advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some new toys to play with
20210312-134437.jpg

20210312-134652.jpg

Fully serviced with the DADA mods & virtually mint Quad 33/303. Sounds superb into the Stirling LS3/5A V2s.
Another hifi ambition fulfilled.
TS

Nice that you can get away with using an AVO for an ornament!

The AVO was my late fathers, the Sobell transistor radio next to it is from 1962 & was my late mothers. Both still work.
TS
Reminded me of earlier in the week when I told the 12 yr old it was time for bed. He looked at the clock, and said '2 minutes yet'. I was explaining parallax error, and why 'old fashioned' meters had a mirror behind the needle, but it was a bit lost on the digital only generation....

I'm seriously jealous of those shelves for the vinyl Tony. One day...

They are actually a bit of a PITA. I didn’t think it through properly and in hindsight would never advise anyone to go for such wide spans as there is obviously a lot of weight, and that means getting albums in/out can be challenging, plus you need to keep the shelves filled with exactly the right amount or they tip as a whole. If I was getting it done again I’d certainly split them in two, maybe three with a fixed divider somehow.

They are actually a bit of a PITA. I didn’t think it through properly and in hindsight would never advise anyone to go for such wide spans as there is obviously a lot of weight, and that means getting albums in/out can be challenging, plus you need to keep the shelves filled with exactly the right amount or they tip as a whole. If I was getting it done again I’d certainly split them in two, maybe three with a fixed divider somehow.

One long shelf is a lot stronger than two short ones - given the same support.

I like the fireplace - can't decide whether it's more Arts and Crafts or Art Deco. Beats the hell out of the faux-stone resin horror we've inherited in our living room!

Pretty sure it is art deco. Sadly it is quite badly damaged as some idiot fitted a remarkably ugly gas fire in the ‘70s, seemingly with a pick axe. I hoofed the gas fire out long ago, but the holes, cracked and missing tiles are very obvious.

@Tony L I'm sure you've been asked this before but why do the speaker cables snake out across the rug?

Partly to avoid having an inductor (coil) on one side, partly because they are pretty substantive and would end up with a pile behind the left speaker which would hinder the already cramped access to the records. The bottom row and 12” single tubs (x3 behind the left speaker) are not easy to get to even without having a pile of thick Mogami cable to navigate!

PS I’ve not ever tried, but I suspect the right hand cable isn’t long enough to get to the speaker if routed along the skirting board, round the fire etc anyway. This is a dedicated listening room, it has no other purpose, so things are just where they work the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back