advertisement

Would be even better with a C6 sub* :)

*SWMBO NOTES : can put nice plants on top, use as a coffee table possible, looks good with a doily, need I go on?

IMG-0126.jpg

More brown furniture! I got this in 1979. Behind the doors, a large space with a single shelf, hifi in the top half (33, 303, FM3) and LPs in the bottom. Once I started buying CDs, the hifi moved out and CDs moved in. But as time went on and CD collection grew more radical change was needed. (see next post).

IMG-0133.jpg

So I fitted drawers to take more CDs. The different colours of drawer front reflect the fact the wood was bought at different times as the collection grew and more drawers were needed. It now can hold about 1400 CDs in standard jewel cases, but more now that I have been getting bargain boxes that are more space efficient. (see next post)

Please can I ask, what is the Duke Ellington box set at the front ?
It’s one I’ve had for a while (released 1996) but haven’t seen any other copies since.
It’s title is ‘The Private Collection’ and was part of a policy Duke had to record new and old works for his own interest whether commercial labels wanted to release them or not. He referred to the collection as ‘the stockpile’. The recordings mostly were made in 1956. There are 10 discs; 8 of studio sessions and 2 of dance dates.
I don’t play them very often; I regard them as ‘interesting’ rather than ‘ essential’. I would put the 40-41 band recordings in the latter category.

Giving these ATC SCM100 chaps a try for a few days, courtesy of my spiffing dealers, Signals. We tried them passive to start with, being driven by my Accuphase A48 amp. The sound was pretty good but with dynamic material, specifically my old copy of Yello's "Baby", they didn't work too well. So the Signals boys installed the active amps & things immediately improved.

I gave them a good old spanking last night whilst SWMBO was out, & I rather like them. Unlike the Kudos 808s I'd tried last year, I found the sound was much more to my taste, and surprisingly akin to my current passive DBLs. Maybe the ATC bass unit's something to do with it? With the covers on they've had the wife seal of sort-of approval, which is always a good start. Onward...

lULINgB.jpg
Where's all the naim gone.

Giving these ATC SCM100 chaps a try for a few days, courtesy of my spiffing dealers, Signals. We tried them passive to start with, being driven by my Accuphase A48 amp. The sound was pretty good but with dynamic material, specifically my old copy of Yello's "Baby", they didn't work too well. So the Signals boys installed the active amps & things immediately improved.

I gave them a good old spanking last night whilst SWMBO was out, & I rather like them. Unlike the Kudos 808s I'd tried last year, I found the sound was much more to my taste, and surprisingly akin to my current passive DBLs. Maybe the ATC bass unit's something to do with it? With the covers on they've had the wife seal of sort-of approval, which is always a good start. Onward...

lULINgB.jpg
Lovely colours in that room.
What finish are the ATCs?

lULINgB.jpg
I’m not jealous, repeat I’m not jealous. It’s not working…

advertisement

Back