advertisement

Strangest thing you ate

Leberkäse - a bavarian "delicacy" best described as a cross between spam and blancmange.

Vile. Utterly vile and unfortunately often served to honoured guests, so difficult to politely refuse.

Totally vile. Really really vile.

Vile.

Wow! This is making me laugh whilst simultaneously feeling a tad nauseous.
I don’t think I could ever eat snake, too bony I’ve heard plus they are totally repellant; or cat for some reason, the thought of cat flesh gives me the creeps.
No dog reported yet ..... or are you hiding something?
What about those seal(?) carcasses they stuff with birds and leave underground to ferment for 6 months up north somewhere (Huddersfield?).

I did eat regularly eat seagull but that restaurant has since been closed down by ‘elf and safety.

Used to eat some great noodle dishes in backstreet places in Thailand due to being with a native who knew what they were doing.

After learning to read a bit I was wandering around alone and dropped in on some back alley place that the sign told me served a favourite.

Ordered away and got very approving looks and thumbs up from the guy serving me, but the dish looked very different to what I knew. Tucked in anyway but really didn't get on with it so stopped when I thought I'd salvaged some credibility from the situation.

Some weeks later I learned that the thing that looked like Percy's ruff from Blackadder was fish internals and the big red blob was pig blood.

All sorts of stuff in Japan. Ask what is was afterwards, not before. Mostly the textures were odd and the flavour rather 'delicate' to non existent.
On a second visit a multi course (15 or so) 'banquet' there was a course with two or three very small mushrooms. Only grow for a couple of days a year and are a great delicacy - no kidding! they were tasteless.

Lion steak in an African themed restaurant in Germany. Was good.

Andouiette was on my plate in France - I timidly managed a morsel - and left the rest.

Dog in Korea (no one admitted it was but I reckon it must of been - i was one of two guests at a show-off meal in a private room - waitresses entered on their knees). You had to barbeque the slices yourself on a domed metal cooking surface with an oil burner underneath. Kimchi I could barely manage too. Many courses, all washed down with French Brandy.

Snails (generally squidgy lumps in strong Garlic - but at least one lot were rather nice). Frogs legs - are OK.

Abalone in San Francisco.
Squirrel in St John in London, and I guess their heart sandwiches too.
Cod’s tripes in Nice
All the stuff on the Fat Duck tasting menu.
Sheep’s tripes in Rome.
Suckling pig in Pamplona

My daughter brought some extremely smelly cheese back from a school trip to France. We couldn’t eat it and thought it must be ‘off’, being rather un-travelled at the time. I took it to work and dumped it in a waste paper bin at the end of the corridor, shortly afterwards my boss stormed in warning everyone not to visit the photocopier for a while as some inconsiderate bastard had done the smelliest fart imaginable there.
I still can’t bear the smell of that stuff.

Squirrel in St John in London, and I guess their heart sandwiches too.

I had squirrel in the Butlets Wharf Chop House, was lovely although too gamey for my wife.

I recall a heart (pigeon?) and snail dish that was a regular on the menu of St John near Leicester Square

Branston Pickle. Back then I always tried to be polite with my landlady, but this deadly attack on my palate was just too much, it felt like some sort of cleaning agent.

Many already mentioned so not that strange I guess.
Durian...not a fan
Crocodile....really like it
Cobra...very nice
Dog....meh
Catfish...yum
Tried a few bugs, grasshoppers, ants, not sure what the others were.
Jack fruit
Langon....prefer to lychee
Mangosteen
Dragon fruit....quite bland
Frogs legs
Pickled duck tongues
Dog's charcoal biscuits...still like them :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back