advertisement

Strangest thing you ate

I know that most of the giant tortoises sent from the Galápagos Islands to LZS ended up been scoffed by the sailors as they were delicious apparently. Alfred Russel Wallace indulged in Orangutang meat for years.

Alfred Russel Wallace indulged in Orangutang meat for years.
Bornean natives will eat almost any protein, but don't touch orangutan as they regard them as human, they were never cannibals.
Orang hutan means man of the forest

I once ordered Lutefisk. The most disgusting slimy gag inducing abomination.
I've also eaten dog( only found out afterwards).

In Japan I ate a meal with these weird gooseberry like things in it. Turns out they were pregnant miniature octopi.
I also are a pigeon which was very delicious.

In Japan I ate a meal with these weird gooseberry like things in it. Turns out they were pregnant miniature octopi.
I also are a pigeon which was very delicious.

I had wood pigeon once, I think I would have preferred just the wood!

I had mussels once that had been feeding on juvenile crabs, there were thousands of them in the cooking liquor. One of my dining colleagues couldn't cope with this so I ate his portion too.

Curried fruitbat in an ex-brothel cum restaurant in Mahe Seychelles early 90s

Bear casserole Finland log cabin late 90s

Turbot liver on toast, trawler English Channel 1984.

Fermented and canned Icelandic shark in a Hewlett Packard factory 2000.

Turkey twizxerls, UK 2019. This was bybfar the worst. Well, you have to try everything once don’t you?

Moose vindaloo in Tallinn,

Rotten prawn in Mombasa; couldn't stray more than 30 seconds from a khazi for a week.

Maggot infested camembert, found out why it was so crumbly when I put my glasses on.

Calves liver destined for the dogs, tasted lovely but nearly killed me, good quick way to lose a couple of stone.

Maybe some sell-by dates are worth a read.

I had wood pigeon once, I think I would have preferred just the wood!

Never had a bad pigeon - great in pies and casseroles, or just the fresh breast flash fried, so it's a bit pink. Rook breast is also splendid - like a slightly darker, smaller, gamier pigeon breast. Rooks are also very good slow cooked with bacon and shallots - even if removing the bones is a bit fiddly. I don't really consider wild food strange - although I can understand how some might.

advertisement

Back