advertisement

Stuff from the 70s. An all that.

Jeez, school dinners? Green boiled dry potatoes and deep sea fish! Grim beyond belief, admittedly that was the 60s not the 70s

Rissoles, I used to like them, haven't seen one in years
One regular offering was Dry mash, beetroot, Fish - three things that don't really go together and this was the 70s!
So the new decade didn't bring any better menu choices.

Andy

And bullying was acceptable in schools. Ah, the good old days.

At primary school a teacher used his fist on my mate and I. We were 10 years old.
We had to bend down in front of the class and he hit me with his fist on my arse so hard that I slammed into the desks in front of me. And then he hit me again.

If the 80s was about the shrimp cocktail, then the 70s was about the banana split - replete with the boat dish.

61rlBxyGeXL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

At primary school a teacher used his fist on my mate and I. We were 10 years old.
We had to bend down in front of the class and he hit me with his fist on my arse so hard that I slammed into the desks in front of me. And then he hit me again.
It was this kind of thing that led to the banning of corporal punishment and the inevitable slide into discipline problems that schools have now.
They moved from too much to not enough!
Andy
Edit: The teacher in 'The Wall' film is nearer the reality than most kids today realise.
I remember getting walloped off a teacher because my written commas were too big!
She was a nun as I went to a convent school at the time. Lovely people. You hear the stories now of girls in Ireland working in Convent run laundries. Boy have I some memories of that school!

Do you think there is no link between the lack of discipline in schools and students misbehaving and lack of respect for authority?

Andy

I don’t have data for discipline in schools or lack of respect for authority. What I will say is that many people in positions of authority over the years that I’ve been on this planet have been total bastards who don’t deserve any respect at all. It has to be earned, not given.

I don’t have data for discipline in schools or lack of respect for authority. What I will say is that many people in positions of authority over the years that I’ve been on this planet have been total bastards who don’t deserve any respect at all. It has to be earned, not given.
Agreed. However I think they went too far when the only sanction teachers have to disruptive pupils is exclusion from school.
Misbehave and we'll give you a holiday!
I don't know the answer but someway should be found so that students who want to learn can and those that don't are put elsewhere.

Andy

advertisement

Back