advertisement

Sugden Connoisseur - lost classic? (part II)

Howdy all,
I intend to try, if & when I get time:):

- 5 50 cents not 6.
- 5 1$ Aus coins , 25mm dia & same thick as 50c.
- 5 10c about 25mm & thinner.
- have emailed closest English colleague at work to see if he has 5 pennies.
- 10 inch record +pads. Pads on top right?

Incidentally this last method is like the one I have already tried. ie a label section of a vinyl record cut out and I put gel like pads on top of that. At first I thought this was good and then I thought it was awful.

The other time I have seen this kind of thing is the transcription TT. It had an array of pads to hold the record only also. Plus a leaf spring like suspension system. It sounded pretty good actually.

http://www.thefunkyway.com/gearmus/...ference Hydraulic Transcription turntable.jpg

chs,
P.

You can see from the Transcriptor & the Sony pics that although they are 12" platters the effective platter support is around 10" diam which equates with the connoisseur BD1 & BD2 platter size.

Examples of true platterless design supported by the label area only are mostly found in DIY examples - I can't think of a manuf'd design of this

Also Vinyl is made thinner & more flexible these days - older records are stiffer & more self supporting

5 50cent pieces I reckon sounds best.
Tiny bit of blu tac under and bit of cloth stuck to top.
Let me know if you want a set and I'll mail you to UK.

P.

DSCN0727 by pulitout, on Flickr

An alien?
Or a CREATURE from the Black Lagoon?

Let's have a closer look.....

DSCN0725 by pulitout, on Flickr

Well,well its a.....turn...table? Platter? Mat?

DSCN0724 by pulitout, on Flickr

a spinning disk from outer space.

THIS THING IS MY 1989 (original) version of the Farkass mod.

DSCN0720 by pulitout, on Flickr

And finally; the black and white version- for those of you who eschew technicolour and all modern wrinkles of tonal colour.

Someone will be wondering whether what is beneath those 5 felt circular 'buttons' is an Australian 50p piece ????

Aha! felt pads: 6 of them:) Must be before you changed to 5 ;)

Thanks very much Eguth that was awesome. So good to see a pic of this Hallowed rig! The actual machine that dates back decades. It has low WAF ( wife acceptance factor ) and looks like only built for the sound. A bit like my place too. Love it:). I keep meaning to get around to throwing up some pics of mine. I wonder what pre amps and amp/speakers you are using?

chs,
P.

paully 99
It is good that you pointed out how many coins I use. Maths was never my strongest point. I must make a confession: after abandoning the original 3 pennies I added three more which, I think, must add up to six. And six it is and has been and shall remain; as will my face- RED.

My system has is tri- amped, largely home-made/extensively modified and very complicated and different from any commercially available one. This is not the thread where I should go into any detail, but I would redirect you to read my other threads, some of which give further details.

WAF depends upon the W. Could move her to another room?

Best

eguth p.s. fOR THOSE WHO NEED LARGER IMAGES click on the image, go to flickr, and search for the magnifing glass symbol. If you click on that one it will go as large as it goes. You will find the maginfying glass symbol between the words 'newer' and 'older'.

It was good to see some photos Eguth

I wouldn't worry about 5 or 6 pads, after all I thought I had a BD1 for years despite the fact the base had BD2 stamped on it. Simple brain lock.

This is a full view, including the wall- mounted motor.

Modifications within the modified concrete- filled plinth are, of course hidden. The modifications to the motor mounting and other changes within the motor box are hidden by the motor box case. The waterbed is hidden because it is sandwiched between the plinth and the sand- filled wall- mounted shelf.

Otherwise the photo shows the modified unit modified as described in my Audio Conversions articles.

DSCN0436 by pulitout, on Flickr

You don’t have to copy the exterior or finish or colours to build this.

An architect, TONY REES, designed and built a modified BD1 along my article’s lines incorporating his own ideas. He built his unit with perforated brushed aluminium, specially patterned dedshete and solid mahogany.

I regret that no photo is available. It was the most beautiful turntable I have ever seen: full stop.

pauly99

Utterly fascinating. I had no knowledge of the existence of this turntable.
I have never come across any reference to it, by Arnold Sugden or anyone else.

My Italian is not very good, but so far as I understand it there is no reference to Arnold Sugden being either the designer or the constructor of this turntable. Do you think it is one he made?

At any rate, the idea of mounting a TT motor seperately from the plinth was around at the time I used it, and many others used it before and after I did. They did so for the same reason I did, because it improves the vibration performance and, therefore, the sound- in highly revealing systems.

Many thanks for adding the link.

Eguth, Havefun, All,

pauly99

no reference to Arnold Sugden being either the designer or the constructor of this turntable. Do you think it is one he made?

I agree I don't know if it's really a conny by Arnold. I've never heard of it. But if you look at the pictures the transparent platter comes off and underneath looks like a 10 inch platter not unlike ours:).

Would be good if there was a real inventory or history of sugden connys somewhere on the internet to see all the models produced. I have another question, because my Dads old conny was not a BD2 and I swear I remember it had a 12 inch platter. But I can't see these on the net. Dad sold his without telling ME! It's a point of enourmous angst in the family. A big mistake:(. We try to put it behind us never mind ...lol. He got it from this company called Encel in Melbourne. Famous hifhi co / shop here from 70's. Still going actually. In the 70's Encel would plinth the connys and sell them here badged Encel. The BD1 I picked up and use today is Encel. Nearly posted some pics last night but again no time.

Does anyone have info on BD1's made with 12 inch platters?

cheers,
Paul.

They weren't BD1 but another type - BD3 maybe & the pully would also be different (unless its the Craftsman variety you are thinking of)

IIRC the platter was filled with gypsum / plaster

These ebay photos look totally DIY to me - good but diy.

Eguth, Havefun, All,

Would be good if there was a real inventory or history of sugden connys somewhere on the internet to see all the models produced. I have another question, because my Dads old conny was not a BD2 and I swear I remember it had a 12 inch platter. But I can't see these on the net. Dad sold his without telling ME! .

Does anyone have info on BD1's made with 12 inch platters?

cheers,
Paul.

Yours is the first in what I suspect will be a long line of posts asking questions that have already been discussed and (sometimes) answered in Part I of this Thread. Click on link to get to Part I...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18144

If the link will not work go to Post #30 of THIS thread (Pt II) and click on the link there to Part I which does work!

If you go to Part I and view page 30 POST #443 you will find a THREAD INDEX on page 30 of Part I of the thread.

I SUGGEST THAT YOU MAKE A NOTE OF THIS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

Then look under ‘B’ in the Index where you will find a ref to Post #360 which gives info on various models.

Thanks will do. Have noted the index. So the BD101 may have been my Dad's.:)

Another question, is there a way to just do a mass print of part one of this thread?

I started reading this thread from the start yesterday and got up to page 8 only! It's a very interesting read. I wouldn't mind printing the lot and reading at leisure but I can only bring up a page at a time and 45 pages !! phew.

If you can advise me on how to print the whole lot that would be appreciated.

cheers,
Paul.

This ebay item is for an old advertisment of when local hifi dealer Encel was appointed distributor for Connoisseur in Australia. circa 1966. Only a few years later Encel was importing these and plinthing them themselves and adding either the SAU1 arm or a Grace. They sold alot in Melbourne. And they were very good sounding rigs. I was about 8 years old when I first heard a brand new shining BD101 with a grace arm and cart. I remember my copy of the Philadelphia Philharmonic conducted by Eugene Ormandy sounding A1 a few years later again. I've been enrthralled by hifi ever since, and just think it was all thanks to this ol guy named Sugden!;)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=130657549742

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
paully99
"... is there a way to just do a mass print of part one of this thread?
"... If you can advise me on how to print the whole lot that would be appreciated..."

This is question that Tony L may well be able to advise you on. I suggest that you send a pm to him.

Hi,

I think I have a speed issue. Wow and flutter. It's only apparent sometimes and with bits of piano.

Is this likely the 1) belt which seems a bit slack, or 2) the motor, or 3) the fact I put a smidge of vaseline on the belt to quieten it on the platter?

I tried a Dental FLoss belt. At first I thought it was wonderful. But then I noticed it was playing at a speed TOO SLOW! shock horror. Not a wow and flutter variation but a steady slower. How can this be since the diamter of the pully and platter is the same? Do you think the floss belt is slipping? I think this could be the case with the floss belt.

I went to the "index" but nothing on speed.
I tried to search on speed but nothing came up ? ... bizzarre.

If I need a new belt are there any ideas on how to get or make one? I have a jazz audio night at my place in less than 2 weeks and need a fix quicker than it will take to get a new belt posted to me from say the states.

any help appreciated,
thanks,
Paul.

advertisement

Back