advertisement

System pics 2024

Well dopey me. You said that in your first post 😁 .
Speed reading clearly not my forte, which reminds me of the Woody Allen joke. "I took a speed reading course then read War and Peace in one hour. Its about Russia"

This is the room I need to sort out the hi-fi in:
If the pic. is an indication of dimensions etc., one could really go to town there. Hifi at the dog end and massive floor-standers either side of the w/burner. That rug just cries out for this arrangement. Of course you'd have to upgrade your antique Naim gear, though (good though it is!) :D

If the pic. is an indication of dimensions etc., one could really go to town there. Hifi at the dog end and massive floor-standers either side of the w/burner. That rug just cries out for this arrangement. Of course you'd have to upgrade your antique Naim gear, though (good though it is!) :D
I suspect the most I'll get away with is a nicer set of standmounters (and actually on stands). The room is a reasonable size - something like 19' x 14' - so could take decent sized speakers but they'd have to be lookers to gain spousal approval.

something like 19' x 14' - so could take decent sized speakers but they'd have to be lookers to gain spousal approval.
I empathise. That is a useful dimension; esp. the 14' wide bit!. Since I walked up the stairs carrying my B&O radio to assess reception in my first house viewing 1975, my hifi requirements have taken priority in every house since (that's 5) and is still the same today, though my wife isn't ! :D

aOON3yW.jpeg
Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn and Johnny Hodges session this morning. I’ve wired in my external mono switch between the Sculpture A SUT and Croft 25R phono-preamp. Would be nice to have a mono switch on the Croft or SUT but this’ll do. It makes such a difference with mono LPs. Have thought about getting the Croft modified so that it has two inputs to the phono stage with one hard-wired for mono. Then I’d use a second turntable for dedicated mono playback.

I suspect the most I'll get away with is a nicer set of standmounters (and actually on stands). The room is a reasonable size - something like 19' x 14' - so could take decent sized speakers but they'd have to be lookers to gain spousal approval.
Need me to speak to her? I'll show her photos of my Magneplanars in the lounge and she will come to realise how fortunate she is. :)

aOON3yW.jpeg
Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn and Johnny Hodges session this morning. I’ve wired in my external mono switch between the Sculpture A SUT and Croft 25R phono-preamp. Would be nice to have a mono switch on the Croft or SUT but this’ll do. It makes such a difference with mono LPs. Have thought about getting the Croft modified so that it has two inputs to the phono stage with one hard-wired for mono. Then I’d use a second turntable for dedicated mono playback.
Lovely retro vibe.

This is the room I need to sort out the hi-fi in:
174372332.5729d48b.JPEG

The desk isn't normally there but I was working in the house as we had builders in working on the bathroom.

At the moment it's got a WiiM amp (recently replacing the Onix DNA45 which is still in the rack but disconnected) into an ancient set of Mission 731LE's, with an (also ancient) Cyrus CD player along with TV (via it's HDMI ARC connection) and various streaming options as sources.

Not quite sure what direction I'm going to take in that room yet. I've got a spare Naim system (32.5/IXO/2 x 140/2 x Flatcap into active Credo's) but I might just get a better set of standmounters and stick with the WiiM amp. I will likely add a turntable at some point as well.
Lovely room. Needs big speakers.

Need me to speak to her? I'll show her photos of my Magneplanars in the lounge and she will come to realise how fortunate she is. :)
We did demo Martin Logan's at one point (with Audio Research amplification) but ended up going with something smaller in the end.

The Logans I've heard left me with the impression that the bass was always trying to catch up with the mid and treble...
That’s a comment I’ve seen a lot over the years, the newer range especially with the room EQ built in don’t give me that feeling, have to be a very special box speaker to get me away from panels/statics, appreciate everyone has different tastes.

Other option I’d look at - Maggie LRS plus a pair of REL T5 subs.

advertisement

Back