advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Nagra gear looks so cool. I've never heard it. Does Nagra have a "house sound"? pretty neutral i'd think?

Well, I’ve owned a fair few of their products. I always feel they give a vivid and immediate sound, but without glare and harshness. Superb tone too, also a nice big enveloping soundstage. Very sophisticated overall.

I’ve switched it on now. Really lovely with the Quad 303:

3KM1rPC.jpg

Had a problem with one of the valves in the output stage, must’ve got rattled too much in transit. I temporarily subbed a pair of GE 5751 yesterday but this morning had a proper check. Just dropped in a 1960 Mullard ECC83 with the original EI Yugoslavia ECC83 and all is good - no crackling and lower noise. It’s so adjustable inside the chassis, lots of options for phono stage loading and input sensitivity for the line inputs and tape loop.

R9ptmpn.jpg

I very nearly pushed the ‘buy it now’ button on one of those a few years back just because I love the looks and compact size, Nagra stuff has always been so, so cool! Can’t remember which model, but the “cheaper” of the two that look similar. Likely a good investment if you got it for a fair price too. There will never be a time when no one wants one!

I very nearly pushed the ‘buy it now’ button on one of those a few years back just because I love the looks and compact size, Nagra stuff has always been so, so cool! Can’t remember which model, but the “cheaper” of the two that look similar. Likely a good investment if you got it for a fair price too. There will never be a time when no one wants one!

Have to agree with all of that, Tony. It must’ve been the PL-L linestage you were looking at, that one had a remote and balanced outputs. Also a lovely thing. Unfortunately, I ended up paying quite a lot for the PL-P. Customs charges from Switzerland were nearly £900 which was half expected but still a shock. Should’ve kept the first one I had which I got for £3500 in late 2008. However, this one was recently overhauled by Nagra in Switzerland and has had all important PSU and battery gubbins replaced, as well as recalibration of the modulometer etc. It’s also mint, even by your standards, so it’s probably the best one around!

Yeah, that's something about that design that reminds me of sound devices stuff, like a 552.

Yep, me too. Beautiful things.

I've finally managed to source the last missing accessory for my Trio L-07D turntable - the DS-20 outer perimeter ring:

F7E6873B-8D57-4647-BB98-0B7CBBEEE20A_1_201_a by call_me_theo, on Flickr

A09F911C-1107-4688-A6F2-8FE805F99278_1_201_a by call_me_theo, on Flickr

However, the most exciting bit is this lovely item:

748E47F3-784C-464D-B877-18B6E4AFE658_1_201_a by call_me_theo, on Flickr

I'm just waiting on a new arm plate for the Dynavector, and it will replace my SME V. Getting the arm plate is proving to be a challenge though...

You place it upon the album to position the ring - then you just lift it off. Yes, it’s a bit of a faff...
Theo, didn't the later versions of this just use 3 sticky pads fixed around this outer ring that let you avoid using the positioning ring?

Although I think I’m a vinyl enthusiast, I know very little of that Dynavector arm.
If it’s usurping an SME V, it must be good! Interesting.

Hi Theo. Mega turntable by the way. Just noticed you've got a Benz Micro on. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it as I'm looking to replace a DV20x on my lp12 and Nima.

Many thanks.

From my perspective, the Benz Glider is a fantastic cartridge. I've just had it re-tipped byESCo (who sold me the Benz in the first place), and even though it sounds slightly more forward, it works better in the context of my system: detailed, good soundstage and bass control. I haven't compared it to the DV so as always, YMMV.

Well, I’ve owned a fair few of their products. I always feel they give a vivid and immediate sound, but without glare and harshness. Superb tone too, also a nice big enveloping soundstage. Very sophisticated overall.

I’ve switched it on now. Really lovely with the Quad 303:

3KM1rPC.jpg
That is a lovely looking thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back