated mono playback.
Lovely...and the prime use of speaker stands, to rest LPs against :)

No pre amp?

Away at the makers getting mended but I suspect I may stay direct into the mono’s
Just showed Fiona that pic and she asked the inevitable question about why you have 2 daleks.

Because they sound 🤩 . As Mae West famously said…come up and see me sometime. I have food music and whisky aplenty.

Is that room utterly enormous, or was that a polar bear cub?

Large but not huge… 28ft x 18ft or thereabouts.

Finally good speakers possitioning. Essentially for good sound.
Good positioning if you can tolerate the SBIR cancellation. ;) I have no doubts that speaker position produces superb imaging and soundstaging, but if the distance to front wall is less than 2.2 metres then there will be a significant dip in the bass response. With room acoustics there is no free lunch, unless you're willing to go the satellite & subwoofer route.

Soon my lovely listening room will be no more - we need another bedroom so the main system will move up to the living room. To lessen the pain I have a Vitsoe shelving system arriving next week to house all the records, but I will still really miss having a dedicated listening space.

PXL_20240229_155202631 by Phil Brown, on Flickr
What a lovely room you have there, a real shame you're going to lose it, and for a bedroom.

That’s a comment I’ve seen a lot over the years, the newer range especially with the room EQ built in don’t give me that feeling, have to be a very special box speaker to get me away from panels/statics, appreciate everyone has different tastes.

Other option I’d look at - Maggie LRS plus a pair of REL T5 subs.
I’ve heard Angus‘s system and the panels and bass drivers are well integrated and quite seamless so something is working right.

In the past I’ve also heard older pre-EQ ML models and, for my ears, there was an issue.

What a lovely room you have there, a real shame you're going to lose it, and for a bedroom.
It's a shame, but part of me is excited about having the hifi in the main living space. The kids are now old enough that they can be trusted around the turntable and they are starting to show more interest in music. It will be nice to have music on all of the time rather than having to take myself off to the basement.

IMG-0434.jpg

Temporarily relocated the turntable back to a dedicated support. Not really had a proper listen yet, but first impressions are positive. Proper listening session on Wednesday hopefully. Unfortunately it’s an aesthetic failure, in a shared living room, so it will back on some ‘normal’ furniture soon. My next post will probably be asking about furniture-agnostic turntables 😁

advertisement

Back