advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contender 2: Beautiful looking speakers, not sure about them - treble a bit explicit, but they are calming down as they warm up (connected to 8 ohm outputs, ultralinear max negative feedback):

904-F4-F07-3-CAD-4-F76-99-AA-EF67-C56-B7-E34.jpg

904-F4-F07-3-CAD-4-F76-99-AA-EF67-C56-B7-E34.jpg

Sadly, as I love the look of them, they're not the speakers for me. Back to the Adams in the meantime. It's amazing how close to the ESL sound the Adams actually get, albeit with (a lot) more weight to the lower frequencies at the expense of a tiny bit of box colouration that I can detect on certain vocals. NOTHING does vocal reproduction like a Vincent 52. I mean, a Quad 57.... ;)

Uh?

[google]

Ah!

image5.jpg

Now that is the 'speaker for post-Brexit INGSOC announcements.

"We are at war with Sevenoaks. We have always been at war with Sevenoaks"

I so want to play the intro to Two Tribes and certain bits of The Wall through that!

Wagner at ear splitting volume surely?! Would shit the neighbours up, no matter how far away they were!

My B&W set-up, with lots of ruggage.
3917a378-25cb-4bc9-8fae-52a816055482-original.jpg

Surely the guitar has to go?
I was playing around with speakers recently and had a pair of JR149s on the floor to the LHS of my main speakers. After a while I noticed the stereo image was a bit off to the left. Banishing the JRs cured the problem.
Hard to imagine that a wooden box designed to resonate would not have a larger effect than a small pair of speakers!

You would have to determine how much the guitar is vibrating, I wonder if a phone app ‘iseismo’ for example would be sensitive enough?
Keith

You must have a lot of time on your hands Keith.
Just move the thing, if it makes no difference, put it back!

All,

The 800's are very inert so there's not much happening to the side and back where the guitars are. The speakers are are mounted on isolators to cater for floor vibrations.
On inspection, with music playing loudly there is a slight vibration on the strings but pause the music and there is nothing audible.
In a perfect hifi world the guitars would be elsewhere, but they are my wife's and she likes them there. They are easily grabbed when she wants to play.

If it makes you feel better i'll dampen the strings :)

In my old listening room there were four acoustic guitars out on display and when you paused the music the sympathetic ringing was clearly audible. Having said that I don't think I'd successfully pass a blind test while music was playing on whether or not a guitar was present in the room, but IMO the fewer sympathetic vibrators in you room the better (bedroom excluded of course! ;))

Thought I'd put up some images of the Claro turntable. It has an unusual history, being made by a precision engineering company who effectively got it by default, and so had very limited marketing. As they have CNC equipment that other audio manufacturers could only dream of, the fabrication quality is truly exceptional. The base, arms and power supply are CNC machined each from a single piece of aluminium. The motors and speed-control chips are housed within the aluminium base, and the speed can be altered digitally using the external speed controller. The arms are manufactured to order for the arm length required. Levelling is done by inserting a long Allen key through the holes in the top of the base (just visible in the second photo). The plinth is machined from acetal and basically locks onto the top of the bearing due to the extreme machining tolerance. The bearing is a work of art.

D
ual motors using Rega belts. One or two arms can be fitted.

Length engraved into arm mount

C
NC speed controller

O
ne big lump of Acetal. Hole in the middle fits bearing exactly.

Thought I'd put up some images of the Claro turntable. It has an unusual history, being made by a precision engineering company who effectively got it by default, and so had very limited marketing. As they have CNC equipment that other audio manufacturers could only dream of, the fabrication quality is truly exceptional. The base, arms and power supply are CNC machined each from a single piece of aluminium. The motors and speed-control chips are housed within the aluminium base, and the speed can be altered digitally using the external speed controller. The arms are manufactured to order for the arm length required. Levelling is done by inserting a long Allen key through the holes in the top of the base (just visible in the second photo). The plinth is machined from acetal and basically locks onto the top of the bearing due to the extreme machining tolerance. The bearing is a work of art.

D
ual motors using Rega belts. One or two arms can be fitted.

Length engraved into arm mount

C
NC speed controller

O
ne big lump of Acetal. Hole in the middle fits bearing exactly.

I thought that was an Avid at first as they are using the same suspension.

Not that it is a "serious" system, but still worthy of mention as something with a quite decent sound, assembled very, very cheap. This is a system in our bedroom, I use it when working at a computer and watching movies with wife before going to sleep. Besides the fact that it plays music quite well, it is especially surprised at how it gives voices in films. Very natural and realistic!

In my computer I'm using Asus Xonar DX sound card with optical out to the cheap 4 x TDA1543 multibit DAC ($40), the cheap (but surprisingly good) chinese TA2024 amp ($50) and Rega Ara speakers bought on ebay for about 120 pounds including delivery to Russia. The head-fi part of the system is the MF X-CANS tube amp and vintage Grado SR325 from the last century, both obtained at the local flea market for the price of a couple of trips to the pub.

I won't let you make a joke and say that I also have a left loudspeaker on the other side of the monitor. :D;)

If you ever have the chance, in case you haven't done it so far, check a 3-way Adam. The mid dome makes a big difference.
I haven’t but would like to. That said, the Adams don’t really lose much in the mids to the ESLs, which is a huge feather in their cap. I’m keeping an eye out for higher-end Adam standmounts or floorstanders, but in no rush... what I have is pretty bloody good!

Yep, but not currently in use (need to figure out how to connect them via splitting the XLR feed to the Adams; perhaps a suitable cabke exists?

I would call Tom at BK - he tends to have all the answers and I found him very helpful. He wold hate to think his subs were sitting idle.

Otherwise, call someone like Studiospares and order online. They have every cable and splitter on the planet.

I have connected my BK XLS200 sub using the cable they provided to the speaker outputs on my power amps. The cable has a Speakon connector on the end that plugs into the sub and three bare wires on the other end. There was a wiring diagram included with the sub.

I thought that was an Avid at first as they are using the same suspension.

It is not a suspended turntable. I don't believe in suspended turntables. They tend to be fiendishly expensive (e.g. Vertere), may not work and may not even be necessary. The best place for a turntable is wall-mounted, then suspension should become a non-issue. I used to have mine on the wall. I have a bouncy floor. The Townshend podium provides all the isolation I need.

The Avid Diva II SP is vaguely similar, but inferior in numerous respects - hollow cast not CNC, far inferior bearing, separate single drive unit, fixed arm mount, about half the weight ...
The hollow cast Avid sub-chassis can be seen here:
http://www.avidhifi.com/turntable_diva2sp.htm
The solid machined Claro here (see foot of page):
http://claro.co.uk/the-turntable-deck/

It was originally based on the Lumley Heliosphere, Claro were doing their fabrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back