advertisement

Suggestions for first vinyl rig . . .

Well my friends Technics 1210 MkII is on route to me, I just need to order a cartridge for it. I was thinking of the Ortofon 2M blue, I figure that I should be able to sell it on without too much of a loss when I decide which deck to fully invest in.

Well my friends Technics 1210 MkII is on route to me, I just need to order a cartridge for it. I was thinking of the Ortofon 2M blue, I figure that I should be able to sell it on without too much of a loss when I decide which deck to fully invest in.

Scratch that actually, I've just realised that the Ortofon is a MM cart, I was hoping to get an MC. So perhaps their Ortofon MC-3 Turbo?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Try one of the Denon MCs which go nicely with the Technics arms. Note the DL 103 will need extra mass added, but the others won't.

The ortofon Rondo series is much better than the MC Turbo, and can be had at good prices as they're being replaced.

Try one of the Denon MCs which go nicely with the Technics arms. Note the DL 103 will need extra mass added, but the others won't.

The ortofon Rondo series is much better than the MC Turbo, and can be had at good prices as they're being replaced.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I can't seem to find a Rhondo Blue for under £500, or a Red for under £300, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

I have actually managed to get hold of an MC-3 Turbo from e-bay anyway, with only 30 hours on it for just under £120, so that should do me anyway.

My whole reason for doing this is just to try out vinyl in my system, and also give me some sort of benchmark with which to compare other, more expensive decks.

Incidentally I collected the Technics 1210 from my mate - it is a very nicely made and solid piece of kit.

I'm looking forward to hooking everything up and giving it a whirl!

The Technics is a good deck but not especially in DJ configuration. It needs a fair bit of work. Do you like tinkering? Presuming the phono stage you have is for low output MC, then a Dynavector 20X sits very happily on the Technics.

May I also add a Well Tempered Versalex or Simplex to your rather long list, if you don't mind a golf ball in a pile of goo: http://welltemperedlab.wordpress.com

this is the combo that i have and it is a great combination - what phono stage do you have?

advertisement

Back