advertisement

Surge in vinyl sales

I recently bought Suzanne Vega's 'Solitude Standing' on vinyl. (Second hand, of course) Also on CD. ( Again, second hand ) I prefer the vinyl copy, whether with a MC cartridge or a ( humble ?) M75ED. The CD sounds pretty good on my Naim CD player, though. I've always understood Naim were trying to emulate the sound of records with their CD players...

I have a Naim pure sound cd, It is of superb sound.
Music recorded all with just two mics.
Impressive.

Morse and Wallander used Vinyl - Can't be that trendy:)
I like to use & with good RCM and antistatic procedures it works very well and is more fun / tactile... My daughter has a record deck and more of her friends are showing interest - it is spreading.

According to the GfK stats in 2010:

Turntable: 74,400 units sold, average price £98.50
CD: 36,600 units sold, average price £339

Ok, Allan. That means the CD-players are of decent HiFi-quality, not so much the turntables. Possibly then that people don't buy a new turntable for SQ reason, more because, as already mentioned, it has a USB port. In my dreamt up world all turntable users are audiophiles and would only buy double 45 rpm LP's. Then reality comes crashing down on me :)

JohanR

Hi,

I was spinning a few singles on my Roksan last night, Futures so bright I gotta wear shades!

Pete

Rubbish! You can buy a large proportion of today's music now on vinyl. Why? because there is a market for it and because it sounds so much better than anything digital. Plus there are no copy write issues.

The vinyl you buy nowadays IS digital. How many of the masters were recorded with analog kit, do you think? or mixed? or mastered?

So what you are buying is a digital music file converted to analog at the cutting stage.

So, a recording made with all the advantages of digital techniques is then, at the final stage, degraded significantly so it can be transferred to vinyl.

Buy these jokes as collectors items if you will, but please do not claim that they are in any way superior in terms of sound quality. They may have a better sounding re-master, but in terms of absolute quality...forget it.

Chris

Chris

The vinyl you buy nowadays IS digital. How many of the masters were recorded with analog kit, do you think? or mixed? or mastered?

So what you are buying is a digital music file converted to analog at the cutting stage.

So, a recording made with all the advantages of digital techniques is then, at the final stage, degraded significantly so it can be transferred to vinyl.

Buy these jokes as collectors items if you will, but please do not claim that they are in any way superior in terms of sound quality. They may have a better sounding re-master, but in terms of absolute quality...forget it.

You neglect the mastering stage, which is often done in a very different way as it is assumed the end-user will have far higher quality kit, e.g. even with a fully digital recording there is a very good chance that final 'cut' stage brickwall compression is not applied to the vinyl as it is realised no one will be listening to it via crappy iPod earbuds on a tube. This is easy to hear with many titles. Then we have the very high quality audiophile reissue market e.g. Classic Records, Audio Fidelity, Analog Productions, ORG, MFSL etc etc, most of which simply knock the CD out of the ballpark.

I never fail to be amazed just how little typical hi-fi punters grasp about mastering - it is the most important thing IMO, the very thing people should here should really focus upon - the difference between a good and bad master is *way* more than that between audio components. It is why folk such as me (and just about everyone over on Steve Hoffman's forum) regularly compare different pressings of a title, compare vinyl against CD etc. The format is unimportant, the issue is how many horrible decisions have been made in the studio at that final stage!

e.g. even with a fully digital recording there is a very good chance the final 'cut' stage brickwall compression is not applied to the vinyl as it is realised no one will be listening to it via crappy iPod earbuds on a tube.

I still find the associated noise that comes with every classical record I've ever heard, and a large number of rock and pop lps, more annoying...

You neglect the mastering stage, which is often done in a very different way as it is assumed the end-user will have far higher quality kit, e.g. even with a fully digital recording there is a very good chance that final 'cut' stage brickwall compression is not applied to the vinyl as it is realised no one will be listening to it via crappy iPod earbuds on a tube. This is easy to hear with many titles. Then we have the very high quality audiophile reissue market e.g. Classic Records, Audio Fidelity, Analog Productions, ORG, MFSL etc etc, most of which simply knock the CD out of the ballpark.

I never fail to be amazed just how little typical hi-fi punters grasp about mastering - it is the most important thing IMO, the very thing people should here should really focus upon - the difference between a good and bad master is *way* more than that between audio components. It is why folk such as me (and just about everyone over on Steve Hoffman's forum) regularly compare different pressings of a title, compare vinyl against CD etc. The format is unimportant, the issue is how many horrible decisions have been made in the studio at that final stage!

There is a full article on this subject (sound on sound maybe) but I can't seem to find it. I think this goes some way to show how important mastering is and really opened my eyes when I read the full article (if anyone can find the link I'd love to read it again).http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I didn't actually, Tony, read the last paragraph.

Chris

I still find the associated noise that comes with every classical record I've ever heard, and a large number of rock and pop lps, more annoying...

That's not my experience nowadays, Basil and I wonder if you have an R.C.M.

However, my previous Lyras tended to show vinyl noise (partly resulting in my not playing much classical), but my current Koetsus have had me rediscovering my classical collection. Treble emphasis of the cart's? Maybe to a small extent, but there's more to it, I'm sure.

That's not my experience nowadays, Basil and I wonder if you have an R.C.M.

However, my previous Lyras tended to show vinyl noise (partly resulting in my not playing much classical), but my current Koetsus have had me rediscovering my classical collection. Treble emphasis of the cart's? Maybe to a small extent, but there's more to it, I'm sure.

I don't have a record cleaning machine, but have had a few done at Grahams. It made no difference.

All the Koetsus I've heard have been horribly coloured and inaccurate, nasty things!

Actually the Skala was probably the best cartridge I've heard for minimising surface and groove damage noise, problem was, being retired and having lots of free time to listen, I wore it out in a little over a year! I'm currently using an Ortofon the name of which temporarily escapes me! It's big, blue and cost about a grand!

I also found that you become accustomed to clicks and surface noise, the brain filters them out. This is why, in my opinion, CD received such a poor reception from the vocal hi-fi obsessed minority, without all the noise to filter out, they realised just how poor their kit sounded when fed a clean signal for the first time!

It also explains why, having listened almost exclusivly to CDs for the last couple of years, why I find playing the odd lp almost impossible now.

Just remembered, it's a Rohmann!

The Duet knocks it into a cocked-hat sound wise...

You must have had some records that were in very poor condition Basil. I'm also very surprised that whoever cleaned your records wasn't able to improve things. However, if you do find the occasional click more annoying than the kind of compression seen on many modern CD's (particularly Rock & pop) then I'm surprised. I find such limiting extremely intrusive.

from the recent 'Let them talk' blues album by Hugh Lawrie

HughLawrie.jpg

from the recent 'Dust Bowl' album by Joe Bonamassa

JoeBonamassa.jpg

from Adele 21

Adele.jpg

Not great are they? Not the CD format's fault but this seems to be the rubbish one gets.

Otoh, I buy plenty of well cared for classical LP's most weeks & don't have a problem with them.

You must have had some records that were in very poor condition Basil. I'm also very surprised that whoever cleaned your records wasn't able to improve things. However, if you do find the occasional click more annoying than the kind of compression seen on many modern CD's (particularly Rock & pop) then I'm surprised. I find such limiting extremely intrusive.

Not great are they? Not the CD format's fault but this seems to be the rubbish one gets.

Otoh, I buy plenty of well cared for classical LP's most weeks & don't have a problem with them.

Some!

It's all of them...

Perhaps I'm just lucky, I only have a passing interest in pop 'n' rock. And the stuff I do like, such as Natalie Merchant, REM, Steely Dan, Yello etc... (feel free to laugh and mock my taste in music, I won't mind!) sounds not only good on CD but much better than the lps some of them replaced.

I agree that for classical music vinyl is not a good option. The very wide dynamic range causes problems at both ends: when quiet you can hear the surface noise too much and when loud, unless you've got a really top notch cartridge / arm / turntable, you get mistracking.

There's something about what vinyl does to rock music definitely. It somehow sounds more human, less processed, more exciting.

The internet has been the saviour without a doubt. If I'd been relying on shops vinyl would have been dead long ago. The internet makes reaching us few disciples so much easier. And gradually we've turned the tide :)

I agree that for classical music vinyl is not a good option. The very wide dynamic range causes problems at both ends: when quiet you can hear the surface noise too much and when loud, unless you've got a really top notch cartridge / arm / turntable, you get mistracking.

There's something about what vinyl does to rock music definitely. It somehow sounds more human, less processed, more exciting.

The internet has been the saviour without a doubt. If I'd been relying on shops vinyl would have been dead long ago. The internet makes reaching us few disciples so much easier. And gradually we've turned the tide :)

Even with the most expensive carts, if the damage is already done, it'll still mis-track... Hell I've bought new lps that mis-tracked from the get go...

Well most rock music is at a pretty constant level, I.E. LOUD, with just the occasional foray into BLOODY LOUD! So the flaws of vinyl remain cloaked.

It's from the CD. Track 8 iirc. I'd be very interested if you could upload a needledrop of a couple of minutes worth to see whether the vinyl version is less squashed.

Here's a pic of my Adele 21 from audacity. I messed up and recorded it in mono.... it was my first play at recording, via my netbook and behringer adc thingy.

adele21.jpg

Here's a pic of my Adele 21 from audacity. I messed up and recorded it in mono.... it was my first play at recording, via my netbook and behringer adc thingy.

adele21.jpg

Cripes. Game over for the CD. One has no clicks and pops, the other allows the music to get louder and quieter, the way it was recorded. I know which I would pick. As has been said, this isn't the fault of the CD medium, but it does make pointless any comparison of the two media with this music.

On the other hand, LPs very often have the deep bass squashed compared to the same album on CD, presumably because they can't fit the programme on the side without nuking the bass. I think I would rather put up with anaemic bass than compression killing the dynamic range.

advertisement

Back