advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, how do you find the ATC SCM10s in your room?

I really like them, the second pair I have had. My previous room was earlier in the year before we moved house was pretty much the same size so I knew what to expect.
They are placed a little closer to the walls than ideal, but the door position at the moment means they can't really be pulled out much futher.
I still have a plan for a pair of large Tannoys/Goodmans speakers for a bit of contrast.

118416409_10220857729486618_7101013443956838773_o.jpg
Are those beauties Virgo 25's ?

The only change I'm planning is to replace the Onix DNA45 with something with a workable remote - possibly something like a Rega IO or maybe one of the higher end Cambridge Audio amps as their stuff already makes up the bulk of the system (Stream Magic 6, 840C CD player and a Dacmagic).

I ended up going for a 2nd hand Primare I22 (which has the optional DAC) which has now replaced the DNA45. Initial impressions are pretty good and it'll certainly be nice to have an amp with a decent remote control.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage in the house... Yes, I'm a sucker for 70s looking speakers... And I seriously prefer wider baffle speakers to the narrower modern designs!

XZs2x5E.jpg

That looks really nice, including the speakers. Don’t spose you’ve also had SHL5+ or similar have you? Possibly a tedious question, but hard not to be curious how they’d compare.

Also, do the corners of the rug line up relative to the W badges in the stands? The photo perspective is hard to judge, but it’d drive me barmy if they didn’t and it was my living room!

@ThELiZ

Out of curiosity, are the tweeters positions mirror imaged? I saw some photos where both were offset to the same side, and some where both were offset to the middle.

They look really classic, in a good way.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage in the house... Yes, I'm a sucker for 70s looking speakers... And I seriously prefer wider baffle speakers to the narrower modern designs!

XZs2x5E.jpg
They are a nice looking speaker (IMO), some good reviews on them too.

@Dave***t

Sorry, but no experience with the SHL5+. I've always been a bit scared to try them as I had the M30.2 and found they got way too excited in the bass department for my room. I still find this a little strange, as the Cheviot & Cornwall speakers (both large and in charge, and front ported) I've had in this room didn't boom like the M30.2. Maybe a port tuning issue that doesn't work well in my room. I know I've got gain issues at 40Hz & 70Hz. Funnily enough, the rear ported Lintons are also less boomy than the M30.2! I still get some issues with the bass, but I'm happy to EQ in room to tame these issues.

@booja30

The tweeters are mirrored. They are setup so that they are on the inside of the speakers.

@shrink

I'm enjoying them. They suit the music I have listened to so far (rock, metal, pop). I have only got a few hours on them so far, so need to try more music genres out, but so far so good. I'll comment more when I've given them a good thrashing!

@vince rocker

Thanks Tim. I hope you are still enjoying the Cheviots. I think I'll always miss them. Ah crap... Still haven't posted out those links! I'll try and get them off tomorrow. Sorry!

I'm enjoying them. They suit the music I have listened to so far (rock, metal, pop). I have only got a few hours on them so far, so need to try more music genres out, but so far so good. I'll comment more when I've given them a good thrashing!

I'd be very interested to hear your verdict on the speakers once you've had a proper listen

@Dave***t

Sorry, but no experience with the SHL5+. I've always been a bit scared to try them as I had the M30.2 and found they got way too excited in the bass department for my room. I still find this a little strange, as the Cheviot & Cornwall speakers (both large and in charge, and front ported) I've had in this room didn't boom like the M30.2. Maybe a port tuning issue that doesn't work well in my room. I know I've got gain issues at 40Hz & 70Hz. Funnily enough, the rear ported Lintons are also less boomy than the M30.2! I still get some issues with the bass, but I'm happy to EQ in room to tame these issues.

@booja30

The tweeters are mirrored. They are setup so that they are on the inside of the speakers.

@shrink

@vince rocker

Thanks Tim. I hope you are still enjoying the Cheviots. I think I'll always miss them. Ah crap... Still haven't posted out those links! I'll try and get them off tomorrow. Sorry!

Ah, I was thinking of Harbeths (and maybe others of the better known BBC derived models) more generally, I only said SHL5+ because of the driver configuration. If you're enjoying them after 30.2s, bass issues aside, I'd say that constitutes a good review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back