advertisement

Surge in vinyl sales

Hi,

No, itunes and streamed digital music will be the mode of the future.

Vinyl is only used by a tiny percentage of the public, soon the only vinyl you will be able to buy is old vinyl.

John

I see that HMV has started to sell vinyl again; in fact, quite a lot of it.

20+ year 'fizzle out' is a heck of a long 'fizzle' - I'm sure you know best though....(I'm off to buy 'The Civil Wars' on vinyl :)).

It would seem that turntables outsold cd players last year according to GFk.

"77,400 turntables were sold in the year to May 2010 (a 11% increase). That compares to 41,400 CD players." :- GFK

People must have something to play on them.

The days of CD as a format supported by the launch of shiny new players are somewhat limited I suspect

Vinyl is only used by a tiny percentage of the public, soon the only vinyl you will be able to buy is old vinyl.

Rubbish! You can buy a large proportion of today's music now on vinyl. Why? because there is a market for it and because it sounds so much better than anything digital. Plus there are no copy write issues.

thing is that includes those 30 quid usb turntables.....

And 15 £ portable CD-players.

Some time in the future LP-sales will decrease again. But it looks like the CD might disappear before that. Who would have guessed that 28 years ago?

JohanR

Finally my friends don't see me as a complete idiot because I buy (and always have bought) vinyl. I hope to stay in the ranks of the sane people for at least a few more years.

Plus there are no copy write issues.

That's not what they said thirty years ago.

home_taping_is_killing_music.png

And 15 £ portable CD-players.

Some time in the future LP-sales will decrease again. But it looks like the CD might disappear before that. Who would have guessed that 28 years ago?

JohanR

According to the GfK stats in 2010:

Turntable: 74,400 units sold, average price £98.50
CD: 36,600 units sold, average price £339

Oh crap.:eek: I have been taking all my albums (excpet for a few) to my local charity shop in these past few weeks as I have no intention of buying a turntable.

I see that HMV has started to sell vinyl again; in fact, quite a lot of it.

20+ year 'fizzle out' is a heck of a long 'fizzle' - I'm sure you know best though....(I'm off to buy 'The Civil Wars' on vinyl :)).

Download already - superb album and really well mastered.

The fact that turntables outsold CD players in 2010 should have a knock on effect on the vinyl sales giving them a little boost also. Rough Trade are even selling a Rough Trade branded Rega TT http://www.roughtrade.com/site/content.lasso?page=regapage.html

As pure sound said:
People must have something to play on them./QUOTE]

I think there is also an element of cool with the whole 'vintage' thing being very big at the moment. This will no doubt 'fizzle out' but I would like to think vinyl will out last CDs.

Lets face it there will always be audiophiles who prefer the the vinyl sound.

I hope it continues.

I used to run a team with quite a few youngsters. Not a single one had bought a CD in years, but more than a few visited Richer Sounds to buy a turntable.

I was watching a telly series about a young barrister and there were shots of her putting an LP on.

Many DJs use vinyl.

Vinyl is quite trendy.

Nic P

I was shopping in RTE today, and the evidence was the CD racks had only one or two folk looking through them, and the vinyl racks had about a dozen young hipsters flicking the sleeves is it. As mentioned about they have what look like Rega derived record players on offer, but no CD players I could see.

So vinyl > CD there.

I did buy one CD amongst the vinyl though, because the black version was £25 there.

DS

I recently bought Suzanne Vega's 'Solitude Standing' on vinyl. (Second hand, of course) Also on CD. ( Again, second hand ) I prefer the vinyl copy, whether with a MC cartridge or a ( humble ?) M75ED. The CD sounds pretty good on my Naim CD player, though. I've always understood Naim were trying to emulate the sound of records with their CD players...

advertisement

Back