advertisement

System pics 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely Rob. My first introduction to hifi happened when I was 16, the system;
Linn LP12 / Ittok / Asak
Quad 44 / FM4 / 405 (mk2?)
Quad ESL63.

spent many hours listening to that at a friends house and it is what turned me to the dark side of the force..

Very nice Rob - I've also been giving some thought to acoustic treatment of the room.

Do you mind if I ask where you got the dark grey spongy panels near your speakers from?

Steven - loving the amps!

Lefty

Thanks Lefty,

Foam came from here:

http://www.acoustic-foam.co.uk/products/AFP75-75mm-Acoustic-Foam-Pyramid-Tile-Box-of-20-Tiles.html

Worth getting the thicker 75mm tiles as in the link. Thinner ones won't do very much in most situation. The bottom of the window bay section uses them and they certainly help with ESLs in a small room. Also useful behind loudspeakers with a narrow baffle as upper mid band is radiated to the sides and behind the cabinet. This type of foam does nothing at lower mid and low frequencies.

I see you changed from Naim to Rega, Neilo 7.
Looks good though! :)

(btw,...is it me, the light, or do your dac and amp already have some damage ?

@Lefty.
NICE, a dedicated listening room! :) Looking good. (must be every HiFi/music lovers dream)

It's the light Alco. Not a scratch on them. They still have the plastic protection on them

Ah yes, I think you may be right. The room is on its own circuit on the consumer unit. Does this confer any benefit?

Lefty

Obviously better if you had a separate dedicated c.u. (with RCBO (s)), but if you've only the one circuit I guess convenience matters. You're still 'sharing' with the domestic circuits, but it's a helluva lot better than sticking your hifi into switched sockets on the house main.:)

You could consider a separate RCBO for safety reasons, but, not being an electrician, I'm not sure whether 'doubling up' (assuming your c.u. power circuits already have a common RCD) is viable.

Robert, thats a great room and kit you have! I love the retro gear - its way cooler than the new stuff.
Good taste indeed!
Louballoo

Robert, amazing looking system. As a fellow P9 owner, some q's:

How big is the audible imporvement from removing the plinth surround?

Where did you get your platter mat? The only coloured ones I can find online are too thick...

And finally, what is that coloured green band around your inner plinth?

Thanks.

Tim

Hi Rob,

great setup! Can you please expand on this bit:

Dacmagic is all the dac I require since any EQ can now be done on the iMac (previously I used a DEQ).

What program are you using for that? Does it involve room correction?

Thx,
Samuel.

Robert, amazing looking system. As a fellow P9 owner, some q's:

How big is the audible imporvement from removing the plinth surround?

Where did you get your platter mat? The only coloured ones I can find online are too thick...

And finally, what is that coloured green band around your inner plinth?

Thanks.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Logically, removing the outer plinth should sound better but I can't honestly say I hear any effect. I blow hot n cold on the subject so sometimes run with the outer plinth on. The green band is just some silk ribbon and it fastens at the back using two small screws in the holes left by the outer plinth bolts. Loads on eBay - just search 'green ribbon'.

The platter mat came via Dave at Radlett Audio. I'd asked for one and Rega had none left in stock as they only do small batches infrequently.
Then one day Dave emailed to say that Rega were having a clear-out and moving offices, remembered his enquiry and sent the mat having found a spare lurking in a cupboard . Very good of them :)
Give Rega a call as they might still have some. They originally came in several colours so worth also asking some dealers.

What program are you using for that? Does it involve room correction?

Thx,
Samuel.

Hi Samuel,

I wrote a piece over at our place so easier to give the link:

http://www.audiosmile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28871

That's one very substantial record collection, ROBERT; is it in alpha or genre order, or both?

As someone who has never contemplated the need for room treatment in 45 years, how does one know that remedial treatment would be beneficial?

Do you identify a sonic problem first, or try to improve what ostensibly seems okay? Furthermore, do panel speakers exhibit resonances that a moving coil speaker might not? Quite interesting.

Hi Mike,

That's only half the record collection :) - in alpha order.

WRT room treatments, I think its both identifying a current problem and also understanding what treatment can do, which empowers you to experiment productively.

Not all rooms need acoustic treatment IMO, though most can benefit in some way.
With panels of course you have the rear radiation to deal with, and usually you've got exactly the same pattern of sound front and rear.
Rule number one must be to avoid having the loudspeaker parallel with a rear wall - at all costs - since you'll simply reflect sound back at the listening position via the panel loudspeaker.
IME panels are easier to position for good bass even in quite small rooms. This is because they only lightly excite the floor-ceiling mode, and also the dimension in the plane of the panel. That leaves one main mode to worry about instead of three. So given a reasonable distance from the rear wall you can concentrate on reflections higher up the range, which are easier to treat. Start with the first reflections.
I'd also say that a large record collection is a very cost effective room treatment - good for alcoves and provides some diffusion. Ask Tony!

But this is a system photo thread so folk won't want be blathering on about room acoustics.
Again I'd point you to our Reference section where you can find lots of articles and even a video on room EQ. The articles are generic and don't advertise product specifically.

Latest look at my little setup with the Skylan stands and the grilles in place on the Harbeth's as Alan Shaw recommends. Not in the pic is a REL T5 that I use to augment the bass of my P3's.

010-27.jpg

NAD C326BEE~NAD C545BEE~Rega RP1/Elys 2/Fono Mini~Harbeth P3ESR~REL T5~Cables by Van den Hul

Finally, after years of waiting, I have my own dedicated listening room. The layout isn't finalised yet but it's great to be able to enjoy my music again :)

Oh... and as always there are a few new components to be playing around with. After dipping my toe into valves with a Pure Sound A30, I've now dived right in with a pair of Hyperion HT-845 monos. (Close up photos to follow) Unfortunately, these didn't quite have the required grunt to drive the Shahinians, so I've replaced them with a pair of humble Audio Note AZ-1, which sound much better in this context. Just goes to show the importance of amp / speaker matching!

6290937183_3a18db69bb_b.jpg

Lefty

...And here's one I finished earlier....

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13941

ESL63s have replaced the ESL57 in the main system, which in turn prompted a 405-2 to replace the smaller 306 for a little more juice.

DSC00397.jpg

Nice!

Did you find the 63s harder or easier to position than the 57s?

(I've still got you amplifier - I'd completely forgotten. I must pop down with it at some point. Apologies!)

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I found the 63s a little easier to position - not so critical of the sweet spot.

No worries with the amp. You are welcome anytime so let me know when you next plan to venture this way. Reminds me that I've still got your Linn Karma!

Hope this works; this posting system pic's is a new learning curve for me, thanks to my other half, who's much more computer literate, but a crappy teacher !:(

This has taken ten years to develop, with two major building jobs and a few bits of D.I.Y. Mind you, the kit has changed a bit in that time. Still not finished, though (as you can see in the CDP perched on top of the tuner).

Sunday30Octhififromoutside096.jpg

Sunday30Octhififromoutside113.jpg

Sunday30Octhififromoutside116.jpg

Sunday30Octhififromoutside109.jpg

The Dais/Ace Anna table will go against the wall when the Orbe shelf comes down and is moved to accommodate the G08 CDP

It looks like some planning has gone into that. Did you have to knock the two walls down? Is that an RSJ running the length of the room?

Whats the kit Mike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back