advertisement

System pics 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
With record:
1-1.jpg

That looks great - no unnecessary fiddly bits and clearly excellent finish. You must be proud of that.

Jason

Many thanks; yes, I must admit, I am quite pleased :).

In terms of styling, I am from the 'less is more' school of thought (certainly with regard to hi-fi). There is a circular motor housing pod that projects from the left hand side of the deck (it's hidden by the platter in these photographs though). To be honest, it's quite a bit more complex than the exterior would suggest. For example, the plinth that looks like a solid slab is actually two parts and contains a relatively complex suspension element.

This is the Mk4 version - the Mk1 was built 20 years ago! (even this Mk4 has been modified quite a lot).

I wish the funky record clamp I have designed for it would arrive though...

YNWOAN - did you design and make that? Less is certainly more. In tems of style and visual design that's everything that I love. Looks absolutely superb, beautiful.

I could take a few more pics (there are some with the lid on a couple of pages back) - will have a go tomorrow.

In terms of detail; well, it's essentially a belt drive suspended design - it's a bit more complicated than that though. I'll write up a few details if you like?

YNWOAN

Wow, what table is that? It's very elegant as is the 'cover'. Did you design it?

Sorry hockman, missed your post - yes, I designed it :).

That would be great. I'm all digital, but a well engineered analogue player still fascinates me and this looks rather interesting indeed :)

James

Beautiful deck is that Mark. Great design and very stylish, it will never go out of fashion. Not too sure about the cover, I think it may need sides on it to keep the dust out. A bit like an LP12 lid but without the hinges. I think though whatever lid you put on it is going to spoil it though as it's a real beaut.

Pete, you are quite correct about the cover, I only really made it to keep dust off the platter - that's why I had the soft cover made (which works well but isn't a great looker). I have considered having a sided cover made - just haven't done it yet.

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking Jason. If you mean the three turrets that are on the chassis - they are essentially the lock nuts for adjusting the chassis. If you put an allen key down the hole in the middle of them, you can adjust the height and level of the chassis. The adjustable points (well, more like domes rather than points) rest in a kind of two part cup arrangement that fits into part of the suspension. But the main part of the suspension is inside the square plate you refer to - the plate is actually in two parts and the top one floats above the lower one (which is bolted into the stand). The motor pod isn't loose either and it is located in a cutout in the plinth, it's bolted down in a manner designed to minimise transfer of motor noise. None of the parts are loose.

Are the "turrest" attached to the square plate that sits on the tripod? Or are they loose?

Jason

Ah, thinking about it, are you thinking that the triangular chassis shape might just be sitting on the square plinth? It does look a bit like that, but actually it isn't. The chassis is resting on three suspension elements (via the two part cup arrangement I mention above) that are embedded into the top part of the plinth (the plinth also contains another level of suspension, set to a much lower resonant frequency).

So, yes they are attached and not loose; however, they are not bolted together and the chassis can be lifted off the towers. You can't move the chassis around on the plinth, it will only locate on the suspension towers in one particular position. You can't move the motor position either - there is adjustment for belt tension, but that's all.

Thanks for the explanation - an elegant solution all around - I was a little worried about your Aro rest ...

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back