advertisement

Surge in vinyl sales

I now listen to exclusively vinyl on the main rig. So much good stuff out there past and present that I could not possibly hope to listen to all of it in this lifetime. I do listen to digital on the phone/computer etc. but find vinyl more enjoyable so have decided that is where my main spend will go. I also really enjoy the collecting aspect of SH vinyl and the wonderful cover artwork.

Wonder how many cases there are where the vinyl is brick walled and cd is not.

Pretty much every classical recording in my experience.

How can this be considered 'hi-fi'...

For the real horror show, skip forwards to about 6 minutes...

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's a tired 53 year old record* What's your excuse for the 3 CD's above? They are new this year but they'll never be good sounding. Not on CD anyhow.

*As a recording (even via the pc speakers & the limitations of Youtube) it actually sounds promising. I'd be happy to find a copy in good condition.

So it's a tired 53 year old record* What's your excuse for the 3 CD's above? They are new this year but they'll never be good sounding. Not on CD anyhow.

*As a recording (even via the pc speakers & the limitations of Youtube) it actually sounds promising. I'd be happy to find a copy in good condition.

I make no excuse, but seeing as folk listening on iPods or cheap computer speakers out number those with a traditional hi-fi by about 100,000 to 1, I understand the reasoning behind it.

Thankfully it only seems to be a problem for music I don't listen to so it's a problem I can ignore.

Unlike noisy records... ;-)

You neglect the mastering stage, which is often done in a very different way as it is assumed the end-user will have far higher quality kit, e.g. even with a fully digital recording there is a very good chance that final 'cut' stage brickwall compression is not applied to the vinyl as it is realised no one will be listening to it via crappy iPod earbuds on a tube. This is easy to hear with many titles. Then we have the very high quality audiophile reissue market e.g. Classic Records, Audio Fidelity, Analog Productions, ORG, MFSL etc etc, most of which simply knock the CD out of the ballpark.

I never fail to be amazed just how little typical hi-fi punters grasp about mastering - it is the most important thing IMO, the very thing people should here should really focus upon - the difference between a good and bad master is *way* more than that between audio components. It is why folk such as me (and just about everyone over on Steve Hoffman's forum) regularly compare different pressings of a title, compare vinyl against CD etc. The format is unimportant, the issue is how many horrible decisions have been made in the studio at that final stage!

I think this is the single most important thing I have learnt over the last few years through being a contributor to PFM. For me it is proven by making a good CD copy of the phono stage output ... it is barely distinguishable from the vinyl and is usually miles better than the standard CD of the supposedly same recording you buy on CD.

Nic P

Vuk,

you have an adele album?
Nah, I prefer Ella, Sarah and Billie.

For modern stuff, I'll take Any Winehouse, though the only album of hers I have is Back to Black.

Joe

I'd like to point out that I made a copy of someone else's Adele CD. But I'm afraid she does nothing for me either!

Liked the link about the Dublin music shop :D Michael Nyman renditions aswell!

Adele 21 is for me a great album (and I don't usually like this genre). I know this isn't a music thread, but it annoys me to see one of the few new great talents slagged off.

Nic P

Who has 'slagged her off'?

I said that she didn't do anything for me, not that she wasn't talented or was a bad singer. Joe said he preferred other female jazz singers.

I agree that for classical music vinyl is not a good option. The very wide dynamic range causes problems at both ends: when quiet you can hear the surface noise too much and when loud, unless you've got a really top notch cartridge / arm / turntable, you get mistracking.

The internet has been the saviour without a doubt. :)

I disagree with your first comment now, whereas I might have agreed a few years ago, but as my vinyl replay system costs n times the CDP, I really can't judge on a fair basis. Never had mistracking through classical's greater dynamic range though.

I baulk at paying £3 or more postage for albums by internet, and if it's used vinyl, there's a good chance it'll be less than pristine. Still looking for shop here in Norwich which sells new vinyl !:(

I listen to classical on vinyl every day because it always sounds better than CD - I do have the same copies on both formats in a few cases to compare. There is no mis-tracking, but it takes a good set-up to get that: my Xerxes tracked better than a Rega 3 but still mis-tracked a little compared to my TMS.

mat

advertisement

Back