advertisement

Subwoofer setup

I meant the bass seems to drop off very quickly below 50Hz I thought there might be a bit more extension?
What do the subs specs say?
Keith

I meant the bass seems to drop off very quickly below 50Hz I thought there might be a bit more extension?
What do the subs specs say?
Keith

I am not certain on setting the phase 0 - 180. I ran a pink noise 30-80 hz and measure the difference with a spl meter and it is louder on the different setting that the one i have been measuring with the measurement is with the phase adjusted. Im not sure what is desirable in this situation

phase-adjusted.jpg

Just make two more measurements altering phase.
Any boominess from the 50Hz, you probably now just need to listen to lots of music, see what sets off the room, if anything.
For example London Grammars ‘hey now’ about 40 seconds in perhaps.
Best,
Keith

Just make two more measurements altering phase.
Any boominess from the 50Hz, you probably now just need to listen to lots of music, see what sets off the room, if anything.
For example London Grammars ‘hey now’ about 40 seconds in perhaps.
Best,
Keith
Thanks Keith,

Sorry I don't follow two more measurements on what regard the above was just left channel only.

Cheers

Sam you should also enter your room’s dimensions, your listening position and the speakers/subs positions in to REW ‘room simulator’ you can virtually drag things around , might be interesting.
Keith

Just to check how adjusting phase affects the FR or have you measured already and I have missed them?
Keith

This is left and right lower and left and right measured at the same time upper. All with the phase reversed from previous measurements. I ve run a sine wave at the crossover frequency and it it is notably louder when set to this setting.
inverted-phase.jpg

Less cancellation at 100Hz?

Sorry not familiar with that term.

I had a listen and the bass has a slightly wild feel but seems more natural. It seems better integrated with the speakers and everything seems a little more natural sounding.

The bass has a slightly wild feel to it and could come down a little, but this phase setting seem more exciting and natural

Cheers

The dip on the FR at around 100Hz appears less severe in the last measurement, less cancellation is good remembering the ideal would be less wiggly as possible.
Keith

The dip on the FR at around 100Hz appears less severe in the last measurement, less cancellation is good remembering the ideal would be less wiggly as possible.
Keith

Thanks,

I'll have a further play around but at the moment it has a slightly more live feel on these settings.

Just trying to work out how best to proceed.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Just trying to work out how best to proceed. I think the 50hz is making adjustments difficult. Kind of resorted to fine tuning by ear now as any adjustments seem to boost the 50hz range. When listening by ear I've ended up dropping the gain and have the crossover about 55hz.

I would like to try and use Roon to adjust things. Is it best to proceed with the settings that sound best or try with the last graph I posted which has perhaps better response graph other than the 50hz boost.

Cheers

Sam

I know this is probably a stupid question but here goes. If the two subs I have are currently wired via high level connection direct from the speakers will the room correction still work?

Looking at some of the tutorials other connection methods are typically employed.

Cheers

I know this is probably a stupid question but here goes. If the two subs I have are currently wired via high level connection direct from the speakers will the room correction still work?

Looking at some of the tutorials other connection methods are typically employed.

Cheers
If the subs are connected to the speakers via hi-level connection then, unless there is DSP/room correction built-into the sub itself, any room correction applied before the speakers and subs will equally affect both.

If the subs are connected to the speakers via hi-level connection then, unless there is DSP/room correction built-into the sub itself, any room correction applied before the speakers and subs will equally affect both.

Thanks,
I assumed that but was unsure.

Thanks for clarifying

Just incase anyone else has been following this and in a similar position and following this I would thought I would let you know the outcome.

Realising I was probably the limiting factor in the situation I went down the easy route and bought a Nad C658 which had Dirac built in.

Dirac took care of all the guess work and the NAD enables low and high pass filters in the unit and was easy to set the subs up.

You only get free access to Dirac to correct the bass regions 20 - 500. On initial setup pre Dirac the Naim Atom I was previously using is definitely better than the NAD. Post Dirac the NAD definitely edges the Atom and I haven't yet corrected beyond 20-500.

Dirac did all the hard work and I would definitely recommend it for those who want the easy route. Without rolling out all the usual hifi cliches it definitely balances everything and gives the feeling of soundstage appearing where it's should and bass is nicely cleaned up.

I did a before and after with my partner who is normally indifferent to such things and even she said the Dirac corrected sounded pretty damn good and was pushing for the $99 upgrade to full Dirac frequency correction. Normally she just laughs at me when I change cables and ask if she can hear a difference, so that is a pretty big recommendation.

The Dirac setup in Nad is also good as it corrects an attached RegaP6(sacrilege I know) as a result the whole image of everything is ridiculous wide even more so than using streaming from Quobuz.

The only negative is the NAD needs a separate Poweramp and I have the NAD running into Naim Nap100 which can be picked up pretty cheaply now and in my opinion is definitely a value proposition.

In summary

Atom is better in a decent room.

Nad sounds better in a poor room with Dirac enabled.

As a result I'm going to sell the Atom as I can't correct my room with bass traps etc.

I will post a further update for anyone interested when I use the full Dirac frequency correction.

Cheers

Last edited:
I thought I would follow up that I did the full correction opting for the $99 upgrade. Definitely the best return for an upgrade I've had. The difference wasn't as massive as the free 20-500 frequency correction bundled for free.

That said it's definitely the best sounding system I've had. If you said for example I could swap it for a more expensive one for free I would happily turn you down as the Dirac integration seems to be the main reason. It also enables the crossover to be upped to 90 and get rid of a big speaker null.

I miss the Atom and if Naim ever incorporated Dirac I would be really interested. Might demo a Nad amp in the future but at the moment I don't have any urge to upgrade anything other than getting a solid pair of RCA for the subs.

Thanks everyone especially Keith for your help as I think it meant that I found the use of Dirac really easy as I had an idea what was going on.

Cheers

advertisement

Back