1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Strangest thing you ate

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Bart, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Bart

Bart pfm Member

I don’t think I can offer anything more exotic than snails (and I have no recollection of the taste), but would be interested to hear if anyone has tried something really unusual on their travels and what taste or effect it had.

Tarzan likes this.
  2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Mangosteens.

It's not a kind of mango or related to mangos, but man was it a tasty fruit.

Joe

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Fish that wasn't in breadcrumbs or batter.

I still shudder now thinking of it.

eternumviti likes this.
  4. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

Something that took a course of penicillin to get rid of.

Bart likes this.
  5. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

I Eat Cannibals

6. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Wait till GT see this thread, he will be all over it :)

Bloss

linnfomaniac83, Spike and gintonic like this.
  7. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

In France, I had snails (you have to, don't you), but could not bear the thought of whole ones in shells, so went with the chopped up in garlic sauce option.
    In Florida, tried frogs legs and alligator.

8. Cav

Cav pfm Member

An 8 year old frozen waffle. I did not know it was 8 years old until I took the first bite, thought this tastes a bit musty, and looked at the box. It had been in the bottom of our freezer for 8 years.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Zebra, kudu, gemsbok, woodcock (not to be repeated - an acquired taste, but I'd give snipe a go), grey squirrel, mangosteens, black mulberries, quince, yew berries (sweet but bland - DO NOT EAT THE SEEDS), teal, pintail, wigeon, muntjac, sika, roe venison, whelks (an extinct delicacy in the UK I believe), winkles, crunchy frog in lark's vomit

Big Tabs likes this.
  10. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Snails and frog legs both here and in France. Alligator in New Orleans. First time really nice second time really rank. BBQ’d Kangaroo in the outback after shooting it from the back of a Ute with some barking farmers . I wouldn’t condone it now but I was young and stupid. I don’t think my bullet actually hit it. Had all the usually’s such as buffalo, Ostrich, goat, horse and Venison.

11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Venison varies from species to species, gender to gender and carcass to carcass, from very bland to to die for

12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yes those as well as dog, snake, tarantula, hippo (so they told me), crickets, grass cutter. Any seafood, sea cucumber was odd. I refused sharks fin

13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

One of my French favourites is duck gizzard salad.

The worst thing I’ve ever eaten was some tripe dim sum, I had to spit it out before I gagged (literally).

14. deanf

deanf pfm Member

I've had a few dodgy doners, I shudder to think what was in some of them. Otherwise, kangaroo, crocodile and sucking lobster heads has to be a bit strange. How anyone could eat insects and creepies is beyond me.

15. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I used to work with a guy who ate road-kill before it was even known as road-kill, back on the 60-70's -

swan, coot, moorhen, hedgehog, and I am reasonably sure stoat and/or weasel.

They have been exterminated here now, but I would have liked to try coypu

16. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Mopane worms - they taste like plasterboard, not that I normally eat plasterboard

17. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

that is delicious, duck tongues are great as well. When I was working in Taiwan, my mate had his flat burgled, and all they stole was the vac packed duck tongues he had in the fridge.

In Taiwan, I drank snake blood.

18. chartz

chartz pfm Member

The other night I was with line dancers and some had brought dry worms and crickets for picnic.

I was offered some but I said no way. Never, ever.

As a Frenchman I eat and love frog legs but snails are a no-no.

19. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Hogget - as a burger, the very best burger (not that I eat many) and the best sheep meat that I have ever eaten, apart from ANY of the lamb from a certain butcher in N Wales.....

I have eaten nothing at all unusual abroad - I travel almost not at all outside of the UK.

20. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

It’s always fun to tell people eating prawns that prawns are closely related to cockroaches. They not of course.

deanf likes this.