advertisement

Subwoofer setup

Morning Keith,

Sorry for the barrage of questions. This morning I will measure the speakers only as following:

Mic pointed straight at speakers aiming at the centre from listening position where my head is. I will use the calibration file that isn't the 90 degree one.

What db level should I measure at?

Cheers

Use the ‘test check’ feature when it goes Green you are good to go, it shouldn’t need to be too loud around 80dB.
Keith

He Keith,

I've re done the measurements with just the speakers. What should I do next before displaying them again to you. Should I apply smoothing etc?

Cheers

Sam yes just send a screenshot 1/6th smoothing is fine, you can save the file as as an MDAT and then other REW users can open/adjust them.
What is the rest of your system, if some EQ is needed will you be able to implement ?
Keith

Sam yes just send a screenshot 1/6th smoothing is fine, you can save the file as as an MDAT and then other REW users can open/adjust them.
What is the rest of your system, if some EQ is needed will you be able to implement ?
Keith
Perhaps it doesn't matter if you're using REW to generate the EQ filters, but if your configuring EQ manually then you want the least amount of smoothing at low frequencies otherwise it's going to mask the true amplitude and Q of the peaks you're trying to EQ.

Keith

I have a Naim Atom and use Roon which I beli
REW recommends not smoothing, but just to have a quick look at the FR it’s fine.
Keith

Im going to apologise in advance if ive messed this up again. I have the MDAT saved but not sure the best way to share them?

In terms of system I have a Naim Atom and Proac Tablette 10 signature speakers and 2xRel Tzero Mk 3 which are connected via highline from speakers.
Im using Roon which I believe has some kind of EQ ability.

Proac Left measurement

https://postimg.cc/w1FhCKmM

Proac Right measurement

https://postimg.cc/K37v327y

As I say probably made a pigs ear of this again so sorry.

Hi Keith,

I'm actually just waiting for one to be delivered today and only have one up and running.

I'm not sure I've even managed to set it up correctly. As still experimenting with crossover etc. I emailed Proac to find the best crossover point in theory but I'm still playing around with it.

Any pointers welcome.

Sam there is quite a deep cancellation especially on the left speaker starting around 70Hz are the speakers 1 metre ( ish) away from the front wall?
Roon has peq and it’s excellent extremely versatile.
Keith

80Hz is generally considered a good starting point, because above 80 you can begin to hear directionality .
I would measure again when both are set up, place them next to the mains as discussed, if the 70Hz cancellation is SBIR then we could push the speakers closer to the front wall , between 10-60cm and then sort out any peaks with Roon.
Keith

Sam there is quite a deep cancellation especially on the left speaker starting around 70Hz are the speakers 1 metre ( ish) away from the front wall?
Roon has peq and it’s excellent extremely versatile.
Keith

The speakers aren't ported and the most I can get is about 32cm from the wall. Supposedly they are okish near rear wall.

There is a window near the left speaker unfortunately, about 1 meter.

The speakers are about 1 meter from the side walls. They are on Iso puck mini.

I could bring the left speaker in a little away from the window to see if it helps?

Placing them closer to the front wall will give you a bit more reinforcement and you won’t be cancelling your own bass, 1 metre from the sides is fine.
With Roon you could implement high and low pass filters , hours of fun for the whole family!

It was fiddling with subs and MiniDSP processors some years ago that persuaded me that full range loudspeakers ( with built in peq) were just far less hassle.
Keith

Placing them closer to the front wall will give you a bit more reinforcement and you won’t be cancelling your own bass, 1 metre from the sides is fine.
With Roon you could implement high and low pass filters , hours of fun for the whole family!

It was fiddling with subs and MiniDSP processors some years ago that persuaded me that full range loudspeakers ( with built in peq) were just far less hassle.
Keith

Ok, thanks.

Yes full range would have been easier. As you can see I'm making this up as I go along.

I can barely measure with Rew so hopefully I can do that stuff with Roon.

So move the speakers a bit closer to the wall and remeasure?

Does the measurements I shared suggest any kind of crossover setting to start with in the sub?

I presume get the subs integrated as best as possible before starting with Roon?

Sorry more questions.

Sam

So with traditional loudspeakers if their bass set off a standing wave ( purely dependent upon the rooms dimensions) this could lead to ‘boomy’ or ‘one more’ bass, the only way traditionally to cure this was to shuffle the speakers out until you found the quarter wave length of the frequency that was causing the issue.
So 70Hz nearly a five metre long wavelength one quarter a metre 25cm say.
But with Roon you can push them back, avoid any cancellation gain a bit more headroom and if there are standing wave peaks we can use Roon’s PEQ to lop the top off those peaks.
That 70-150Hz area is important for punch we don’t really want a broad cancellation there.
Keith

It might be worth pointing out that the first job is to find the best position of the main speakers for the individual listener. The best position for someone interested in their hifi recreating the best illusion of the original music will likely not be the best position for someone interested in using there hifi to analyse the recording and vice versa. Both approaches are of course perfectly valid but are likely to lead to different solutions. Of course, it may be that the “best” position for the mains has to be compromised to get the best overall presentation with subs and mains.

The beauty of using subs is that one can have the main speakers in the “best” position according to taste and the subs in the best place for low frequencies where their position is less important aurally. In my experience this is often not adjacent to the mains and is why even full, or near full, range speakers can benefit from subs.

I find measuring with REW is an invaluable tool in setting up subs; the alignment tool in REW can save a great deal of time and measuring when determining phase and gain. The only thing is to keep correlating the measurements with what you are hearing and learn what matters to us individually rather than get too hung up on achieving a flat frequency response for the sake of it.

As for position of subs within the room there are no end of theories and opinions of what works best, even more so with multiple subs. There are many threads on this and other forums as well as guidelines on manufacturer websites. The SVS subs website may be worth a look even if using a different make.

advertisement

Back