advertisement

Surge in vinyl sales

All the Koetsus I've heard have been horribly coloured and inaccurate, nasty things!

Just remembered, it's a Rohmann!

The Duet knocks it into a cocked-hat sound wise...

I have to agree; my Urushi Vermillion is a terrible colour, and it may even be inaccurate (whatever that is), but it's sure as Hell musical and dynamic.

Your comments suggested that you prefer a 'paint-stripping' sound, and then I read about your Rohmann, which is about the blandest cartridge I've heard. From Skala (0.5mV output) to Rohmann (0.25mV ish) is quite a change, but I don't know of the Duet.

i guess it's a synergy thing, Basil. Having built up a smallish classical CD collection from Penguin or similarly recommended discs two or three years ago (when I had a Helikon through Naim amplification) I really wanted CD to work, but it's a long time since I've played any............

Maybe a Naim 555 or similar, or a valved CDP, might change the situation, but classical vinyl is so currently absorbing that I am sceptical. Mind you, that's AFTER I've cleaned them on an R.C.M.:)

New vinyl is a niche market and it is expensive compared to CD and digital. I still buy it because it sounds a lot more musical than any other format.

My kids bought me the Adele 21 album, I felt it could have been recorded/mixed/mastered better tbh. One or two tracks were ok but most of it is just not right up there with some of the good other discs I have.
I have not listened to the CD so it could be even worse...

I have some very good sounding CD's too so it can be done on both media and vinyl is not a blanket top notch playback.

It's really great when you get that good recording and you really like the artist / music they make isn't it. One or the other somehow doesn't quite do it.

The Adele vinyl is better than the cd, notably less compressed. I find that with most vinyl these days. Back to black would be another example, the UK vinyl is -3db compared to the cd and the US vinyl is -3db compared to the UK vinyl.

advertisement

Back