advertisement

Suggestions for first vinyl rig . . .

I'd appreciate you giving your opinion and some comment on their general sound signature if you have heard them - that is what I asked for. You don't need to worry about the thread being derailed.

I'm sure other members will respect my reasons for starting this thread and not turn it into a sparing match over brand loyalty, but do also welcome their subjective descriptive opinions also.

Well you asked for it!

The SME 10 is pretty bland sounding but looks nice and has a small footprint. It sounds very constrained and polite.

The 20 is better and sounds good on classical music. Colouration is very low. It doesn't time very well and is a poor choice for rock.

The 30 is better but is way over priced. Much cheaper decks exist that out perform it and some by a wide margin. Doesn't suit rock as well either unless you swap off the SME V for a graham or tri-planar.

SME make some of the most neutral and uncoloured decks out there. This is their strong point and they are strongly favoured by professionals within the classical industry. To me they sound a bit flat, slow, lifeless and mechanical.

For classical I think the amazon reference is better. For rock / jazz/ dance choose Yorke, Brinkman or avid. I bought the brinkmann lagrange

Well you asked for it!

The SME 10 is pretty bland sounding but looks nice and has a small footprint. It sounds very constrained and polite.

The 20 is better and sounds good on classical music. Colouration is very low. It doesn't time very well and is a poor choice for rock.

The 30 is better but is way over priced. Much cheaper decks exist that out perform it and some by a wide margin. Doesn't suit rock as well either unless you swap off the SME V for a graham or tri-planar.

SME make some of the most neutral and uncoloured decks out there. This is their strong point and they are strongly favoured by professionals within the classical industry. To me they sound a bit flat, slow, lifeless and mechanical.

For classical I think the amazon reference is better. For rock / jazz/ dance choose Yorke, Brinkman or avid. I bought the brinkmann lagrange

Thankyou Jek.

5K should give you a FULLY restored Garrard 401 in slate plinth (Audio Grail UK or Northwest Analogue) along with one of the top (modern) arms from SME - as high as you can afford. But that would be the all-in option. :) I doubt you'll find much giving more owners joy & musical enjoyment.

I also agree on the midrange Rega option for testing waters if that appeals more to you as a starting point.

Both options (Rega, Garrard, SME) retains high re-sale value and market appeal should the trials and tribulations of LP playback not be for you after all. :)

Hi Gaius,
It's probably the sound of the train grumbling as it (i.e.this thread) leaves the rails...

5K should give you a FULLY restored Garrard 401 in slate plinth (Audio Grail UK or Northwest Analogue) along with one of the top (modern) arms from SME - as high as you can afford. But that would be the all-in option. :) I doubt you'll find much giving more owners joy & musical enjoyment.

I also agree on the midrange Rega option for testing waters if that appeals more to you as a starting point.

Both options (Rega, Garrard, SME) retains high re-sale value and market appeal should the trials and tribulations of LP playback not be for you after all. :)

Thanks for your post Krenzler, but as I say, my preference is for a new, rather than vintage, deck.

I fully understand your trepidation and preference. Not to keep beating the dead horse (or perhaps a little..), a proper all-round fettled Garrard 301/401 is about as maintenance free as they come. Just to give an idea:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/audio-grail-shop?_rdc=1

Expensive yes but they just don't make them like this anymore.

I'll keep shtum for now. :) Good luck with the rig huntin'.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for your post Krenzler, but as I say, my preference is for a new, rather than vintage, deck.

Mine (Classic Turntable Company) is essentially a new deck - just borrows the 301 design...

http://www.classichifi-shop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/SMD-Garrard-11.jpg

The only "old" parts are the motor (which is reconditioned anyway) and NOS (or remanufactured) idler wheel.

As I said (twice!) before it's all down to your preferences, but this is (one of) the best looking decks I've clapped my eyes on.

Sounds damn fine too - and that's before I get my NorthWest Analogue re-worked Troika on it :)

I fully understand your trepidation and preference. Not to keep beating the dead horse (or perhaps a little..), a proper all-round fettled Garrard 301/401 is about as maintenance free as they come. Just to give an idea:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/audio-grail-shop?_rdc=1

Expensive yes but they just don't make them like this anymore.

I'll keep shtum for now. :) Good luck with the rig huntin'.

Yup, these are very nice too - tend to go for around £1750.

Possibly a tad difficult to compare the CTC/Audio-Grail etc, but I was/am very happy with my choice. I think Ray (CTC) has done a fantasitic job all round and has upped the spec of the 301 quite considerably over the original.

Sorry to bang on - but one thing to consider (other than its pure beauty :) ) is ease of use, including such things as 33/45/78 speed change without fiddling with belts (or worse), and its rock solid stance when cueing etc...

Compare that with a Michell, for example.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am sure Tangerine or some such could offer a good deal on a new bardo / 9.6 / pi / fein combo

You could then trade in your existing phono and pre and run the fein (which has a well buffered volume control) direct into your power amp or active speakers

Perhaps still a little over budget but hard to beat... otherwise stick an sme309 and a £200 ortofon on it and buy a second hand fein. That would come in on budget or thereabouts and be tough to beat

Or a funk setup... choices choices

We are more than happy to discuss Brinkmann with the OP, the Bardo being an astonishing player.

Blade, if this is of interest please contact me directly.

Mark

This is a price point I don't have an opportunity to play in yet, but I think the person who suggested the P5 for £500 had a good thought.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of my low-end Rega, arm and Denon cart. I've heard better in my system, but better took way more fuss. But better is better. Good is still very good.

I think for a first table, a Rega with a dust cover is a great choice. It's cheap enough to hang onto as a backup after you've sorted out your final analog front end. Or it would make a cool present for someone.

Good luck on your quest. I'm jealous.

I am sure Tangerine or some such could offer a good deal on a new bardo / 9.6 / pi / fein combo

You could then trade in your existing phono and pre and run the fein (which has a well buffered volume control) direct into your power amp or active speakers

Perhaps still a little over budget but hard to beat... otherwise stick an sme309 and a £200 ortofon on it and buy a second hand fein. That would come in on budget or thereabouts and be tough to beat

Or a funk setup... choices choices

Thanks Jek, Brinkmann are definitely on the list!

This is a price point I don't have an opportunity to play in yet, but I think the person who suggested the P5 for £500 had a good thought.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of my low-end Rega, arm and Denon cart. I've heard better in my system, but better took way more fuss. But better is better. Good is still very good.

I think for a first table, a Rega with a dust cover is a great choice. It's cheap enough to hang onto as a backup after you've sorted out your final analog front end. Or it would make a cool present for someone.

Good luck on your quest. I'm jealous.

Thanks for your reply James, I am starting to think I should 'dip my toe' so to speak with the whole vinyl thing, at least to give me some sort of benchmark as other have suggested.

With that in mind, my friend has offered to loan me one of his Technics SL1210 MkII decks. He has done some DJ'ing on them, but they are in good condition. I'd probably need to stump up for a new cartridge though.

I have no idea if this deck is any good or not. Would you guys suggest giving it a whirl or will I be selling the whole vinyl experience short?

If its a goer, what cartridge would I need?

I've heard good things about the Technics... but don't dismiss the Italian Gold Note decks whatever you do.

I am saving up for one - and right now I have the Rega Planar 2 filling in while I wait.

advertisement

Back