advertisement

System pics 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind words chaps :)

Mike - Yup, the room is on its own dedicated spur. Don't know if it has yielded any improvement as I was naughty and swapped boxes whilst it was being built!

The back of the room which is out of shot houses my guitars, music, books and computer. No need / desire for a TV

Lefty
Looking good Lefty, your old HX75 is sounding very sweet with my Compass speakers. Without going too off topic, what guitars are lurking in the background?

Richard

Lookin' good Lefty. :)

I take it this is in the same house I've visited you at? If so, how did you get on having the separate spur installed? I'm giving serious thought to getting one done at our place now that I have a (relatively) music-only living room.

Thank you kindly Mr G :D

I've moved recently so it's a different house (same area though). Spacey has got it dead on.... the room is a garage conversion. That's why it was easy to specify a separate spur for everything. Having said that, the 'leccy man gave the impression that it wasn't a big deal so I shouldn't imagine it to be too difficult a task if you wanted it doing within an existing room. Shouldn't be too expensive either. I would be interested to hear about your experience if you decide to go down this route.

Allan - The sofa is a Karlstad 2 seater in Lindo Beige from Ikea.

Oakwood - Glad to hear the HX75 is still doing the business for you. I really enjoyed my time with it so glad to hear it is putting a smile on someone else's face :) The guitars are nothing too exotic. A Tokai 'Goldstar Sound' and an Epiphone Les Paul. Both left handed of course!

Lefty

Oh.... and as promised, here's the 'money shot' of the big 845 monos :)

6290972389_ee0f17f8b3_b.jpg

Lefty

Thank you kindly Mr G :D

............ That's why it was easy to specify a separate spur for everything.

Lefty

I know it's only a name, but I doubt you have a spur (or spurs). You will have radial circuits. Just one, as previous post, or many, as intimated here?

I doubt you'd get an easier dedicated mains job than in a GARAGE !!!!! Assuming, like mine, your incoming mains is there. My hifi is two rooms and 11 metres from my board; it involved taking eight hefty cables though the outer cavity wall,up over the hall, across the ceiling space and down again. No joke.

Did you have a separate c.u. (with separate RCBOs) installed, or simply added to the domestic c.u.?

B.t.w., a spur comes off an EXISTING main or circuit or via the back of a socket; a radial circuit is one which 'radiates' from a given source point (i.e. a consumer unit).

Anyway, good thinking.

I know it's only a name, but I doubt you have a spur (or spurs). You will have radial circuits. Just one, as previous post, or many, as intimated here?

I doubt you'd get an easier dedicated mains job than in a GARAGE !!!!! Assuming, like mine, your incoming mains is there. My hifi is two rooms and 11 metres from my board; it involved taking eight hefty cables though the outer cavity wall,up over the hall, across the ceiling space and down again. No joke.

Did you have a separate c.u. (with separate RCBOs) installed, or simply added to the domestic c.u.?

B.t.w., a spur comes off an EXISTING main or circuit or via the back of a socket; a radial circuit is one which 'radiates' from a given source point (i.e. a consumer unit).

Anyway, good thinking.

Ah yes, I think you may be right. The room is on its own circuit on the consumer unit. Does this confer any benefit?

Lefty

Finally, after years of waiting, I have my own dedicated listening room. The layout isn't finalised yet but it's great to be able to enjoy my music again :)

Oh... and as always there are a few new components to be playing around with. After dipping my toe into valves with a Pure Sound A30, I've now dived right in with a pair of Hyperion HT-845 monos. (Close up photos to follow) Unfortunately, these didn't quite have the required grunt to drive the Shahinians, so I've replaced them with a pair of humble Audio Note AZ-1, which sound much better in this context. Just goes to show the importance of amp / speaker matching!

6290937183_3a18db69bb_b.jpg

Lefty

LOL i thought the wife had finally got fed up with all your swapping and kicked you out of the living room and up to the bedroom :)

Steve,

Will they eventually develop that patina like a dull penny (desirable IMO giving it that 50's communication room look)

regards,

dave

A few changes in 2011.

ESL63s have replaced the ESL57 in the main system, which in turn prompted a 405-2 to replace the smaller 306 for a little more juice.

Quad wooden rack holds the electronics.

Acoustic treatments behind the loudspeakers, plus diffusors on the side walls (the white wooden framed thing looking like a picture) and diffusors behind the listening seat (the orange rectangles). Also some bass trapping in the corner out of view.

Revox B77 has been replaced with an iMac acting as digital music source and recorder. This is dedicated to music duties and stripped of non audio related software. It also acts as my digital recorder for needledrops and the like.
Dacmagic is all the dac I require since any EQ can now be done on the iMac (previously I used a DEQ).

I no longer use a separate phono stage since the card in the Q34, with a modern op amp and low noise head amp transistors does the job perfectly well. A tad less hiss than the standard Q34.

All the Quad kit is fully serviced by me. The Q34 is quite heavily rebuilt - and most of it did nothing of any use though it does improve the numbers from excellent to excellent+ :)

Pics:

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

Very nice Rob - I've also been giving some thought to acoustic treatment of the room.

Do you mind if I ask where you got the dark grey spongy panels near your speakers from?

Steven - loving the amps!

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back