advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always struggle to photograph the space that my poor system has to try and fill.

The room is 35ft by 21ft and at its highest about 22ft high.

Concrete walls and tiled floors. It is not easy to get it sounding good at times. It is very dependant on the material being played.

Considering bigger, active, speakers.

IMG-1493.jpg
Another lovely space. What is your system? Speakers look like Linn Keilidhs from here but it’s hard to tell.

Please......can you tell us more about the turntable and arm?

Go on Claire, tell us again, I'm always jealous when I see photos of it. :) Looks like you've increased the thickness of the platter since your last photo.

It gets updated when I have downtime. A work in progress and a labour if not of love then obsessional zeal: (the DIY build thread is trashed as Flickr links no longer work as I changed usernames here and there). I added to build last year. It's a Zebrano wood Frame from a dead DJ controller I built & repurposed. Anodised aluminium 10mm top plate, 12mm base plate. The top only sits on the tops of the extra B&W spike set (found a set of 4 not selling on eBay). Its 3 x sync-locked 24V Rega Motors using an Arduino robotics controller to create 24VDC over three motors and can be adjusted by bluetooth, I doesn't need adjusting because of the new massy platter made for me by Tizo Acryl and that sits on a TangoSpinner subplatter with three custom 3 band pulleys (two bands per pulley six in total). Torque and inertia. All bases covered.

Platter weight is too high for a normal bearing: solution is to make the platter sit on a Maglev cushion using oppositional 90mm ring neodynium magnets embedded in the top plate and machined out of the underside of the Tangospinner which takes the weight off the bearing. it may not actually be touching the bearing as the calculations are such that it is a true "air bearing" design. If it does touch the bearing It is only a matter of grammes. Bearing housing is a plastic.. PEEK Rega RP aftermarket tweaker's type. Ball is a ceramic ball.

The arm started life as a busted and throwaway Hadcock 228 extended to 12" and retrofitted with a carbon fibre wand and a new custom made adjustable headshell, plus a stub socket and rewire. New brass heavy counterweight from XTC. The Denon DL103 with Aluminium Bodied (Pink and Purple) was anodised by J7 at Audio Origami.

TT "Support" is in fact just repurposed DIY Amp Plinths with massive 50mm x 60mm rubber screw on feet.

Platter mats (there are two and VTA is adjusted accordingly) are custom ponies Celestia and Luna. JoeP has a similar mat made to order. Joe-bob? Show us yer ponies?

Untitled by Claire Fox, on Flickr

Last edited:
It gets updated when I have downtime. A work in progress and a labour if not of love then obsessional zeal: (the DIY build thread is trashed as Flickr links no longer work as I changed usernames here and there). I added to build last year. It's a Zebrano wood Frame from a dead DJ controller I built & repurposed. Anodised aluminium 10mm top plate, 12mm base plate. The top only sits on the tops of the extra B&W spike set (found a set of 4 not selling on eBay). Its 3 x sync-locked 24V Rega Motors using an Arduino robotics controller to create 24VDC over three motors and can be adjusted by bluetooth, I doesn't need adjusting because of the new massy platter made for me by Tizo Acryl and that sits on a TangoSpinner subplatter with three custom 3 band pulleys (two bands per pulley six in total). Torque and inetia. All bases covered.

Weight is too hight for a normal bearing: solution is to make the platter sit on a Maglev cushion using oppositional 90mm ring neodynium magnets embedded in the top plate and the underside of the Tangospinner which takes the weight off the bearing. it may not actually be touching the bearing as the calculations are such that it is a true "air bearing" design. If it does touch the bearing It is only a matter of grammes. Bearing is Ceramic shaft Rega type.

The arm started life as a Hadcock 228 extended to 12" and retrofitted with a carbon fibre wand and a new custom made adjustable headshell, plus a stub socket and rewire. New brass heavy counterweight from XTC. Denon DL103 with Aluminium Bodied (Pink and Purple) anodised by J7 at Audio Origami.

TT "Support" is in fact just repurposed DIY Amp Plinths with massive 50mm x 60mm rubber screw on feet.

Platter mats (there are two and VTA is adjusted accordingly) are custom ponies Celestia and Luna. JoeP has a similar mat made to order. Joe-bob? Show us yer ponies?

It’s stunning Claire, you’re very, very talented!

Here's my sistem as it stands at the end of 2018. Back to Devialet with Expert 400s. More power than the Conrad Johnson valves and the B&Ws seem to like it all the more...

Roon > Devialet 400 > B&W800 D2
DIY Turntable and Tonearm

Final setup for 2018 by Claire Fox, on Flickr

(The rugs are a bit patchy as I just had them cleaned and they are drying out where I used an additional spot cleaner). Working on the dent later.

That is one gorgeous space, is it a converted barn?

Here's my sistem as it stands at the end of 2018. Back to Devialet with Expert 400s. More power than the Conrad Johnson valves and the B&Ws seem to like it all the more...

Roon > Devialet 400 > B&W800 D2
DIY Turntable and Tonearm

(The rugs are a bit patchy as I just had them cleaned and they are drying out where I used an additional spot cleaner). Working on the dent later.

Rugapolooza

I always struggle to photograph the space that my poor system has to try and fill.

The room is 35ft by 21ft and at its highest about 22ft high.

Concrete walls and tiled floors. It is not easy to get it sounding good at times. It is very dependant on the material being played.

Considering bigger, active, speakers.

IMG-1493.jpg

RUG... ...BUFFER....OVERLOAD!

Yes, something out of that designer homes prog. on TV, Looking out of the window, it also seems to be ultra modern in a rustic setting.

Matching cartridge, though ! Quite degenerate !:)

Matter of interest, how much does your platter weigh if it's too heavy for a bearing?

I have no idea but I recall 4 x heavier than a Rega acrylic platter as it was 3.5 x thicker with a very precise well for the motor pulleys and bands to sit in and ride at just 5mm from the top plate. Certainly heavier than an Orbe and it’s not got Michell’s beautiful engineering expertise in that area.

I used magnets to not entirely decouple but to create the illusion of a lightweight platter as the bearing ‘sees’ it. The two together are effectively silencing the deck. It has zero mechanical rumble, to the point wall tracking noise is a higher concern (and any future update will be to change the cantilever or stylus to a paratrace or similar).

But, it’s not really used. Despite building it. You can see how many LPs I have. I do like the Devialet phono stage though. I ought to buy some vinyl LPs but I keep putting it off.

I have no idea but I recall 4 x heavier than a Rega acrylic platter as it was 3.5 x thicker with a very precise well for the motor pulleys and bands to sit in and ride at just 5mm from the top plate. Certainly heavier than an Orbe and it’s not got Michell’s beautiful engineering expertise in that area.

I used magnets to not entirely decouple but to create the illusion of a lightweight platter as the bearing ‘sees’ it. The two together are effectively silencing the deck. It has zero mechanical rumble, to the point wall tracking noise is a higher concern (and any future update will be to change the cantilever or stylus to a paratrace or similar).

But, it’s not really used. Despite building it. You can see how many LPs I have. I do like the Devialet phono stage though. I ought to buy some vinyl LPs but I keep putting it off.

I have a similar design, I think the platter weighs about 15kg, it sits on the bearing and about 1mm off the top plate, which is machined aluminium.

44375206290_c62bff4478_c.jpg

32320249808_5eedd6f0ee_b.jpg

It is driven by two opposing belts, they are apparently working on a direct drive unit.
http://claro.co.uk/direct-drive/

The diagram is a slightly different version, mine has spikes that can be adjusted through holes from the top with an Allen key, so you can level it when it is playing. The whole thing is sitting on a Townshend podium.

The Devialet phono stage is excellent, my unit is programmed for two arms (mono and stereo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back