advertisement

Suggestions for first vinyl rig . . .

I found the CA decks looked very bling but sounded quite poor. Thin and a bit shrill. I consider them to the Bang and Olafson of high end decks, really more appealing to lifestylers

The michell gyrodeck doesn't do anything badly but everything is just a bit below average especially solidity and timing. The orbe is better as it should be but isn't outstanding in any respect. No fanboi defensiveness from anyone please. This is just my opinion

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...tone-arm-as-low-price-2014-04-06-analog-92808

On at $9k which would translate to £5k with a bit of bargaining. People have preferred this setup even to an SME30

Stick a decent cheap cartridge like a £200 ortofon on for the time being then save for the brinkmann emt

Another for under £4k sans arm

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...io-bardo-2014-04-07-analog-92025-escondido-ca

A used SME 10 would be within your budget but its the weak deck of the line up with serious short comings. If you want a tidy over civilised sound and just listen to classical then go for it otherwise avoid. Plenty here would disagree I am sure

Blade, You really really really need to take a listen to some TTs, rather than assume other people's likes and dislikes will coincide with yours.

A record cleaning machine (often abbreviated to RCM here) is a must. I really like my VPI 16.5, but others like there Okki Nokkis etc. etc.

Absolutely - get down to Walrus if you can. I think they have most or all of the decks we have been discussing

Actually, it's not just what they sound like, but how they operate, and quite frankly, how they look for most of us.

FWIW I had a Gyro last year - always liked the look of them :) It sounded very nice from what I remember, but just wasn't easy to use and live with.

I now have a re-engineered Garrard 301 (from the Classic Turntable Company) in a granite plinth. It looks fabulous, sounds fabulous and is a breeze to use.

You may hate it (at least on the first two counts!).

I like, and use, an SME turntable, so that's my preference. For £5000 you could get a new SME 10 with matching SME arm and a decent cartridge. There's a reason they are desired all around the world.
Having said that, you might not like the sound (all so personal). If it were me, I'd start by auditioning an SME 10 and a similarly expensive Linn LP12. That gives you two reference points, which you can then use as a sort of 'compass' as you hear other stuff. Remember that you may want service and factory support at some point. Michell are also superb at that...look for the firms with a long history. That's where the value lies. So, for me, Linn. Michell and SME.
Good luck, and be aware that you are at risk of having your love of digital sound seriously tested. Good analogue is awesome.

I like, and use, an SME turntable, so that's my preference. For £5000 you could get a new SME 10 with matching SME arm and a decent cartridge. There's a reason they are desired all around the world.
Having said that, you might not like the sound (all so personal). If it were me, I'd start by auditioning an SME 10 and a similarly expensive Linn LP12. That gives you two reference points, which you can then use as a sort of 'compass' as you hear other stuff. Remember that you may want service and factory support at some point. Michell are also superb at that...look for the firms with a long history. That's where the value lies.
Good luck, and be aware that you are at risk of having your love of digital sound seriously tested. Good analogue is awesome.

Yep, buying from a well established maker should ensure long term serviceability and value retention.

Avid make some nice decks too BTW.

If you only have a hundred or so LPs go the Rega RP6 route. It is simple and gets you a long way towards the top end for comparatively little outlay. Diminishing returns and all that. I currently run a WT Amadeus GTA with a Cadenza blue and someday plan on the RP6 with a good MM just to simplify matters. After a couple of days I won't notice the WT has gone; this caper is, after all, mostly a load of nonsense that keeps silly old men from weeding the garden.

Hi Blade1001
Even at this rarified level, there is still lots of choice. You may care to look at a current thread running about the Rokxan Xerxes turntable, in which I posted my own experiences of auditioning a Linn LP12, a Roksan Xerxes and a Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace. The differences between them were considerable.

There are relatively few dealers who can allow you to make such back-to-back comparisons.

May I suggest that you give Audio Republic a call in a couple of weeks' time (they are on holiday overseas for the next 3 weeks)? They stock Linn, Rega, Roksan, SME, Michell and NAS turntables.

If you read the Roksan Xerxes thread, then you will know that I enjoy the LP12 and the Xerxes, but your tastes may be very different, so it really is best to audition them for yourself. Do not be swayed by single brand protagonists, however assertively they write!

Best regards, FT

Again very much FWIW, I was rather taken by the original Roksan Xerxes I bought and sold here (it was a stop-gap while I awaited my 301).

Cracking deck, and if indicative of what the later decks are capable of I'd have them on my audition list.

If you can get a couple of decks at home at a time and whittle them down over a few days you might be in for a fun journey.

I should stress the importance of a RCM, and cleaning your old vinyl before making comparisons, assuming you'll be using your collection for demos. I think I'm right in saying that everyone who uses one is surprised at the massive improvements these can make to your old vinyl.

Sure I saw an Orbe/SME V combo in the classifieds recently that is well within your budget. Definitely worth a listen.

OK, here’s my take on this.

Do you want a fit and forget option or are you an inveterate tweaker? With vinyl replay, you can twiddle to your heart’s content, if you wish. But not everyone either wants or is able to do that.

Fit and forget

new or modern:

TW-Acustic
Brinkmann
Acoustic Solid
SME
Rega RP10
Palmer
NA
VPI

vintage fit and forget:

Technics SP10
Garrard 301/401 (preferably rebuilt by someone like Audiograil, Bastin or Loricraft) in a decent plinth (slate or multilayer ply)
Thorens TD124

More fiddly - essentially any sprung TT will need more work than a solid plinth TT

Linn LP12
Michell Orbe/Gyro
PT
Roksan Xerxes

Look at the tonearm and cartridge together. Essentially a lower compliance cart will need a higher effective mass tonearm. Again, some tonearms are pretty much fit and forget. Some can take a while to set uop (eg unipivots like a Hadcock). Personally I have used a lot of carts and tonearms over the last 35 years (inc some very expensive MCs). My preference now is a Decca in a Hadcock, but I’m sure I will hear lots of dissenters at that suggestion.

Good luck

Charlie

Thanks you for all the replies guys, its very much appreciated. I didn't have proper internet access last night, so I will reply to each one now. . .

Blade, You really really really need to take a listen to some TTs, rather than assume other people's likes and dislikes will coincide with yours.

A record cleaning machine (often abbreviated to RCM here) is a must. I really like my VPI 16.5, but others like there Okki Nokkis etc. etc.

Ah, don't worry, I have bought lots of audio gear over the years, and home audition everything at this level. All I'm trying to do here is establish a shortlist of pieces to take a closer look at.

I found the CA decks looked very bling but sounded quite poor. Thin and a bit shrill. I consider them to the Bang and Olafson of high end decks, really more appealing to lifestylers

The michell gyrodeck doesn't do anything badly but everything is just a bit below average especially solidity and timing. The orbe is better as it should be but isn't outstanding in any respect. No fanboi defensiveness from anyone please. This is just my opinion

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...tone-arm-as-low-price-2014-04-06-analog-92808

On at $9k which would translate to £5k with a bit of bargaining. People have preferred this setup even to an SME30

Stick a decent cheap cartridge like a £200 ortofon on for the time being then save for the brinkmann emt

Another for under £4k sans arm

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tu...io-bardo-2014-04-07-analog-92025-escondido-ca

A used SME 10 would be within your budget but its the weak deck of the line up with serious short comings. If you want a tidy over civilised sound and just listen to classical then go for it otherwise avoid. Plenty here would disagree I am sure

Thanks for the additional suggestions Jek, though to be honest I'm not willing to risk buying a deck off Audiogon. I have bought stuff off their in the past, but the level of spend, and the delicacy of a TT for international shipment is not something I want to take a chance on.

Hi Charlie
a great turntable list, though a correction on one point if I may:
The original, 25 year old design of Roksan Xerxes was prone to sagging.

The Xerxes 20 and Xerxes 20+ are not prone to sagging, nor indeed to needing any fiddling at all.

As the Op is looking at a new or nearly new turntable, the Xerxes 20+ is the relevant Roksan turntable here. It is a modern, fit & forget design by your classification. Mine certainly has been for the last 5 years, unless you count the repeated lowering & raising of the tonearm cueing lever every 20 minutes or so :)

Best regards, FT

Actually, it's not just what they sound like, but how they operate, and quite frankly, how they look for most of us.

FWIW I had a Gyro last year - always liked the look of them :) It sounded very nice from what I remember, but just wasn't easy to use and live with.

I now have a re-engineered Garrard 301 (from the Classic Turntable Company) in a granite plinth. It looks fabulous, sounds fabulous and is a breeze to use.

You may hate it (at least on the first two counts!).

Yeah, true, you have a good point. Whilst there aren't any that I particularly don't like the look of, some certainly look like more for the money than others.

Usability is definitely a factor, whilst I don't mind a bit of tweaking, I don't want to be constantly sitting listening to it thinking it might not be properly optimised.

advertisement

Back